Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty

Jul 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
Hi,

Anyone using this processor for their desktops? Planning to build a PC with this processor or a Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6750, depending on whether it fits my budget or not. main uses are for photo editing (lightroom, photoshop)

If your main use is photo editing then might consider a E8200 + Gigabyte G33M-DS2R for $497 @Fuwell at SLS.

The board is micro atx board with a onboard X3100 graphics. This board can Oc'ed better than the P35 and X38 chipset which can go up to FSB 440-450Mhz at most.

Can check full spec of this board at www.gigabyte.com.tw

The E6xxx processor is built using the older 65nm tech while the E8x00 is the new 45nm tech.

CPU speed is 2.66ghz but can easily push to 3.8Ghz with DDR2 PC8500 (1066mhz) Ram Module using settings clock multiplier 8 x 480Mhz front side bus with normal cpu cooler.

One bugger even did a 8x600Mhz = 4.8Ghz but I'm a bit skeptical.

See here for benchmark at actual speed using Photoshop CS3 : E8x00 vs E6600 and Another E6xxx vs E8x00

See E8200 @4.8Ghz here : Extreme overclocking at 4.8Ghz

Actual you'll do fine overclocking a E8400 to 4.2Ghz (9x470). Why overclock ? bcoz it translates to more work time savings.

If u need to play extreme gaming on the rig and if budget permits add a ATI HD3870 X2 1Gb. It's :thumbsup:.

I will be making one myself a couple of months from now.

If your main use is photo editing then might consider a E8200 + Gigabyte G33M-DS2R for $497 @Fuwell at SLS.

The board is micro atx board with a onboard X3100 graphics. This board can Oc'ed better than the P35 and X38 chipset which can go up to FSB 440-450Mhz at most.

Can check full spec of this board at www.gigabyte.com.tw

The E6xxx processor is built using the older 65nm tech while the E8x00 is the new 45nm tech.

CPU speed is 2.66ghz but can easily push to 3.8Ghz with DDR2 PC8500 (1066mhz) Ram Module using settings clock multiplier 8 x 480Mhz front side bus with normal cpu cooler.

One bugger even did a 8x600Mhz = 4.8Ghz but I'm a bit skeptical.

See here for benchmark at actual speed using Photoshop CS3 : E8x00 vs E6600 and Another E6xxx vs E8x00

See E8200 @4.8Ghz here : Extreme overclocking at 4.8Ghz

Actual you'll do fine overclocking a E8400 to 4.2Ghz (9x470). Why overclock ? bcoz it translates to more work time savings.

If u need to play extreme gaming on the rig and if budget permits add a ATI HD3870 X2 1Gb. It's :thumbsup:.

I will be making one myself a couple of months from now.

Never did overclocking before. But based on your post it shows the potential very well. How about heat issues with overclocking?

Hi,the Q6600 is an ageing Core 2 65nm chip.There's already 45nm chip in the market(E8XXX series) so i recommend you get that instead.FYI,the new Core 2 Quad 45nm is the QX6600

Also,onboard graphic card wont be very good for intensive editing,go for ATI 3870(or aftermarket equalavant) or the Nvidia 8800GT or 8600GT

Btw, what's the different between x38 and the coming x48 chipset? Can 64bit hardware run 32bit software well?

Also,onboard graphic card wont be very good for intensive editing,go for ATI 3870(or aftermarket equalavant) or the Nvidia 8800GT or 8600GT

Gotta disagree with you there. There is NO NEED to get a gaming videocard for photo editing. Photoshop does not need DX10.1

Btw, what's the different between x38 and the coming x48 chipset? Can 64bit hardware run 32bit software well?

As AMD has proven WAAAAAY before Intel imitated their x86-64 instructions... Yes, it runs perfectly well. Remember, these are not pure 64-bit chips. They are hybrid chips.

From reviews, the E8xxx processor or codename Wolfdale is quite power efficient due to size reduction to 45nm. Example, the E8400 at 4.2Ghz OC'ed have temp around 68c with only air cooling.

Basic differences of X38 and X48 chipset are:

1. X48 supports up to 1666Mhz Front Side Bus speed.
2. X48 supports newer memory type - XMP DDR3-1600
3. prices for X48 slightly more ex.

For those 1st time to overclocking do search around how to do it. But basically you'll need to increase FSB speed, processor multiplier (which is usually factory lock nowadays) and processor voltages. A fast ram with rating PC6400 or higher will make overclocking more successful. Do not go cheap on it. :nono:

Too much overclocking by raising the voltage via bios will damage your processor real soon, overclocking is free but pushing it until your CPU gets fried is an expensive lesson.

Please know what you are doing. I've been overclocking processors since late 80's and never fried a CPU yet, but my bro-inlaw did!;) on his AMD K6-2.

You don't actually need a ATI HD3870 or Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT for photo editing, it's quite an overkill. A DirectX 10 capable graphics card like Nvidia GeForce 8600 based card is enough as on-board graphics will share your Ram memory, leaving the operating system with less memory resources.

Anyway, for those skeptical about overclocking(if not too excessive) reducing the life span of your CPU, I'd say - you won't want to live forever do you?

2 years tops before today's newest CPU will be deemed obselete by future OS and apps.

EDIT: Get DX10 Graphics card for future proofing, IMHO.

Using this CPU. Got it on a Dell as i was too tired of going to Sim Lim and buy part by part. Fast performance. Good value at this point in time. I am also not overclocking it as I find 2.4gHz x 4 cores are good enough.
:)

the cpu should be ok... but for photoediting, I would recommend you get a 64bit operating system so you can use more RAM... and get 8GB of RAM -- photoshop might not be able to use all of it directly but the remainder can be use as a RAM disk for scratch use and for the OS and other programs running in the background... and get a good power supply so your setup can run smoothly especially if you are gonna use many HDDs... you can use an existing graphics card if you have one, but if not, a low end card with dedicated RAM should be good enough for photo work... then add in the motherboard and storage and casing (and monitor, keyboard and mouse if you don't already have them), then get the fastest CPU you can budget in... :)

yah a 64 bit OS. Is there a 64 bit vista in the market now?

Current Win XP or Vista only utilizes around 3.5GB of your system RAM if you get 4gb. so i didn't get the additonal 2GB.

Current Win XP or Vista only utilizes around 3.5GB of your system RAM if you get 4gb. so i didn't get the additonal 2GB.

Yes,there is 64 bit Vista available(except Hme Basic and Starter).

You dun need a Quad core CPU for photo processing and editing.
The CPU will be under utilized. A Dual Core CPU match perfectly against Quad Core CPU.

Just a 2 cents contribution, if your main intention is to edit photos get dual core as dual core is much cheaper than Quad Core. You can use the saved amount to purchase more lens or to increase the RAM size

have been using it for almost 3/4 of a year... :)

Yes,there is 64 bit Vista available(except Hme Basic and Starter).Do not get OEM Vista,as its only 32 bit
for OEM Vista, there is only a license for one version per package, either 32 or 64 bit, unlike the retail package, where you get the license for both 32 and 64 bit... that's why the OEM price is about half of the retail package... but there are 64bit OEM Vistas... :)

Get the Quad Core and you will not regret. Core 2 Duo is good but the respond is still slower than a Quad Core.

2 more areas you need to cover is the HDD and RAMs.

If you are crazy enough, get the 73GB X 2 on RAID 0 SAS Drive (15,000RPM) with 8GB (800Mhz ones) worth of RAMs with XP 64bit.

Sorry but still no faith in VISTA (any version).

If you want to buy Vista off the shelf(Retail,and better since 100% sure of 64bit),i suggest you wait untill mid or end March when Vista Service Pack 1(SP1) hit the shelf

vista still has performance issues it actually runs slower than xp. however xp only supports up to 3.5gb ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.