integrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelmetBox

Sep 9, 2003
Scenario:

Lets say you post an item for sale with a RP of $100. Someone calls you up and tells you he's wants it and can only collect the item the next day. You agree.

Halfway through the day someone else calls up and offers you an irresistable offer, lets say $150. Will you sell it this guy instead? Or honor your agreement with the first person you agreed to?

Lets say your item was up for bid instead and your bid closed with you agreeing with someone's bid of $100. But again that person can only collect it the next day. Halfway through the day someone else offers an irresistable bid. Will you sell it this guy instead? Or honor your agreement with the first person you agreed to?

From a seller's side, of course I will want the better deal but then how about the agreement you first made? Money or integrity?

From a buyer's point of view, I'll prob be swearing and condemning the seller for not honoring his word and agreement.

So what say you guys? :D

Stick to your first decision to sell to the buyer you agreed for $100.

One reason-You see, maybe there could be another guy selling the same item, which this buyer could have also obtain if you did not agree in the first place, but since you agreed, he wouldn't have tried to bid from the other person, so if you back out after agreeing, this guy might have also missed the chance of getting from the other person.

Reason two- put yourself in the buyers shoe if in doubt and tempted, like you say you will also be cursing and swearing and screamin unfair.

Reason three- your reputation is at stake, for $50 only even if it is for $5000, I am sure its worth many times more than that infact it should be priceless.

Of course you can pray very hard that he suddenly decide not to buy from you, then you can then sell to the $150 guy. :bsmilie:

pcwe68 said:
Stick to your first decision to sell to the buyer you agreed for $100.

One reason-You see, maybe there could be another guy selling the same item, which this buyer could have also obtain if you did not agree in the first place, but since you agreed, he wouldn't have tried to bid from the other person, so if you back out after agreeing, this guy might have also missed the chance of getting from the other person.

Reason two- put yourself in the buyers shoe if in doubt and tempted, like you say you will also be cursing and swearing and screamin unfair.

Reason three- your reputation is at stake, for $50 only even if it is for $5000, I am sure its worth many times more than that infact it should be priceless.

Of course you can pray very hard that he suddenly decide not to buy from you, then you can then sell to the $150 guy. :bsmilie:

Hehe, I like the last part :bsmilie:

Hmmm... the seller can always play b@st@*d and go meet the new buyer and sell it to him first, then cook up a story to tell the first buyer, saying like you broke the item or something. In that way the buyer earn the money and still somehow kept his reputation....... That is that no one knows what really happened. :D

And again, the first buyer will be cursing and swearing! :bsmilie:

Not suggesting anyone do this though.......

but business is business.

i always tell my customers that if somebody should come along with a higher bid, i'll call and notify them about it, and see if they can give a better price.

as long as there is no transaction or deposit whatsoever, and the item is still with me, the deal is still volatile.

of course, if the customer is a friend, then i'll no doubt have some biasness here. :dunno:

Simple but not so simple...

There's a saying "All businessmen are evil."
There's also "U can do watever U want, just don't get caught."
:D :D

So if U can come up with a perfect lie, u can get away with it.

Somethin like... "Sorry, but someone else PMed me earlier than u, but I read your MSG 1st, then realised he wanted the *** also... I'll be selling it to him for $100 also. Sorry for the inconvenience..." :D :D

Nope.. I never do this B4... :flame:

I would stick to the first agreement I had. I am always taught to honour my words and I live my life based on integrity. Though some may argue that an honest man can't make a good living but I would rather people come back to me than start bad mouthing me. Like what pcwe68 said, your reputation is priceless.

Andy Ho

AReality said:
Simple but not so simple...

There's a saying "All businessmen are evil."
There's also "U can do watever U want, just don't get caught."
:D :D

So if U can come up with a perfect lie, u can get away with it.

Somethin like... "Sorry, but someone else PMed me earlier than u, but I read your MSG 1st, then realised he wanted the *** also... I'll be selling it to him for $100 also. Sorry for the inconvenience..." :D :D

Nope.. I never do this B4... :flame:

FWAH! IDEA! I'm nvr buying things from u! :p

heheheheheeeeeee.... you prob had gd life in NS! Tacky!

hahahahah!!!

OT: Hows the flash? :D

Clown said:

i always tell my customers that if somebody should come along with a higher bid, i'll call and notify them about it, and see if they can give a better price.

as long as there is no transaction or deposit whatsoever, and the item is still with me, the deal is still volatile.

of course, if the customer is a friend, then i'll no doubt have some biasness here. :dunno:

Agreed & fair enough, provided like you say you MUST inform the first buyer (during the initial agreement) that since he cannot collect until a certain time, you reserve the right to sell to another higher bidder but you will inform him first to see if he is willing to match the price.

Clown said:

Hmmm..... This I understand. In your case, you had not made an agreement, you told the buyer that its still open for bid, so I guess its not wrong to 'jump ship'.

The logic of selling to the person who is willing to pay lesser does not sound correct to me, especially when non-contractual (here I mean an actual physical contract in black and white) agreements are involved. If you have plenty of money, it is mush easier to talk about maintaining a degree of integrity. But if you don't have the money to spare, and when every cent counts, I don't think that a person in the right mind would do the 'wrong' thing of forgoing that extra money.

Maybe we need a lawyer (anyone out there) to explain things like verbal agreement, and worst if the agreement is in the form of private message etc (black & white, although in electronic form) has Singapore set laws on email agreement thingy yet? :dunno: :D

AReality said:
The flash perfect...
not regretted getting it... ;)

So AReality, are you the one that gave HelmetBox this heartache :bheart: . sell too cheap to you. :nono: :bsmilie:

pcwe68 said:
So AReality, are you the one that gave HelmetBox this heartache :bheart: . sell too cheap to you. :nono: :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

No lah, though he made me panick one whole night by telling me he bought the last piece :( :bsmilie:

The reason I ask is that sometimes when I buy something and the buyer agreed on the deal and I am unable to collect the product immediately, I always fear that the buyer can change his mind and I lose a deal.

This is especially so when the item is of importance, lets say maybe a collectable item that one has been searching high and low for.

So I asked myself if I am the seller, what would I do.......

pcwe68 said:

:what: No lar...
I bought a new flash...
Then recommend him buy dat..
He buy liao...
now everyone has a new flash...
now everyone :)

Parchiao said:
The logic of selling to the person who is willing to pay lesser does not sound correct to me, especially when non-contractual (here I mean an actual physical contract in black and white) agreements are involved. If you have plenty of money, it is mush easier to talk about maintaining a degree of integrity. But if you don't have the money to spare, and when every cent counts, I don't think that a person in the right mind would do the 'wrong' thing of forgoing that extra money.
So, if by saying that, you are telling all of us in CS that when we decided to sell something to you at the agreed price but have not meet up with you, we can always sell it to the next higher bidder, considering you are desperate for it? Am I right to say that? Or can we call you to say that there is a higher bidder and we urge you to jack up the price a little? If that is possible, then are we not stupid enough not to always call the buyer and say there is a higher bidder and urge him/her to increase the buying price a little?

No offense but I want you to put yourself in the buyer's shoes before making any comments. I feel that Singaporeans as a whole are selfish and lacks integrity. Don't get me wrong but I am a Singaporean myself.

Andy Ho

Andy Ho said:
No offense but I want you to put yourself in the buyer's shoes before making any comments. I feel that Singaporeans as a whole are selfish and lacks integrity. Don't get me wrong but I am a Singaporean myself.

Sometimes, not all, buyers are also selfish and lack integrity...
I sold some stuffs on net before(non-photography related.)
Fixed the price...
Went down met him,
finally settled for $100 less!!!
from $1000 become $900
10% discount...
he tried so hard to bargain...
In the end, still decided to sell as I do not need the stuff anyway, & it was not a hot item...

So it's not always correct to blame the seller... Buyers too, sometimes are :nono:

AReality said:
Sometimes, not all, buyers are also selfish and lack integrity...
I sold some stuffs on net before(non-photography related.)
Fixed the price...
Went down met him,
finally settled for $100 less!!!
from $1000 become $900
10% discount...
he tried so hard to bargain...
In the end, still decided to sell as I do not need the stuff anyway, & it was not a hot item...

So it's not always correct to blame the seller... Buyers too, sometimes are :nono:

I change my mind, now I'm going to buy things from you :D

heheheheeeeeeeeee

Andy Ho said:
So, if by saying that, you are telling all of us in CS that when we decided to sell something to you at the agreed price but have not meet up with you, we can always sell it to the next higher bidder, considering you are desperate for it? Am I right to say that? Or can we call you to say that there is a higher bidder and we urge you to jack up the price a little? If that is possible, then are we not stupid enough not to always call the buyer and say there is a higher bidder and urge him/her to increase the buying price a little?

Andy Ho

well, what about the other way round, the buyer putting himself into the seller's shoes? if i'm selling something, it means that either i have need of money or the item is redundant and i need money. or else i wont even think of selling the item at all. i can leave it around anyway..
selling an item is an activity that revolves around money, however put.

and, what if the guy who bids higher is ALSO desperate for the item u offer, that being the reason he chose to bid higher? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.