Integrated resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

w3iw3n

May 11, 2008
I have taken this pix by the esplanade area in the morning slightly before first light.
Would like to get feedback on how do i improve the composition of the photo, colours and the length of my shutter speed.

Personally i feel that a shorter shutter speed coupled with a higher ISO might not cause the "star-light" effect and the whole pix might look better.

The pix is taken straight out from my 450D with some tweaking of saturation, contrast, white balance and horizon tilt.

3155420078_1b695e9168_b.jpg

whoa that looks so awesome. i love the mood it gives. the tone is lovely. i also like the gradient and the smoothening of the water surface slightly.

the starlike lights are sweet. did you use an nd filter for this?

i've seen this guy on flickr who does landscape photo with like 10-20minute exposure. the smoothness he gets from the water and the clouds are super sweet. check out rasone on flickr i think.

love this!

Can i check what ISO setting you used?

Personally i would prefer a tighter crop, taking away the empty foreground (the water) in front of the floating spheres.

i think this pic will do great with a panoramic style crop.. removing away the whole chunk of dull looking water in the foreground.. and part of the cloudy sky..

as of now the composition feels uneasy.. to my eye at least..

hi all..the below are the settings of my shot.

Shutter: 2.5sec
Av: F8.0
ISO: 200
Focal lenght: 17mm

(no ND filter used)

thanks everyone for the tip pertaining to the cropping of the darker foregrd. will go experiment it.

Well worth effort to get up sooo early to be there...right time, right place. Originally, I would think that placing of the horizon right in the middle would not be a good idea, however, after few hard looks, the cloud formation of the sky and the bottom darken area of the sea compliment well towards the sky, therefore, I'll give it a :thumbsup:

Well worth effort to get up sooo early to be there...right time, right place. Originally, I would think that placing of the horizon right in the middle would not be a good idea, however, after few hard looks, the cloud formation of the sky and the bottom darken area of the sea compliment well towards the sky, therefore, I'll give it a :thumbsup:
Ya. I tot by cropping off the darker sea might give it a less dramatic effect. Nevertheless will try the cropping off the sea to see whether it works or not.

Woke up too early till I forgot my tripod. Placed camera on a rubbish bin for the shoot

picture looks great. would prefer a tighter crop, though

once you insert your signature/ watermark at the bottom dark area then the cropping will become unecessary....try ?

i tot the clouds and the dark water creates a cool semi oval frame for the image. trippy.
let's see how the panaromic crop will look like. i guess better focus on the ir. are they still working on it?

btw why is the dark portion in the water so pixelated? i get that too when i shoot in dark areas, wonder if it's b'cos i use the vivid setting or was it b'cos i shoot in jpeg.

i often shoot with dustbins too. i do carry around a table top tripod too most times.

Personally i feel that a shorter shutter speed coupled with a higher ISO might not cause the "star-light" effect and the whole pix might look better.

Nah! I love the starlight effect. It actually made the pix more interesting.

The pix is taken straight out from my 450D with some tweaking of saturation, contrast, white balance and horizon tilt.

I think you've done a pretty good job. I can see that the reason you didn't crop it too tightly is because of the natural vignette that the clouds and its shadow make on the water. I'd experiment with cropping the bottom a bit and maybe turn the whole thing to mono but I like it the way as you've done it.

Good job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ya. I tot by cropping off the darker sea might give it a less dramatic effect. Nevertheless will try the cropping off the sea to see whether it works or not.

Woke up too early till I forgot my tripod. Placed camera on a rubbish bin for the shoot

Let me guess...correct me if I'm wrong.

That you'd already seen the picture or the composition earlier, but you'd find that the timing is not right, therefore you decided to shoot it in the early hours.
One of the element being a good photographer is innovative...and without a tripod doesn't prevent you from getting a good shot. Keep it up..the road to success is one step nearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.