Int to go into photography.. Pls help out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyori

Mar 14, 2007
Firstly i need to get a 2nd hand DSLR for a start.. however my budget is not very high... around 600?

So I am looking at D400? or D350.. or is there any recommendation?
Plan to take pictures of people..

Also how deos ppl make their photo so focus.. den the background abit blurish? do i need any other kind of lens?

Welcome to CS.

Go read up more on aperture and DOF to understand better on how the subject is focused and the BG is blurred.

As for camera choices, you'd have to try them out and see which you'd prefer more. Do more homework

I'd recommend you find a used D40 as the most basic body (however is still very good in the right hands). Then work your way up based on your interest/needs.

Worst case scenario is to jump straight in, buy all sorts of stuff, then discover that it's not really for you.

do i need any lens??

Of cos you need lens. Start with a kit lens.

Of cos you need lens. Start with a kit lens.

Yep. But if you're going 2nd hand body, you can pick up a 18-55g VR lens 2nd hand as well. i think it goes for about SG$150 here? Have to do your own R&D!

Firstly i need to get a 2nd hand DSLR for a start.. however my budget is not very high... around 600?

Also how deos ppl make their photo so focus.. den the background abit blurish? do i need any other kind of lens?

do i need any lens??

No spoonfeeding here!
Show some effort to learn on your own, and people will guide you along the way...
If you had read up about Depth of Field (DOF), as zac08 mentioned, you would know the circumstances under which to create a short depth of field.

pentax k100d can be done for that price, if you can find a second hand going for sale.

W/ the limited budget u have, 2nd hand is ur best bet !
Do note DSLR need a lot of extra accessories, eg dry cabinet

Any camera can take pictures of people. This is neither limited to brands nor to certain models. As a beginner chances are high that your skills are the limiting factor, not the camera.
And to avoid misunderstandings please make yourself familiar with the naming of cameras of certain brands. Canon has models 350D and 400D (and others, too). Nikon has D40 D60, D90 and others.

See 350D for less than $400 with kit lens and battery grip in B&S. Leaves $200 for accessories like dry cab, lenspen, and decent bag. If you have the passion, you will out-grow the built in flash pretty fast with people shots, so may have to buy but later... choice is yours in the end.

thanks alot ppl! can u recommend me some kit lens? i was tinking the default 18 - 55 might not be enuff right? also if i m looking at boken i need to get at least a f1.8?

for SGD$ 600.
used 350D with 18-55mm - about S$350 to S$450 in B&S
new 30L cabinet - SGD$ 100 (hard to find used)...you need this, if not cam+lens will be filled with fungus soon.
camera bag - SGD$30 (Canon free bag...alot of people selling!)

You can still get bokeh for your 18-55mm, of cos a faster lens will give you better bokeh.
Save up for a 85mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4 next time.
The bokeh from 50mm f/1.8 is not that great either.

No, you don't need f1.8 for bokeh. On my canon kit lens, at f3.5, there's noticeable bokeh. But if your lens has that f1.8 capabilities, then better. Go read up on bokeh and how to achieve that effect.

For camera choices, just go to the shops and have a feel. Note the ones you like and go back home to research on the camera. Make sure that once you got your body, you also need to consider the lens. I've been using kitlens for over four months now; still using it because the 18-55mm is good for me.

thanks alot ppl! can u recommend me some kit lens? i was tinking the default 18 - 55 might not be enuff right? also if i m looking at boken i need to get at least a f1.8?

You haven't even tried but you suspect the kit lens is not good enough? Go and use it, learn how to handle the equipment, learn about the basics of photography. Then maybe you get an idea where the limitations of the kit lens are. Whether you can accept this or you decide to get a different one will depend on your shooting style, your skills, your budget, BBB virus infection ...

D400? or D350..
Try getting the names right first?
Canon is 400D,450D etc. with the "D" after the numbers and Nikon is "D" before the numbers FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.