Instilling that 1st Spark

vee5

May 5, 2005
JB_Pontian_Kukup_060412_1.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
All areas, especially on post processing. B&W, sharpness, contrast..

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
Was trying to capture the child's delight and fascination with the camera, and secondly the camera owner's interaction with the kid.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It's a candid shot. At a kampong in Pontian Kechil, Johor. The kid is hyperactive, and simply refuses to let go of the camera. Had a hard time composing and focusing on his eyes.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I realise that the background could be cleaner and it's better if the kid is looking at my camera. Those shots of him looking at my camera is actually when he's trying to take a picture of me! LOL This is one of the best where his face is not hidden behind the camera, and so it the camera owner.

I'm still learning, so all critiques are welcomed. No holds barred.
;)
Thanks for your feedback!

Any critiques? anyone? pleaseeeee? ;)

Personally, I think this image is beautifully done. It speaks to me, especially when it's a "happy" image with both the child and the adult smiling.

Not easy to take photos of children (especially one that is as young as this), so kudos for capturing that moment and glitter in his eyes.

The tone and contrast are, in my opinion, very tastefully done. The overall tonal range captures all the highlights and shadows just right. As you mentioned this is a candid shot, most importantly is to capture the moment of expression over everything else.

Nice picture. It would have been better if the chap beside him was not in the picture. You will realize that you capture the expressions of the subjects so well that not only we see the happiness of the young boy but also a tingle of worry on the face of the young chap beside. I cannot help but get the impression that he is so afraid that the young boy might drop the camera so much so that his (chap's) hands are in a "embracing" position to catch if the camera was to slip off the boy's hands.

Beautiful image and moment captured! Think the tones are nicely done as well.

One word, beautiful!

beautiful! perfect expression! can show the colour version? i aint no bw fan. should photoshop a sweat drop on the adult though

Beautiful. Tone & contrast are great :)

Tks everyone for ur kind words. :) It's a lucky shot, I've still got lots to learn.

Nice picture. It would have been better if the chap beside him was not in the picture. You will realize that you capture the expressions of the subjects so well that not only we see the happiness of the young boy but also a tingle of worry on the face of the young chap beside. I cannot help but get the impression that he is so afraid that the young boy might drop the camera so much so that his (chap's) hands are in a "embracing" position to catch if the camera was to slip off the boy's hands.

LOL ya u r absolutely right! My friend was indeed worried about his camera.. ;p but he was amused by him too. The boy was like.. 3.. 4.. years old? and the camera was rather heavy. But I'm impressed that the boy had no problem holding the camera up to his eyes and shoot the rest of us. He didn't drop it at all too.

I think the child is really adorable! I think it's perfectly fine that the child is not looking at the camera though. The smile and him looking upwards hints of the fact that he enjoys what he saw on the LCD screen prior the photo being taken.

If there's one improvement that I would suggest though, I would prefer the photo to be cropped tighter to your friend and the child to really make the photo more personable. The tighter framing could also make your friend and the boy look even closer together. :)

beautiful! perfect expression! can show the colour version? i aint no bw fan. should photoshop a sweat drop on the adult though

LOL ya a sweat drop would b comical. Here's the colour version. I tot that the bright yellow bin on the right background is a little distracting, so I tried using b&w to remedy that. Not sure if it helps... any feedback? :)

JB_Pontian_Kukup_Colour_060412_1.jpg

I think the child is really adorable! I think it's perfectly fine that the child is not looking at the camera though. The smile and him looking upwards hints of the fact that he enjoys what he saw on the LCD screen prior the photo being taken.

If there's one improvement that I would suggest though, I would prefer the photo to be cropped tighter to your friend and the child to really make the photo more personable. The tighter framing could also make your friend and the boy look even closer together. :)

Wow.. your 1st post in Clubsnap was for my pix? I'm honoured! :cool:
Do you mean cropping closer like this?

JB_Pontian_Kukup_version_2_060412_1.jpg

YES~~ I wonder what the rest of the people here will feel but I feel that it immediately drags my attention to the child and your friend in this photo. The previous version had more space for me to wander around. :)

The image in black and white is looking so good than colorful. You have done great work of capturing and gave a perfect look.

Thanks Wilsonclark!

Hi vee5, liked the picture very much. You've captured a good moment of expression from the two subjects, and the sparkle in the eye of the kid lights up the picture. I prefer the B&W rendering.

It will be cool if we can see more of the image, to take in the environment more... and also if the kid is looking at the camera, it will be a much much stronger shot.

It will be cool if we can see more of the image, to take in the environment more... and also if the kid is looking at the camera, it will be a much much stronger shot.

love the sparkle in the eyes
i like the cropped B&W version better
though not always necessary need eye contact, thinking if a version with eye contact + the sparkle in the eyes may make it stronger

thanks for sharing!

Tks Everyone for your critiques. :)
Ya... agree with the eye contact.