Instant Photo Printing GONE TO THE DOGS !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo2

Mar 8, 2005
Saw this advert for services & decided to pitch for instant printing project ....

" The client's budget is $30-$50.. its for 2R size only & just 1hour maybe."

:nono::thumbsd::thumbsd:

ANY TAKERS !!

Hah... ups for idiotic clients. Were we supposed cover photography on top of printing?

nowadays it is common to cover photography and give instant photos to their participants or guests . . .

But i guess they need to be reasonable . . .

Excuse my statement here ...

Seem like we as photographers are worthless bunch of monkeys, whom don't deserve any respect.

Better to drive taxi or be a hawker... Even selling Tissue Paper @ 3 for $1 is better profit.

Carry gear and take taxi already $15-$20 gone. Then left $10 use for printing? lol

Carry gear and take taxi already $15-$20 gone. Then left $10 use for printing? lol

That's why better to sell Tissue @ 3 for $1 ... No need Taxi, just walk only .... FOC ...

Should we even wasting our time talking about this if you think the people asking don't even know how much the rate is?

One way of doing it is to email your quote to the people that ask and then they should get some ideas on the "market" rate. I tend to do that even though I know the person across the phone is not going to book my service as my charge is beyond their budget. It is client education and if they don't see the value, that's fine. But at least, you put some thought for them... which may not be obvious now, but might be in the future.

I hope what I write make sense.

In my views, prospective clients who don't understand why a professional "charge for their time", because, nobody actually told them about it. So photographers, why don't start today...?? I told my clients about why it is so important to pay me to do the shoot and they buy what they need rather than a "package".

Just my 2c worth.

Regards,

Hart

while you are shooting event, you can sell tissue paper to make extra income.
while you are doing on the spot printing, you can set up stall to sell kachang puteh to make extra income. ;p

Imagine how the photography market would be, if no one stood out every now & then to set things right or complaint ...

Pardon me for voicing my displeasure & opinions every once a while ... It's a yearly PMS thing of mine ...

My god daughter of 3 yrs old is starting to photograph me & wife nowadays & she's learning photoshop as well ...

HaaaHaaahaahaa !!!!

no need photography.. i post it in the forum cos the client asked for..

They are looking for just 1 compact printer, 4r divide into 4 pieces.. thats all. need it for 30mins only but 100 2R prints. or we need someone to loan the compact printer to us, we'll handle it.

i think there were some form of misunderstanding in the thread. thanks

they are looking for semi-professional/amateurs not professionals.

That should be fine if it's a very casual event where you can afford to not deliver.

FYI, you should check out the specs of the printers you're looking at.
If time is of the essence, get more than one printer – share the load as well as have backups.

At 25 4Rs in 30mins, you basically need to print one 4R every 1 min 12 secs – including time to take the photo, prepare/send the file, etc.

Looking at the SELPHY CP800, printing time is approximately 1 min per 4R, so that leaves you with 12 secs to do everything else.

Btw, 4R divided into quarters does not give you four 2Rs.

Last edited:

They are looking for just 1 compact printer, 4r divide into 4 pieces.. thats all. need it for 30mins only but 100 2R prints. or we need someone to loan the compact printer to us, we'll handle it.

they are looking for semi-professional/amateurs not professionals.

What are you talking about, contradicting yourself??

Might as well state this stupid job as a TFCD for any dumb*** to learn on-the-spot-printing for their portfoilo (a very common rationale too from these cheapos) :angel:

Seems like Niki90 is always looking for CHEAP or FREE equipments, studio, jobs offering...

I can't speak for others but personally, $50 is not worth taking a trip down to the location, wait till they're done and then go home. Even if the client is going to pickup and deliver to my place I am not going to leave the printer with an unknown party for a day. Hence I will need to be present and most possibly offer technical advice, because if you can't get the prints done there is no way I can go home right? Am very very doubtful 30mins is all it takes. Only possible on major factors like 100% consistent exposure & framing of photographs and no pp edits or template needed. Pretty much like plugging directly from camera to printer.

Anyway, the condition is deceptive, "30mins only but 100 2R prints". That tells me nothing. Is it judged by duration or no of prints? What if 30min pass by and only 40 prints, or 15mins and already 100prints reached in the print queue? If it's the 1st scenario then please pay me extra $50 for another 30min to reach closer to 100prints. If 2nd then please pay me extra $50 if you want another 100prints.

Better advice for your client is to buy their own printer then sell it off later.
Might be able to make a $10 profit off unsuspecting buyer even! :p

Renting a basic dye-based (fast) instant machine already cost $150-$200, excluding ribbon and papers. This joker here wants to have it for $50??? Many of "her" (i doubt the sex too) threads were either looking for super cheap photographers, borrow dslr for free or other cheapos/freebos lobang etc etc..:sticktong:ipuke:

Cheapos, freebos, lesbos, are farking up the industry, we must educate the people with the market prices.

Last edited:
Cheapos, freebos, lesbos, are farking up the industry, we must educate the people with the market prices.

heh:) u quote peanuts, earn peanuts, end of day cant feed family is ur problem too!

saying to those who underquote:)

As long as there are plenty of ppl whether in ClubSNAP (most of the time) or else where (even some pro) offer "unlimited" instant print on the cheap using selphy printer. There will be ppl including established companies and Stat board, govt agency taking their services. Events companies also are partly responsible for this low rates offering "unlimited" prints.

It is mostly a hit and run job, cos many such events like D&D and Party type, happen in the company once a year and hence even the clients in the end are not able to get the prints it is already over.

As pro, there is no point wasting time on such issues. I don't even bother to reply to any services wanted in CS cos the market segment here is different. (BTW In case anyone think I am contradicting myself, I got complimentary free advertising from the admin as such you can see my advert in CS - that's all)

I find it is difficult to make Instant print as your bread and butter, unless you are niched in certain market eg, "Livestudio" very established in the high end market. or do those graduation instant print type for Poly ITE etc. I do have a Noritsu Printer which was bought for a project (couple of years back) and already paid for itself in that project. As instant print is not my bread and butter, I aim for market that cannot afford mistake in getting the shot, in printing and very time sensitive eg, impt conferences, seminar (mostly govt) like ASEAN Health Minister Conf - group photo taking and instantly print in 6R and packaged - these events do not come often, but clients do not go for fly off the mill selphy printing type. Likewise I do not do weekend events, party type, even company D&D at year end, cos there will be tons of holidays students offering cheap "professional" event photography - so why compete with them? unless you want to be in that market.

My point is focus your energy on the positive and look for a market segment where competition is different, then go into it. No point wasting time and energy ranting...... My 2 cents...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.