Instant JPEG from RAW utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
I think some (or a good chunk anyway) of us shoot in RAW+JPEG mode for the ease of having a preview in windows before choosing the ones which are good. I found this utility on the DPreview forums which extracts the JPEGs from a RAW file so saving you memory to snap in just RAW mode and still get the benefit of having a quick JPEG preview.

http://www.rawworkflow.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw-utility/

Very nifty stuff if you ask me and the best part is, its free as bird.

Some additional links.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/2027#more-2027

Last edited:
The XnView (beta version) can preview RAW. As well as another freeware called Irfanview.

This is not a previewing of RAW files per se. It is actually extracting that embedded JPG thumbnail, and viewing it as JPG, which, either way, is a whole lot faster than previewing a RAW file.

Exactly! You're not required to load the big raw file. It just extracts the JPEG for quick previews and like calebk says is one heck of a lot faster.

I believe that's how both the XnView and Irfanview works. It extracts the embedded JPG thumbnail.

Don't knock it off unless you've tried it first :nono:

I can't remember what i installed but i can view thumbnails of Raw files using windows explorer without opening any files (Under Windows Explorer (Win XP version) ; View-Thumbnails) ; it sure saves a lot of time. I gave up on taking Raw+Jpeg because it just slows down the shooting; now i just take Raw

Wow i've been using Irfan View for years but i dunno that you can actually open RAW files with them. :bigeyes:

Do you need to download a pluggin or anything ? I'm using Irfanview version 3.97 btw

Wow i've been using Irfan View for years but i dunno that you can actually open RAW files with them. :bigeyes:

Do you need to download a pluggin or anything ? I'm using Irfanview version 3.97 btw

yes, u need to install the plugin.
time to upgrade man. current ver is 4.20:sweat:

I can't remember what i installed but i can view thumbnails of Raw files using windows explorer without opening any files (Under Windows Explorer (Win XP version) ; View-Thumbnails) ; it sure saves a lot of time. I gave up on taking Raw+Jpeg because it just slows down the shooting; now i just take Raw
I've heard of this for some of the brands unfortunately...silly Olympus decided to have that function only for Vista.....

Uhm..

We have that on a Mac. It's built in. And free.

FastStone Maxview does that as well (view embedded JPEG in RAW). And it's free.

Fastone's viewers are great. I highly recommend them!

Uhm..

We have that on a Mac. It's built in. And free.

You're talking about quick preview? It's not that fast...

Besides, this utility is free too. :what:

Cool, didn't know there are so many of such utilities around. Which is the fastest and takes up the least resources though?

Status
Not open for further replies.