• XENNEC Camera Bags GIVE AWAY - SHARE & TAG your Friend to WIN one XENNEC Stylish bags. Visit this thread thread for more information.

Instant JPEG from RAW utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
I think some (or a good chunk anyway) of us shoot in RAW+JPEG mode for the ease of having a preview in windows before choosing the ones which are good. I found this utility on the DPreview forums which extracts the JPEGs from a RAW file so saving you memory to snap in just RAW mode and still get the benefit of having a quick JPEG preview.

http://www.rawworkflow.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw-utility/

Very nifty stuff if you ask me and the best part is, its free as bird.

Some additional links.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/2027#more-2027

Last edited:

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
This is not a previewing of RAW files per se. It is actually extracting that embedded JPG thumbnail, and viewing it as JPG, which, either way, is a whole lot faster than previewing a RAW file.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
Exactly! You're not required to load the big raw file. It just extracts the JPEG for quick previews and like calebk says is one heck of a lot faster.

Jun 26, 2008
Geylang
focaljam.com
I believe that's how both the XnView and Irfanview works. It extracts the embedded JPG thumbnail.

Don't knock it off unless you've tried it first :nono:

surefire

Feb 25, 2008
I can't remember what i installed but i can view thumbnails of Raw files using windows explorer without opening any files (Under Windows Explorer (Win XP version) ; View-Thumbnails) ; it sure saves a lot of time. I gave up on taking Raw+Jpeg because it just slows down the shooting; now i just take Raw

Mar 18, 2008
Lakeshore
Wow i've been using Irfan View for years but i dunno that you can actually open RAW files with them. :bigeyes:

Do you need to download a pluggin or anything ? I'm using Irfanview version 3.97 btw

Dec 31, 2002
AMK
Visit site
Wow i've been using Irfan View for years but i dunno that you can actually open RAW files with them. :bigeyes:

Do you need to download a pluggin or anything ? I'm using Irfanview version 3.97 btw
yes, u need to install the plugin.
time to upgrade man. current ver is 4.20:sweat:

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
I can't remember what i installed but i can view thumbnails of Raw files using windows explorer without opening any files (Under Windows Explorer (Win XP version) ; View-Thumbnails) ; it sure saves a lot of time. I gave up on taking Raw+Jpeg because it just slows down the shooting; now i just take Raw
I've heard of this for some of the brands unfortunately...silly Olympus decided to have that function only for Vista.....

GavinTing

Oct 16, 2007
Uhm..

We have that on a Mac. It's built in. And free.

YSLee

Jan 17, 2002
Visit site
Fastone's viewers are great. I highly recommend them!

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
Cool, didn't know there are so many of such utilities around. Which is the fastest and takes up the least resources though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom