Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos

Enough OT.

TS, thanks for the heads up. I have also deleted my account after seeing the news.

For Instagram users here, if you are concerned about copyright of your pictures, this is what I understand from the posted article as well as other articles about this:

1. The new rules were changed only very recently, after facebook fully completed the acquisition of Instagram.

2. The overzealous lawyers pretty much changed the terms of use to include all rights to use and re-sell your images on instagram.

3. Even if you have privacy set on your images, they can still use or sell your images and make it public.

4. There is no "opt out" of this clause as long as you stay a user of instagram after Jan 16, 2013.

5. The only way to "opt out" is to delete you account before Jan 16, 2013.

Last edited:
As seen in the posted article.

*Update, December 18 at 2:50 p.m. PT: Instagram has backed down, as we report in this CNET article posted a few minutes ago. Instagram says it will "remove" the language that caused a user revolt over the last day.

anyway it only applies to images posted after the in force date, old stuff are safe, so i'll wait and see
instagram is not the only photo sharing site, i don't really use the filters anyway

anyway it only applies to images posted after the in force date, old stuff are safe, so i'll wait and see
instagram is not the only photo sharing site, i don't really use the filters anyway

I just started using it, so no problems for me... just deleted.

Curiously, I have never used Instagram. So no sweat for me. Hehe!

Either they want to make more money out of this or they really need the money.

If you got one of a kind photos on instagram, might want to back it up in your computer just in case.

but if ur images hve people in it, they cant use it for advertising or profit purpose since there is no model release. am i right? anyone can correct me?

but if ur images hve people in it, they cant use it for advertising or profit purpose since there is no model release. am i right? anyone can correct me?
That would depend on the legal framework in the country where the picture is to be used. Not all countries require a model release form, Singapore is one of them.

Instagram might be the most commonly known software for such quick photo editing, but they are by far not the only one. For Android, there is also Capture FX which offers more features than the onboard Android camera app. Sure, it might not be that advanced as Instagram, but it's just a software on the phone. No subscription, nobody has any rights on your pictures, share as you like and where ever you like.

As far as Instagram is concerned, they already got all the releases with the terms and conditions. The issue will be between the persons in the pictures vs the person who took the picture.