Insect World

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonsng

Jan 29, 2003
Central
www.aquaticquotient.com
took some pics at AH, all pictures, resized in PS.. take with 300D, Canon 180mm L 3.5 macro

AH03_s.jpg

ISO 100, Av 200, f13, FEC -1/3

AH05_s.jpg

ISO 100, Av 200, f18, FEC +1 1/3

AH09_s.jpg

ISO 100, Av 200, f18, FEC +1

AH12_s.jpg

ISO 200, Av 200, f32, FEC +2

AH15_s.jpg

ISO 100, Av 200, f16, FEC +1/2

AH20_s.jpg

ISO 100, Av 200, f16, FEC -2

all comments welcome

Wow.. Canon 180mm L 3.5 macro :bigeyes:

Normally I would prefer a brighter background. But your 1st, 2nd and 4th shots work well against a black background. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Falcon said:

Normally I would prefer a brighter background. But your 1st, 2nd and 4th shots work well against a black background. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the len is loan from a friend :p together with the macro twin flash

I too find, some subjects on black backgrd alittle too hard to accept.. doesn't always work for butterflies.. wat you guys think?

situation today at AH, was heavily overcasted sky, so any external light source at 1/200 will result in the black backgrd?

1st shot works well with black background, but flash is a little harsh still.

How you find the Canon 180mm f/3.5L?

mr_jason said:
1st shot works well with black background, but flash is a little harsh still.

How you find the Canon 180mm f/3.5L?

ya i agree :embrass:

the len handles very well, focusing is moderate (hunts slow initall) and very accurate, but sometimes, it misses the subject (under light conditions) but still not as fast as the 100mm. It's very heavy to tug around though. But great len :thumbsup:

Nice series, tot I preferred brighter bg, black bg look like shoot at night.

Falcon said:
This is funny, I tot u said, "wow.. Nice shots" but "wow.. canon 180.." :D

FujiS2 said:
Nice series, tot I preferred brighter bg, black bg look like shoot at night.

This is funny, I tot u said, "wow.. Nice shots" but "wow.. canon 180.." :D

could it be due to the position of the flash? its mounted in the front of the len

simonsng said:
situation today at AH, was heavily overcasted sky, so any external light source at 1/200 will result in the black backgrd?

dark or black background is caused by underexposed metering. If you want brighter background, you need to use the actual metering of that environment at that moment and may resulting very slow shutter speed like < 1/10 sec. That is why tripod , fill flash -1 , release cable and mirror lockup are always recommended. Please take note that this technique is only useful for object that keep very still and no wind condition. Sometimes there is no choice situation when the object is moving and using faster shutter speed, you need to push the ISO higher.

megaweb said:
dark or black background is caused by underexposed metering. If you want brighter background, you need to use the actual metering of that environment at that moment and may resulting very slow shutter speed like < 1/10 sec. That is why tripod , fill flash -1 , release cable and mirror lockup are always recommended. Please take note that this technique is only useful for object that keep very still and no wind condition. Sometimes there is no choice situation when the object is moving and using faster shutter speed, you need to push the ISO higher.

thanks megaweb... learn something new today :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.