Ink Fading Experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordpain

Feb 22, 2007
Hi Guys,

After getting some printers and toying with their inks, I've decided to experiment with the lightfastness of a certain ink and paper. In each experiment, I will use a different ink with different paper and put it in different types of situations to see how long the inks will last before it fades.

I will put the photos under 4 common conditions:

1. Perfect - 40% RH, Complete Darkness (This can be compared when stored in an album.)
2. Outdoors Unprotected - This results varies abit depending on weather. I just but it outside in my balcony, but protected from the rain. Receives direct sunlight.
3. Outdoors Framed Glass - Same as above, but framed in an Ikea bought frame.
4. In water - As mentioned. I soak it in a tub of water in my room. Receives indirect sunlight.

In each of the tests, the cartridges are washed thoroughly and the inkhead purged to remove previous ink. The picture will then be put through the experiment and be scanned by an old Hp Scanjet 3300c. I will then tabulate the results everyday and post online.

If anyone would like to have their inks tested, you can send me a pm. I am in the process of testing out original inks and original paper as well. But I have no time to clean the carts and purge the inkhead. Now I'm just printing whatever that's in my printer.

Last edited:
In my first test, I am using a generic china made dye ink which i forgot where I got it from on a Canon iP1200. The paper I have used is SingInk 4R Glossy Paper (180GSM).

Based on Wilhelm Research labs, the worst ink from china lasts 2 months. Well, we'll see how bad is it.

This is Day 1:

(Control Image is now clickable for bigger picture!)

Check back tml for the next day results.

Last edited:
Hi lordpain

The above picture is abit too small to be seen clearly. You may like to provide the option to make it a clickable picture where it will open up to slightly bigger picture.

Don't bother with SingInk 4R Glossy Paper. Even if you put indoor, the image will fade regardless whether you are using original or non-original ink. There will be certain color shift such as the image turn darker and darker or shift towards certain color. In less than a month, if you have a keen eye you should start noticing the image turn darker or color shift.

I will be glad if you help me to test out as well, if yes, kindly pm your address.

Hi,

you do not need to test Dye Inks.
The best Dye Based Inks fade in 3 month...
Only Pigment Based Inks will last... Some call it Archival Grade.

Good luck.

Hi Nikkel,

What about Claria Dye inks from Epson? Based on WIR, they can last as much as 98 years when printed on Epson Paper.

Well... you can give it a try.
It is known that Dyes will not last as long as Pigments...

Those results are based on lab tests, and do not reflect real life conditions.
Let me know your findings after 3 month :)

Hi guys,

I'll have to pause this experiment for a little while. Have been REALLY busy past few days and I don't even have time for myself. I promise I'll update this thread when I have the time. In the mean time, who would like to have your inks tested, please do send me a pm. I'll be more than happy to test them for you, but it has to be somewhere mid feb. That's when my hands are less tied with commitments.

Cheers!

lordpain, by the way take a close hard look on Singink 4R Glossy Paper, didn't you see that there are very faint pizza wheel mark on the photo paper. Those very cheap china made photo paper tend to fade fastest. When you are less occupied and continuing with the test, you should try out better quality paper. While it's known that photo printed with dye ink fade overtime, but it's the degree of fading for the type of ink and paper. It's not true that "best Dye Based Inks fade in 3 month". It's a combination of paper and ink and environment factor (unprotected/gas fading..... etc). With better ink and paper and properly handling of your print, your printout will survive the 3 months since most people do not expose their photo directly under the sun. I understand what you are trying to achieve, by putting directly under the sun openly without any protective measure, you are basically simulating the scenario of accelerating fading.

Last edited:
Pizza Wheel Marks? Whats that?

Pizza Wheel Marks? Whats that?

If after take a hard look at the photo printed on Singink glossy paper, and you still didn't know what is pizza wheel mark, that meant it's you don't have those marking on those paper. Then just ignore me mentioning about those pizza wheel mark. Probably if you print something with a black blackground on those singink glossy paper and look at the paper again, you will know what I meant by pizza wheel mark. Pizza wheel mark don't need explanation. One hard look at the photo paper after it had been printed, you notice it if there is any pizza wheel mark. If you didn't see it, mean you don't have it. Then you don't need to be bother by what is pizza wheel mark.

Last edited:
Is it the dotted indents on the paper caused by the paper roller?

Is it the dotted indents on the paper caused by the paper roller?

Yes. It's the dotted indents on paper after it passed through the wheels.

Last edited:
Actually that doesn't bother me as I use those paper as framed gifts. Any other paper you recommend though? Not looking for the cheapest, but bang for buck. Maybe for 4R, A4 and A3?

My choice of bang for the buck paper for photos is - GraphPlot (Fancy Paper) Instant Dry Glossy 180gsm A4.

I bought a pack of 50 to try. Been quite satisfied. Can't remember the price tho. Was probably about $35ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.