information of pentax shop in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickhuang

Jul 12, 2007
Hi,all,
I'm going to travel from Hongkong to Australia and will stop over Singapore for about 7 hours. Plan to buy a pentax k10d there. I do a search and find this place so any suggestion will be appreciated.
Question is:
Where can I buy one? I have seen some post here and get
MS - MSColor (Ang Mo Kio Town Centre)
AP - Alan Photo (level 1 of Sim Lim Square or Funan Br)
CP - Cathay Photo
OP - Orient Photo (next door in Peninsula Plaza)
How can I get to these places easily from airport? I only have 7 hours and I'm tourist.:bigeyes:
And I want to buy one lens too. "DA 16-45mm F4 ED(supposed to be a kit lens in my country)",but couldn't see it in price list from sticky post. Is this one "Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL" available now?
Thanks for any information.
regards,
Patrick

I hope your 7 hours are in the day?

I think your best bet would either be the City Hall area - you have Cathay Photo, Alan Photo and John 3:16 (do they carry Pentax?) there.

Unless you are ok with a grey set, i.e. no warranty, then go for OP - OP is located in Sim Lim Square, along with a branch of Alan Photo.

Do not worry, getting to the rough area is relatively easy.. The trouble is whether you are able to find the place once you are in the area. In any case, you can either take a taxi - I estimate costs will be in the region of SGD 20+, and you can always take the MRT back, system not unlike that of HK. If you are brave enough and think you have the street smarts perhaps you could try taking the train direct from Changi Airport even.

But what are you actually looking for, a grey set or one with warranty?

I was under the impression that HK pricing was almost equal or cheaper than that in Singapore, Singapore's kit lens is 18-55mm, heh.

But isn't camera stuff cheaper over in Hong Kong?

I hope your 7 hours are in the day?

I think your best bet would either be the City Hall area - you have Cathay Photo, Alan Photo and John 3:16 (do they carry Pentax?) there.

Unless you are ok with a grey set, i.e. no warranty, then go for OP - OP is located in Sim Lim Square, along with a branch of Alan Photo.

Do not worry, getting to the rough area is relatively easy.. The trouble is whether you are able to find the place once you are in the area. In any case, you can either take a taxi - I estimate costs will be in the region of SGD 20+, and you can always take the MRT back, system not unlike that of HK. If you are brave enough and think you have the street smarts perhaps you could try taking the train direct from Changi Airport even.

But what are you actually looking for, a grey set or one with warranty?

I was under the impression that HK pricing was almost equal or cheaper than that in Singapore, Singapore's kit lens is 18-55mm, heh.
Thanks for your info.
I'm looking for a warranty one otherwise i could just get one in Hongkong. I've checked some post and seems pentax has some flaw products serial # from 249,which have 3 cases that the RS button dropped off(in my own country). I don't want to risk so choose to buy it in singapore. And good news is airport provide a free bus to some attraction including chinatown. I guess this will be in the CBD right?
And can I get "DA 16-45mm F4 ED" lens here? or equivalents? Price arround 600 SGD.
Thanks again.

But isn't camera stuff cheaper over in Hong Kong?

Yeah, cheaper but higher chance to get a flaw one. There are some news about fake jewellery and watch sold to Chinese mainland tourists.(I'm from China) They are ruin their reputation now.
I believe Singapore will have stricter law for this right? :)

Thanks for your info.
I'm looking for a warranty one otherwise i could just get one in Hongkong. I've checked some post and seems pentax has some flaw products serial # from 249,which have 3 cases that the RS button dropped off(in my own country). I don't want to risk so choose to buy it in singapore. And good news is airport provide a free bus to some attraction including chinatown. I guess this will be in the CBD right?
And can I get "DA 16-45mm F4 ED" lens here? or equivalents? Price arround 600 SGD.
Thanks again.

Yeah, cheaper but higher chance to get a flaw one. There are some news about fake jewellery and watch sold to Chinese mainland tourists.(I'm from China) They are ruin their reputation now.
I believe Singapore will have stricter law for this right? :)
I guess so far so good, Patrick. Hope you have fun in Singapore.

If you want warranty, then go to Funan/Peninsula Plaza area, Chinatown is not a very good place to buy cameras, quite a distance from Funan/Peninsula Plaza area too. Have you been to Singapore before?

Not sure if you'd get the prices mentioned here though, but you're from HK, Chinese so probably won't be so bad unless you have special characteristics like thick accent, etc.

Am bored, here are the directions to Funan (AP and John 3:16) and Peninsula (CP).

784976388_9b63d4c183.jpg

Actually, there are relatively reputable shops in HK as well, personally I would save the hassle and buy from my country, but I guess you have already considered this alternative. =)

Lenses are global products. I don't believe QC for sets sold in HK or China are any better or worse than sold at any other country. If anything stock availability is probably better in HK than Singapore.

From his postings, it seems like he's worried about fake goods being sold as originals...
Which I must say, is pretty rampant and blatant in Hong Kong.

Thanks guys,
Really appreciate the information. I will make a decision soon.
BTW, singapore's stock availability and price is not the best. But warranty price will certainly get a warranty product. In some places, you may pay a price for a product with warranty but get a grey one at the end. e.g.in my own country, I can get one with less than 1000 SGD,which states has warranty. But I don't know how to verify it. I'm curious how come the price is that low?

I'm not too sure about the other shop. I was at CP just now, they have the K10D and DA 16-45 in stock. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.