Information For All Those Who Have Dented Or Scratched Their 5D3

neubdetat

Dec 6, 2008
Singapore
gallery.mac.com
I have found out the price to replace the parts at CSC.

Back panel - about 120
Compact Flash Box - 60

No service fee while it's still under warranty.

Takes 5-7 days based on availability of spare parts.

So for all those who have made a careless mistake. Now you can figure out Just how expensive your careless mistake really is (mine was 180) :cool:

wow... you mentioned back panel and compact flash, wonder what is the price of the front panel/ top prism cover portion then!

I have found out the price to replace the parts at CSC.

Back panel - about 120
Compact Flash Box - 60

No service fee while it's still under warranty.

Takes 5-7 days based on availability of spare parts.

So for all those who have made a careless mistake. Now you can figure out Just how expensive your careless mistake really is (mine was 180) :cool:

I would say that since its twice the size of the back panel. Times 2-2.5 lor. I would imagine its 300-350

Good information to know... thanks for sharing.

scratch and dent is nothing as long as functionality not affected.

how about the hotshoe connector? some times the flash can fire at full power if the contact wear off.

for 1D series, you need to change the entire top cover so it was quite costly

Well he story continues. Apparently my backplate is dented so the new parts don't fit flush. Might as well not change at all lor.

Before anyone decides to comment, I askeD them if it would match and was assured, otherwise I would not have gone ahead with it at all in the first place. But for 150 bucks, I thought why not. More than makeup for any long term resale value lost.

Originally the junior technician said it's a front plate problem. That is 200 bucks to change

Then argue until the senior technician came out. A very nice and apologetic Mr Tan. Anyway he said its the problem of the backplate which costs 100 bucks.

Also enquired about the bottom plate (different part). That is also about 150.

They've ordered the part for me. In the meantime I hold onto my camera as I've got events to cover and I'm promised a full refund and refit of my old parts if their new fix doesn't solve that problem.

If u are concerned about resale value, why not change it only when u want to sell later on...

If u are a rough user or shoot under extreme or rugged situations, scratches and dents are unavoidable... fixing it now is ok but what if u get it knocked again? (*touch wood)

Yah I had the exact same thought! Hahahaha.

No it's not all about the ovErall resale value. I had to change the eyecup. I asked for a price. They quoted so much and it was within my budget so I went ahead with it.

And I'm not a very rough user. Most people comment that my setups are usually very well taken care of... What I consider rough, other people consider to be very good condition. Different strokes....

neubdetat said:
Yah I had the exact same thought! Hahahaha.

No it's not all about the ovErall resale value. I had to change the eyecup. I asked for a price. They quoted so much and it was within my budget so I went ahead with it.

And I'm not a very rough user. Most people comment that my setups are usually very well taken care of... What I consider rough, other people consider to be very good condition. Different strokes....

Got it... enjoy the 5d3! Tks for sharing :)