Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascriler

Jun 18, 2005
What is inifinity focus?

focused at very far away subjects.

if u remember anything from secondary sch physics, tts when light rays enter parallel to eachother and becomes focused by the lens at 1f

in reality, theres some tolerance. i'd say anything >20m will be sharp at infinity focus

Infinity focus is to focus on subjects that can be from a certain distance to unlimited distance. Usually infinity focal distances are lens dependant and different lens give u infinity focus after a certain distance. In infinity focus, usually everything in the frame is sharp.

Snoweagle said:
In infinity focus, usually everything in the frame is sharp.
everything beyond a certain pt.

everything(or mostly) sharp is at hyper-focal

megascriler said:
What is inifinity focus?
Megascriller, sorry to ride on your thread... :)
I used A520 before, so I'm quite familiar with the 'infinity' focus... but now using FZ 20 a bit confuse leh??:confused: Anybody can enlighten me?

roti_prata said:
everything beyond a certain pt.

everything(or mostly) sharp is at hyper-focal

Everything in the frame will be sharp for infinity. If not, it's still not in infinity focus.

Snoweagle said:
Everything in the frame will be sharp for infinity. If not, it's still not in infinity focus.
Everything? Is it the same thing if the furthest object seen sharp means everything within that range also sharp? Thanks

daden said:
Everything? Is it the same thing if the furthest object seen sharp means everything within that range also sharp? Thanks

Yes...For example if you go esplanade there and take the city skyline, shift to manual mode and switch the mode on the lens to M too, then turn the focusing ring to infinity (all the way to the end). Everything will be sharp. UNLESS you have something very near u but u focus at infinity on the distant object, then obviously the object near u will be blurred.

Snoweagle said:
Yes...For example if you go esplanade there and take the city skyline, shift to manual mode and switch the mode on the lens to M too, then turn the focusing ring to infinity (all the way to the end). Everything will be sharp. UNLESS you have something very near u but u focus at infinity on the distant object, then obviously the object near u will be blurred.
Hahahaha, but the problem now is my FZ20 doesn't have any end the for the focus ring... I guess it works 'by wire'... or non-mechanical focusing ring... :D so the best thing I can do right now is try to find focus of furthest object? Thanks for the answers bro!

daden said:
Hahahaha, but the problem now is my FZ20 doesn't have any end the for the focus ring... I guess it works 'by wire'... or non-mechanical focusing ring... :D so the best thing I can do right now is try to find focus of furthest object? Thanks for the answers bro!

I'm not using the FZ-20 so i'm not really sure how it works. If not maybe there're some landscape mode which you may have and it will automatically set to infinity.

i tink u are talking about hyperfocal distance.... its the closest distance at which one should focus so that infinity is also in focus(ie everything sharp)

its calculated by H = (F x F) / (f x D)

where H = hyperfocal distance
F = focal length
f = aperture
d = diameter of circle of least confusion.

Witness said:
i tink u are talking about hyperfocal distance.... its the closest distance at which one should focus so that infinity is also in focus(ie everything sharp)

its calculated by H = (F x F) / (f x D)

where H = hyperfocal distance
F = focal length
f = aperture
d = diameter of circle of least confusion.

how to find d lei? is it filter size..?

Snoweagle said:
In infinity focus, usually everything in the frame is sharp.

Heh?

Infinity focus, or focus on infinity means only that the distant objects are in focus.

Your statement is completely off!

I know you mean well. But be careful less you give out wrong information.

student said:
Heh?

Infinity focus, or focus on infinity means only that the distant objects are in focus.

Your statement is completely off!

I know you mean well. But be careful less you give out wrong information.

I was referring to when u're taking landscapes. FYI i do not give out wrong info, pls check yrself b4 giving any statements in future.

Snoweagle said:
I was referring to when u're taking landscapes. FYI i do not give out wrong info, pls check yrself b4 giving any statements in future.

Again you are giving out wrong impressions, if not wrong information.

And especially with regards to landscapes.

The only situation in landscapes when focussing on infinity gives everything in focus is when ALL the objects in that landscape scene happen to be also far far away.

However many landscapes images have foreground and distant objects. Without having a very small aperture, in non view-cameras, or using lens tilt + small aperture on a view camera, you are not going to have everything in focus.

In any case, in that post #4 nowhere did you say you were referring to landscapes. Please check what you wrote before you make more silly statements again in future.

You may not think you are giving false information. But you are, unfortunatelly.

He who knows not he knows not..........................

student said:
Again you are giving out wrong impressions, if not wrong information.

And especially with regards to landscapes.

The only situation in landscapes when focussing on infinity gives everything in focus is when ALL the objects in that landscape scene happen to be also far far away.

However many landscapes images have foreground and distant objects. Without having a very small aperture, in non view-cameras, or using lens tilt + small aperture on a view camera, you are not going to have everything in focus.

In any case, in that post #4 nowhere did you say you were referring to landscapes. Please check what you wrote before you make more silly statements again in future.

You may not think you are giving false information. But you are, unfortunatelly.

He who knows not he knows not..........................

Read my post no. 9. Think u're just trying to be smart that's all. I've been a landscape shooter for years so dun tell me what's right or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.