Infinity focus

dookiedookdook

Aug 16, 2007
Hi guys, im pretty new to photography. Learnt of infinity focus on camera, but after much research online and on CS, i still catch no balls. I'm using a canon 50d and 18-55mm kits lens. Would appreciate if someone could do a layman term rundown of how i shd set a shot up for infinite focus.thanks in advance! :)

I'll try to be as layman as possible
first, what kind of image are you trying to acheive?
the lens is focused at infinity when the object you want to focus is far (normally used in landscape shots)
if you want to manually set your focus to infinity, swithc you camera to manual focus, and turn the focus ring to infinity, you can see it on the focus scale (I'm assuming you are using a dslr)

thanks a bunch :)

yup, landscape. i was experimenting with the 10-22 i have with the focus ring with readings. putting it at the infinite logo didnt seem to work for me. and running all the way right, as i read from a couple of websites, didnt seem to work for me too. also tried turning left a little.

also, how about for self portrait photos?

yup, landscape. i was experimenting with the 10-22 i have with the focus ring with readings. putting it at the infinite logo didnt seem to work for me. and running all the way right, as i read from a couple of websites, didnt seem to work for me too. also tried turning left a little.

don't work for you as in not sharp?
are the objects less than infinity focus range?
for self portraits, i doubt you will be standing that far?

I don't suppose you are referring to actual running with your camera, so I presume you're referring to turning the focus ring on your lens?
Anyway, with an ultra-wide angle lens such as the 10-22, the focus range is quite short.
For my Tokina 12-24, basically anything further than 4-5m from the camera is at infinity focus.

Not sure what the issue you're facing is. Hope you can clarify.

If you want maximum depth of field (ie. getting everything into focus), focusing at infinity is not it. You need to focus at the hyperfocal distance for that focal length and aperture value.

Read this article to understand how it works and how to apply it.

http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/07/getting-everything-into-focus.html

Even if you set your EFS 10-22 USM lens to infinity manually, then point to a subject nearer than infinity, it will automatically focus back to the subject. If you want to shoot only at infinity, switch your lens to MF, then, turn the focus ring to infinity, and it will stay at infinity. When you do this you cannot AF.

putting it at the infinite logo didnt seem to work for me. and running all the way right, as i read from a couple of websites, didnt seem to work for me too.

A better way that I use, is to focus at faraway objects in auto focus mode, and then set to manual focus mode. But make sure you don't adjust the zoom ring after that.

If you want maximum depth of field (ie. getting everything into focus), focusing at infinity is not it. You need to focus at the hyperfocal distance for that focal length and aperture value.

Read this article to understand how it works and how to apply it.

haha yep i think this is what im aiming for. does the same apply for close objects (say for a ? hahah the article seems pretty self-explanatory, but i think im still having some problem digesting it. will looking thru again a couple more times to see if i can understand better :)

and self potrait as in, if saying we have to set the shot on timer. would putting everything in focus before we jump infront of the camera be a good idea?

haha yep i think this is what im aiming for. does the same apply for close objects (say for a ? hahah the article seems pretty self-explanatory, but i think im still having some problem digesting it. will looking thru again a couple more times to see if i can understand better :)

and self potrait as in, if saying we have to set the shot on timer. would putting everything in focus before we jump infront of the camera be a good idea?

It should work even for you. Just don't situate yourself too close lor.

Remember the hyperfocal distance will be nearer as your aperture is smaller. So you need to think about that. Jump in, and stay still. ;)

Look at this pic I shot recently using hyperfocal distance.

The 2 closest rocks are around 0.5 meter away from the lens.
4823004375_147843dd2f.jpg

Last edited:
It should work even for you. Just don't situate yourself too close lor.

Remember the hyperfocal distance will be nearer as your aperture is smaller. So you need to think about that. Jump in, and stay still. ;)

Look at this pic I shot recently using hyperfocal distance.

The 2 closest rocks are around 0.5 meter away from the lens.
4823004375_147843dd2f.jpg

so as to focus infinity, the lens should turn all the way to 55mm or 18 mm for a 18-55 mm lens???

so as to focus infinity, the lens should turn all the way to 55mm or 18 mm for a 18-55 mm lens???

Read the article I posted again.

You choose your aperture, you choose your focal length (somewhere within 18-55mm).

Then you follow the steps inside the post to find your hyperfocal distance. Then aim at something around the distance (slightly further away), autofocus. Once you get the focus lock, switch to manual focus. And don't touch the focus ring anymore. Recompose. And shoot.

So which should i turn in order to focus infinity?
i notice there is a inner ring and outer ring on my lens which can turn... expert please advice... :(

My goodness.

OK. you need to learn the basics.

Please read your lens and camera manual first. Understand what is focal length and how to change it. (Zoom ring).

Then you learn how to do manual focusing. (Focusing ring)

Then you come back here and ask the question again.

No point explaining to you here if you do know which is the focus ring, and which is the zoom ring.

What you are asking now, is like asking how to drive from city hall to ang mo kio, when you do not know which is the brake and which is the accelerator.