Infinity Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
lastboltnut said:
Hi boroangel,

To explain the situation to you, I have captured some screen shots of the software created by Artosoft. To try the software, see post #8:

Based on a particular camera, assuming you set it to 36mm, f4 and focus to infinity to shot a scenery, from the calculation, you get sharp object from 51.6m to infinity.

Infinity.jpg

But you have a foreground object at 40m away and its blurred....Then to increase your DOF, you decided to shift to f8, you get sharp object from 28.7m to infinity. No doubt, you get the foreground object sharp.

ApertureShiftInfinity.jpg

But, if you focus to the calculated hyperfocal distant (64.8m) instate of the shifting the aperture, you get sharp object from 32.4m to infinity and in this case, enough to capture your foreground object also.

Hyperfocal.jpg

So, this conclude that by shifting your focus distance, you can increase your DOF, adj your aperture only when you cannot achieve the DOF you want by shifting the focus....in this way, you can be sure that you won't get bad pic due to small aperture, unnecessarily....:lovegrin:

Artosoft,

Borrow your software screen shoot, ok? If you mind, I will take it down.

Thanks.

:thumbsup: wow! very good and detailed explanation!

lastboltnut said:
Artosoft,
Borrow your software screen shoot, ok? If you mind, I will take it down.
Thanks.
I give you permission ;) . I don't mind as long as can help another.

You can create your own list of sensor size and CoC for pCAM, use "Edit User Defined". Use "user defined" instead of "Photo" for Camera in "Preferences". Sorry, no time to update for digital and dSLR camera, and too many different sensors' size also.

pCAM is used and tested by many professional cinematographers in USA (Hollywood) (at least 1 from Singapore :sweat: ), where an inaccuracy or wrong calculation will affect their reputation. No compromise! Everything must be accurate!

Regards,
Arto.

Zaknafein said:
wow Artosoft is famous programmer ah!! :bigeyes:
Haha...

I hope ;) . Already more than 3 years never touch programming language again. I think I am lost now :( .
If I can sell my programs like before, maybe I can buy D2Xs and all trinity lenses :think: . Nahh... No time for programming :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

Ha! Thanks Artosoft. I will sure use it when I am taking scenary pic. I have it loaded in my Palm and I have it with me all the time.:)

Artosoft said:
I give you permission ;) . I don't mind as long as can help another.

You can create your own list of sensor size and CoC for pCAM, use "Edit User Defined". Use "user defined" instead of "Photo" for Camera in "Preferences". Sorry, no time to update for digital and dSLR camera, and too many different sensors' size also.

pCAM is used and tested by many professional cinematographers in USA (Hollywood) (at least 1 from Singapore :sweat: ), where an inaccuracy or wrong calculation will affect their reputation. No compromise! Everything must be accurate!

Regards,
Arto.

ack, i got myself confused again. i thought i understood... :(

wat difference does it make when someone use infinity focus and another use hyperfocusing? this is just getting mroe confusing the more i think about it!!

Hi,

Just look at the 1st and 3rd diagrams I posted from pCAM.....the DOF is different. If you have no foreground object in your shoot, dun have to worry, just focus to infinity will do.:)

Zaknafein said:
ack, i got myself confused again. i thought i understood... :(

wat difference does it make when someone use infinity focus and another use hyperfocusing? this is just getting mroe confusing the more i think about it!!

thanks, i was thikning that inifinity focus canoot keep nearby objects focused... but wassnt sure.
so i would pressume that the focus at FARAWAY objects for both Focus at infinity and hyperfocusing would be same?

Put it this way, if you focus at Hyperfocal Distant, then you achieved the deepest DOF possible on that particular setting of lens focus length and aperture. If you use inifinity, you will not get as deep a DOF. That's what it is for.

Yes, obj at infinity will be the same. The diff is only how near you can focus your foreground obj....:)

Zaknafein said:
thanks, i was thikning that inifinity focus canoot keep nearby objects focused... but wassnt sure.
so i would pressume that the focus at FARAWAY objects for both Focus at infinity and hyperfocusing would be same?

I talk talk only.....see my signature. If you see my pic, then it is very obvious:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.