Indoor Shots Settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmymy

Sep 14, 2004
CCK
www.flickr.com
When i do indoor shots, if i dun turn on the flash, the "camera jitters" sign will appear and the images usually turn out blur and bit noisy. This will not happen if i turn on flash. Why does this happen?

However, turning on flash will make the image too bright losing the original "feel".

Any recommendation on how to counter this?

Thks!

Use higher ISO.
But if you wanna snap great/perfect pictures, need to upgrade.

You may try the slow sync flash mode.
It'll capture some background light (because of slower shutter speed) plus the object in front is clear (because of the flash).
Usually I use this mode for dinner photos and the effect is quite good.

ohmymy said:
When i do indoor shots, if i dun turn on the flash, the "camera jitters" sign will appear and the images usually turn out blur and bit noisy. This will not happen if i turn on flash. Why does this happen?

However, turning on flash will make the image too bright losing the original "feel".

Thks!
Set your flash head to bounce, set flash to auto, set flash aperture to f2.8 and test shoot. If flash is too strong, bring it down to f2 or lower; otherwise bring it up to f4. The aperture for FZ20 in AP mode is always f2.8 and therefore you will need to test your flash as well as constantly adjust it manually even though its set to auto. If you dont bounce, chances are you'll get burn shots.

Just shot about 120 shots using Nikon SB80DX and SB26 flashes and this is what I learned.

Jay said:
Set your flash head to bounce, set flash to auto, set flash aperture to f2.8 and test shoot. If flash is too strong, bring it down to f2 or lower; otherwise bring it up to f4. The aperture for FZ20 in AP mode is always f2.8 and therefore you will need to test your flash as well as constantly adjust it manually even though its set to auto. If you dont bounce, chances are you'll get burn shots.

Just shot about 120 shots using Nikon SB80DX and SB26 flashes and this is what I learned.

thks. but i am not using an external flash. issit better to get an external flash than using the built-in one?

ohmymy said:
thks. but i am not using an external flash. issit better to get an external flash than using the built-in one?

the flash distance is not strong enough for faraway shots. External flash is better in control (can change the angle and the output of the flash power) also look more pro. :cool:

:embrass: someone used to ask me whether my camera is a DSLR. (me using FZ10 + external flash + lens adaptor + sigma lotus hood.) ;)

ohmymy said:

Thks!

it used to happen to me also. but me using fz10, not sure if same as yours?

1. have sent back to panasonic, they say the jitters sign appear when the shutter speed fall below 1/60. just set it to more than 1/60. it's very normal.
2. have you turn on the 'stabilizer' setting on the camera? normally i use 'mode 2'

coldman said:
it used to happen to me also. but me using fz10, not sure if same as yours?

1. have sent back to panasonic, they say the jitters sign appear when the shutter speed fall below 1/60. just set it to more than 1/60. it's very normal.
2. have you turn on the 'stabilizer' setting on the camera? normally i use 'mode 2'

1. when u said more than 1/60, do u mean make the shutter speed faster or slower. actually at 1/60, picture will be very dark liao even if aperture at f2.8.
i usually use "P" mode. i know can use "Programme Shift" to change the settings but can only change aperture & the corresponding shutter speed is automatically re-adjusted with the aperture value.

2. yup, always turn on stabilizer. sometimes mode 1, sometimes mode 2.

ohmymy said:
1. when u said more than 1/60, do u mean make the shutter speed faster or slower. actually at 1/60, picture will be very dark liao even if aperture at f2.8.
try to make it like 1/80 or 1/100.
picture will be very dark = build in flash not strong enough = must buy extenal flesh.

i usually use "P" mode. i know can use "Programme Shift" to change the settings but can only change aperture & the corresponding shutter speed is automatically re-adjusted with the aperture value.
try using manual, then trial and error on the aperture and shutter speed.
2. yup, always turn on stabilizer. sometimes mode 1, sometimes mode 2.
me always on mode 2, unless taking sports then mode 1.
:embrass: please see my reply in blue.

i;ve been hearing lotsa review regarding fz20's noise ...and sounds really bad even at the lowest iso.... can any user pls enlighten me? isit really that bad? or isit only in low light situation then the noise is high.... if thats the case...does the external flash helps to reduce the noise for indoor?
thx

Need to be enlighten... considering to jump in the pana wagon...lol

kegler said:
i;ve been hearing lotsa review regarding fz20's noise ...and sounds really bad even at the lowest iso.... can any user pls enlighten me? isit really that bad? or isit only in low light situation then the noise is high.... if thats the case...does the external flash helps to reduce the noise for indoor?
thx

Need to be enlighten... considering to jump in the pana wagon...lol
Yes, the noise is bad in comparision with the DSLRs but still tolerable. It is in the dark areas that the noise is more obvious but you could use noise reduction software to reduce or eliminate this. The external flash does help but you should get one which allows you to step up/down the EV as they can TTL with the cam and also you need it when you bounce the flash.
Hope this help.

ohmymy said:

I experimented, and somehow the following simple setting works for me pretty well, at least for the stage shots that I took in Yunnan, they could have been worst (and yes, it was worst at the very beginning) if I were to switch to flash mode:

1. Switch your mode to Auto.
2. Flip to internal flash out.

In this way, the auto mode will detect insufficient light, and trigger the flash to compansate the insufficient light. This mode definitely work better than switching to flash mode, at least it worked for me during my few experiments.

Indoor performance with Flash Auto mode

Indoor performance with Flash - low lighting Auto mode

Indoor performance with Flash - Very low lighting Auto mode

Anyway, I have decided to get External flash(Suntax 328AZ), and already asked MS color to check for me. They told me that they will get back to me by Monday.

i have the same problem too in auto programe, please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.