indoor shots - camera settings

carocaro

Feb 17, 2009
Hi
I will be going on a trip to Vietnam/Cambodia and taking lots of indoor shots (no external flash). I never have much luck with indoors, maybe I get the White Balance wrong. I have a Nikon D90. Any recommendations for settings, especially White Balance, ISO (no fast moving subjects), anything else? I will not have much time to compose each shot so need to keep it simple.
Thanks all.

I carry a small WB card with me when I know the lighting conditions going to be tricky. Save me the trouble of correcting it in PS. Btw, the auto WB correction in PS is also good enough if u dun have a WB card.

Take Raw.

If subject is not moving, use Auto.

If subject is moving, set Tv and shutter speed to 1/lens distance eg, 1/200 if 200mm.

Thats what i do if i have like only minutes in unfamiliar territory.

if you are indoors, and you know the type of lighting, be it flash, warm colours or tungsten light, you can adjust the white balance accordingly on your camera. however, if you want to save time, either shoot raw then adjust your white balance on the computer if it is an issue. alternatively, photoshop and similar softwares can help u readjust your white balance later on so don't let it bother you too much.

If there are no fast objects, just bump up the iso. depends on the lighting condition and the focal range you are using, you might need to bump it to 800 or maybe 1600.
If you dont want to bump it up that high due to image quality concerns, suggest you bring along a prime lens, wide open lens or stick with lower focal range so you can control the handshake better.

worse case scenario, if your photos are blur, just set to manual mode or Tv mode (shutter) and put the shutter to inverse of your focal length. that cuts away handshake. :)

Hi
I will be going on a trip to Vietnam/Cambodia and taking lots of indoor shots (no external flash). I never have much luck with indoors, maybe I get the White Balance wrong. I have a Nikon D90. Any recommendations for settings, especially White Balance, ISO (no fast moving subjects), anything else? I will not have much time to compose each shot so need to keep it simple.
Thanks all.

what do you mean by not much luck? (1) pictures blur (2) color is off (3) exposure is not right? please elaborate so that we know which area to advise you on.

Hi
colour is off, mainly.
thanks for all the other suggestions.

1. Hold it steady.
2. Ask subject to hold still.
3. TV/shutter priority mode, Minimum 1/30 shutter speed dont go below it.
4. if need more light adjust aperture. if not enough raise iso.

This will ensure decent sharpness to images.

use the Auto-ISO... normally i set max ISO1600... shutter speed set depends on my lens... normally, 1/60s for 50mm, 1/160s for 150mm, or 1/20s for UWA...

hope this helps...

Simple. Use a 35 f1.4 for indoors. Set to raw, M mode, AWB, ISO 800, aperture between f2 to f4 and play with the shutter speed. Thin DOF use f2, need more depth use f4. You shud still maintain pretty good shutter speed.

Hi
Thanks all.

If i were in your shoes,

Shoot in RAW and adjust your white balance later on your PC

Use your fastest lens, open it to the widest f-stop you can without losing too much sharpness (this is lens dependent) provided DOF not an issue

As a last resort, if DOF is an issue set ISO to Auto and take pictures in Shutter Priority. Shutter no less than 1/60 or 1/focal length, whichever is faster

Absolute last resort, use flash if it is allowed

If taking non-moving stuff, just use a tripod

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!