Indoor Shoot: Ilford 3200 with fill-in flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitybix

Nov 1, 2002
West
Visit site
Hi all, would appreciate some kind soul's comment here. am using ilford 3200 indoor, but i would still need fill-in flash to highlight shadows (e.g. person's eyes, face etc.) what would be the setting required? Am setting ISO at 3200, as Ruby only develops this film at this speed..

Thanks!

Hi,

please let me know the graininess of this film after you developed. Cos I am considering using that for an event later this month too :)

It is very grainy. At 4R, you can see the grain. I think you will have to decide for yourself how you want it to turn out. I like the "news print" and grainy look. I develop this at Ruby Photo, and they only process it at ISO 3200, not less, so no point pushing to ISO 800 or ISO 1600.

I am thinking of using Tmax 3200, push to ISO 800 for the next shoot, and see how.

If you want to use the Ilford 3200 indoors, you will still need fill-in flash (or else you cannot see facial details).

Do develop true black and white paper at Ruby ($1.80 for 4R, hand developed), instead of Fuji (50 cents for 4R, as it is machine processed, and using Fuji Crystal Archive paper) even though the price difference is big.

Originally posted by fruitybix
Hi all, would appreciate some kind soul's comment here. am using ilford 3200 indoor, but i would still need fill-in flash to highlight shadows (e.g. person's eyes, face etc.) what would be the setting required? Am setting ISO at 3200, as Ruby only develops this film at this speed..

Thanks!
You might want to use bounced light rather than direct flash, as this normally will result in harsh lighting.

My 2 cents of inputs.

word to the wise, set your iso at 1600 if they will only process with 3200 timing....;)

Originally posted by fruitybix
It is very grainy. At 4R, you can see the grain. I think you will have to decide for yourself how you want it to turn out. I like the "news print" and grainy look. I develop this at Ruby Photo, and they only process it at ISO 3200, not less, so no point pushing to ISO 800 or ISO 1600.

I am thinking of using Tmax 3200, push to ISO 800 for the next shoot, and see how.

Actually Delta 3200 rated at 3200 can be almost grainless if properly processed in the right chemistry :)

Oh and your reduction of film speed is 'pulling' not pushing. Pushing is increasing the effective ISO rating, where pulling is reducing the effective ISO. (ie 3200 to 800).

Originally posted by Ian
Actually Delta 3200 rated at 3200 can be almost grainless if properly processed in the right chemistry :)

Oh and your reduction of film speed is 'pulling' not pushing. Pushing is increasing the effective ISO rating, where pulling is reducing the effective ISO. (ie 3200 to 800).

Hi, thanks for the info. What difference is there, between shooting at 3200 and processing at 3200, and shooting at 800/1600 and processing at 3200? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.