Indoor Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

seethoe

Dec 2, 2002
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Dear friends,

I am quite good at outdoor photography .....but when it comes to indoor...that's another story...especially those with yellow light as in hotel ballroom....

I am using Nikon F-65 and Nikkor 28-80mm f3.3-5.6 G lens...

Could someone give me an idea of the usual/norm setting (aperture/shutter/film) that i should use for ballroom type of shot and also small room ie. function room....

Most of my indoor people photography is very yellowish and under-expose although I exposure compensate +1. Normally I use a Fuji 100 Superia Film, which serves me very well in outdoor photography. Tried using a Kodak Gold 200 but still has similar problem.

Thanks in advance....

Hi Seetho,

it depends on what you want to achieve...
if u want to shoot ambient light only, then u can put an 80C filter (its blue in color) and it should corect the yellowish tint in the scene. However, the 80C will cut 1 stop of light so you will have to open your lens wide and use a shutter speed as slow as you can handhold. you may need to use ISO400-800 given the "smallish" aperture of your lens. One VERY IMPORTANT thing about metering in ballrooms is that matrix metering will be fooled by the white table clothe, white ceilings and white walls (no matter what Nikon tells you) so the image will be under exposed by 2-3 stops. Use partial or spot mertering instead.

for flash photography, you won't need the 80C (it will render some parts blue), again you can use the slowest shutter speed you can handhold, use partial/spot metering, ISO at least 200-400 so that your flash won't have to work so hard, and depending on your tests, maybe +1/3 or +1/2 flash exposure compensation.

try it! may work for you!

;)

if i want to capture moving events i.e presentation on stage without using flash....could i use a ISO 800 with 80C filter and get a good result or just use a ISO 800? I tried with a kodak gold 400 and did not really work, still a bit dark...

what if i increase exposure to +1.5EV??

Forget Kodak Max 400. Not even if someone give you a free lifetime supply of it.

Use Fuji Press 800. Forget about the 80C as well, sucks away light, not really necessary if you're shooting print film anyway. +1.5EV is like overexposing 1.5 stops. May nor may not help depending on situation. Depending on situation, sometimes you JUST need flash.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Forget Kodak Max 400. Not even if someone give you a free lifetime supply of it.

Use Fuji Press 800. Forget about the 80C as well, sucks away light, not really necessary if you're shooting print film anyway. +1.5EV is like overexposing 1.5 stops. May nor may not help depending on situation. Depending on situation, sometimes you JUST need flash.

Regards
CK

Er..... Fuji Superia 400 or 800 XTRA is a nice alternative. And Kodak MAX 400 is not really that bad if u overexpose by 1 stop... i would not use it indoors :D

I have the same camera as you (F65).

I took some shots of the car show with my camera, film is Fuji Press 800, lens is Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 (borrow from a friend), and use camera build in flash, all shots are handheld, and the pictures turn out well and no shaking. :)

So i think if you really want to take without flash, a good lens is a must (big big aperture), and choose film like FujiPress 800.

Use primes. They're cheaper and faster.

The cheapest would be a 50mm f1.8 (I'm sure Nikon has one of these). For wide, use a 28mm f2.8 or even a 24mm f2.8. Again, quite cheap.

You'll be amazed how much better your shots are.

If the yellow colour cast bothers you, use B&W! People will praise your artistic professionalism.

Originally posted by mervlam

Er..... Fuji Superia 400 or 800 XTRA is a nice alternative. And Kodak MAX 400 is not really that bad if u overexpose by 1 stop... i would not use it indoors :D

Eh, I know, but if you shoot MAX 400 at ISO 200, why not use the better Gold 200? :)

Regards
CK

I think i will try Fuji 800 Press.....without the 80C filter....at 0EV...think that should do it...what do u pro thinks....i am trying to take picture at a hotel ballroom for our church christmas presentation....

Flash...mmm...mentioned in another post that i got budget limitation...looking up the sigma 500 super flash.......hope its as good as a nikon...i want to invest in the Nikkor 70-200mm D lens...it was recommended to me ....so not enough budget for nikon flash....

thanks guys/gals....you have been a great help...

Status
Not open for further replies.