Indoor model shots without use of studio lights?

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
I recently went on an indoor model shoot (hotel) and was very happy with the results.
2 Studio lights were used for the shoot, and I never took any shots with my own flash to compare.

I'm planning on doing a model shot at a hotel this weekend, but I don't have any studio lighting, and I don't want to compromise on the quality of my shots.

1. Is there affordable studio lighting for 1 day hire?
2. Can I achieve similar quality/results from an SB600?
3. Is there anything else I can do to help? Gary Fong difuser (will have to buy), or bounce off an umbrella (also have to buy).

Thanks in advance for any help people can give me, i'm no expert in lighting yet.

using lighting just like using a camera, need to understand how it works and have knowledge about photography....

do you think you pass your camera to your friend, which he has no idea what is photography, you able to create shots just like you do becos of using your camera?

You will never know until you try. We have never seen the setup of your last shoot so it's hard to comment.

So go ahead and experiment. If you don't get the results that you wanted, do it again.

The previous setup was:

2 Bowen studio lights bounced off 2 umbrellas. Quite simple really.

I was just in "Commercial Services Offered", didn't see studio lights for hire.
Also, I would need to take shots in a more confined space like bathroom, not sure if it will be possible to use the studio lighting/umbrellas there.
Looks like I may have to experiment more with my SB600 :embrass:

It may not be so visible since the main bulk of business is camera and lens rentals, besides studio time. You'll have to look into each thread and each advertiser's website.

IIRC, camerarantal has some sets for rent.

It may not be so visible since the main bulk of business is camera and lens rentals, besides studio time. You'll have to look into each thread and each advertiser's website.

IIRC, camerarantal has some sets for rent.

I found someone who will rent it out to me, the only problem now is finding the hotel room that is reasonable price, and a nice sized room with nice decor :confused:
Naumi Hotel is nice, but standard room has large mirror behind the bed. Next room up is $412 a night after taxes!

Try Crowne Plaza Hotel :)

I think u can combine ya SB600 with lightstand+umbrella (I got the bundle @$50).

This is the effect, taken in my room with one flash.

4558568430_85c9e81eb9.jpg

Taken at corridor.
4454078146_8fa9210a0e.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome shots, nice lighting + model ;)
I think i'll be getting that, quite convenient and affordable!

Thanks, remember to set ya flash zoom to 28mm, to cover the Whole umbrella

I ended up buying the softbox instead lol. $80 for mini stand + Phottix softbox.
I also had to buy $75 Phottix Wireless flash Trigger set too.
I think i'll still need to buy something like Gary Fong diffuser, something more portable.

how much, where, wat size did u buy for the softbox?
mind to share which hotel u book? i may be planning fr one too =/

I think u can combine ya SB600 with lightstand+umbrella (I got the bundle @$50).

This is the effect, taken in my room with one flash.

Taken at corridor.

which type of umbrella? shoot thru or silver bounce?

I ended up buying the softbox instead lol. $80 for mini stand + Phottix softbox.
I also had to buy $75 Phottix Wireless flash Trigger set too.
I think i'll still need to buy something like Gary Fong diffuser, something more portable.

I got the universal gary fong light sphere, I got it for $91 @cathay photo :(. But damn good for indoor shoots. If u taking in hotel I think umbrella is better, can do bounce light to fill the room. the 60cm softbox is too small too fill the whole body I think. I'm still newbie ar.

This is what I get when using 60cm softbox
4592504578_f0bebf929c.jpg

Last edited: