the stage light is yellow , i'm ordered to shoot as white as possible

since i cannot bounce the celling off
i use my bounce card

s4rupv.jpg

the celling is shown there

2w65382.jpg

sometimes the light cannot reach all area of the stage with bounce card

2vv1h8i.jpg

sometimes the light is harsh when i tilt the head near horizontal (about 60 degree with bounce card)

17abfl.jpg

the main subject is ok. but the background look "unconfortable" with the bounce card

in conclusion, the shooting is still ok, but not very smooth
the pictures above is bad examples
some of them will go through photoshop to do some processing

still got some photos is ok ( but still can improve, i'm fussy)
2elulxh.jpg

my flash relector (1st one)
http://www.artworkfoto.com/flash_accessories.html

i think it cause come problems

wanna try the diffuse cap, think it is useful

pro hav any comment for me?

thx ^^

Last edited:
for this situation, i tilt 45%

if your flash is powerful enough and you are near enough, use a bounce card.

if your flash is small, and can only shoot from far far away, there is not much different of shooting direct and bounce card in term of effect, just shoot with direct flash.

getting the shots with correct exposure is primary goal, pleasing soft shadow is secondary for event photos.

I'll bounce to the side wall or a larger bounce card. Maybe other pro can enlighten me as well...

TS may want to consider bumping up your ISO to at least 400 or more since it is a indoor event and also slow down your shutter speed to between 1/30 & 1/60s to allow more ambient light to brighten up the background (BTW, I only checked the exif of your 1st picture).

You can try those bigger bounce-card/reflector things are are concave in shape.

ive tried that situation last tym, nowhere to bounce and bounce card not that helpful.

IMO diffuser is the best solution, you can direct the flash to center. then if the light is too bright, set your flash to manual mode and lower down a step and so on until you get the right lighting.:)

just sharing..

Just shoot straight.
Your flash is not able to light up the scene correctly.

Regards

If you do a lot of these events, might want to get wireless system so that your flash works off camera. One flash on left and another on right and it will be some sort of a studio shoot.

To make do with what you have in this circumstance, might want to learn to leave your flash at full power and use camera settings to offset the flash power like iso or exposure compensation.

check the settings and your photographs are shot at iso-200, 1/80?
i hardly get chance to shoot indoor photos at iso-400 even these days...

your flash is working really hard at F5.6 (limited by ur kit lens), and ISO-200 (your own choice, unnecessarily low in my opinion)

It is better to go full manual instead of shutter priority when shooting indoor photos, especially when you r working with flash light... in some occasion when the ambient light is brighter, you might be working at apertures that are too challenging for your flashlight.

Last edited:
u can try this actually

http://www.spectralightdiffuser.com/

saw someone using it at my son's kindergarten grad ceremony over the weekend. it's available at CP.

the cheaper china-version is also on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flash-Diffuser-...ZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item3a53009f01

bounce-cards dun work too well especially if the ceiling is too high anyway, and u lose too much power.

what i'm using is this item

Add flash compensation and increase ISO to at least 800

check the settings and your photographs are shot at iso-200, 1/80?
i hardly get chance to shoot indoor photos at iso-400 even these days...

your flash is working really hard at F5.6 (limited by ur kit lens), and ISO-200 (your own choice, unnecessarily low in my opinion)

It is better to go full manual instead of shutter priority when shooting indoor photos, especially when you r working with flash light... in some occasion when the ambient light is brighter, you might be working at apertures that are too challenging for your flashlight.

my experience , with my d60 and kit lens
i had shooting sth like this before

cannot use higher ISO , the noise will be very much , i need the best quality (d60 highest ISO is only 1600)
cannot use bigger aperture , cannot focus the subject well (there is such a big area , not portrait , and due to the DOF too)

and i prefer higher shutter speed , can get the correct motion about 90% of shots

under all this conditions , i hav to use flash ( coz mine is d60, ISO is really a big kill)
see this link
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584687

so i think
the solution is only two:
1. practise more with flash shooting
2. change a camera body which has the highest ISO 25600 sth like that , so even use ISO 800 also a acceptable picture quality

what do you think?
fren pls giv me comments :)
i hope to learn more from u all :)
thx:)

Last edited:
Well it's most important to first get your exposure right, especially for event photography. Your shots are about 1/3-2/3 stops under. Nitpicking about noise and IQ can come later.

Well it's most important to first get your exposure right, especially for event photography. Your shots are about 1/3-2/3 stops under. Nitpicking about noise and IQ can come later.

what is IQ ya? :embrass: paiseh

if the exposure not so correct can photoshop
but noise things cannot make it alr

some fren tell me this ==

what do you think

Status
Not open for further replies.