Indecisive: To freeze or not to freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
To_freeze_or_not_to_freeze.JPG

Took this picture at punggol beach yesterday. New to DSLR. Just bought a D40 a month ago.
Still playing around with my cam.

Comments please. :sweatsm:

looks like the common swallow.

The quinessential photographic moment, but the capture may have missed the moment.

First the angle was is too steep and we see very little bird. A more broadside view of more bird will be more satisfying. And then also the two birds can better filled the space within the window of view defined by the photograph. As it is the empty grey space is not contributing to the picture.

Second it was shot into the light, as evidenced by the shadow of the bird which is towards the viewer, and so we are seeing the shadowed side of the bird, again not revealing the bird. This can be helped in photoediting but there will be inherently limited data in the shadows and therefore only so much can be done.

But certainly you will object saying that it is the best you can do given the moment, and that even to get any shot of such fleeting creatures is commendable and great effort, and ought to be praised. Indeed it is, but that does not make it a good picture. That is a different matter altogether.

espion, thanks for the frank comments.

I am now more aware of the shadows and the direction of the light when composing a picture. Also realise that post processing editing and cropping can be an art in itself. Thanks.

technically speaking there are enough details to make out the subjects. the exposure can be worked on, and i would think pushing the curve in post processing to bring out the birds might produce desirable results.

what makes the picture for me is the interesting expressions of the subject captured within the moment. the contrast between movement and stillness, between a confident looking landing and a surprised turn of the head, these make some interesting conversation within the frame.

:embrass: Thanks eikin,

Yup, posted this picture for C&C due to the expressions and the constrast between movement and stillness captured. Want to have a sense if this will work. Jia Wang shares that a higher speed will freeze both birds, but this is not possible at that fleeting moment to change my camara settings.

I felt that the bird on the right is isolate due to the selective focus, and the one on the left explained the expression on its face. Got to admit that there's too much grey space in the photo.

I am new to post processing. Hope, I did not over do this one. :embrass:

To_freeze_or_not_to_freeze-1.JPG

Nice colors :)

The quinessential photographic moment, but the capture may have missed the moment.

First the angle was is too steep and we see very little bird. A more broadside view of more bird will be more satisfying. And then also the two birds can better filled the space within the window of view defined by the photograph. As it is the empty grey space is not contributing to the picture.

Second it was shot into the light, as evidenced by the shadow of the bird which is towards the viewer, and so we are seeing the shadowed side of the bird, again not revealing the bird. This can be helped in photoediting but there will be inherently limited data in the shadows and therefore only so much can be done.

But certainly you will object saying that it is the best you can do given the moment, and that even to get any shot of such fleeting creatures is commendable and great effort, and ought to be praised. Indeed it is, but that does not make it a good picture. That is a different matter altogether.

I beg to differ. I think it is a great photo.

The railing creates a left to right diagonal which creates interest (people who are western educated are unsubconsiously attracted to diagonals starting at the bottom left and rising to the top right - we write and read from left to right).

The blurred image of the bird on the left gives the sense of movement and it's entry into the frame leads our attention to the bird on the right.

The surprised look of the bird on the right with it's attention facing towards the approaching bird helps to keep the viewer's interest within the frame.

And there are no extranous elements in the background to take away interest from the picture.

If I were to nit pick, I'd PS away the scratches on the railing as they are a slight distraction.

Well done!:thumbsup:

:embrass: Thanks eikin,

Yup, posted this picture for C&C due to the expressions and the constrast between movement and stillness captured. Want to have a sense if this will work. Jia Wang shares that a higher speed will freeze both birds, but this is not possible at that fleeting moment to change my camara settings.

I felt that the bird on the right is isolate due to the selective focus, and the one on the left explained the expression on its face. Got to admit that there's too much grey space in the photo.

I am new to post processing. Hope, I did not over do this one. :embrass:

To_freeze_or_not_to_freeze-1.JPG

not bad an attempt, but personally i would prefer to push the curve to make the background brighter though

To_freeze_or_not_to_freeze_edit1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.