"Indecent Proposal" to camera makers

2)
PC: RAM chips are soldered onto RAM sticks which are then slotted onto the motherboard. So for your idea to take hold, somebody's got to come up with standards for RAM sticks in camera. And this ignores the issue of added bulk (think GPU onboard RAM vs PC RAM - the most variation they give is 256MB vs 512MB rather than your 512MB/1GB/2GB/3GB etc. etc.). You don't buy a Kingston 1GB and stick it onto your GPU do you? ;p

3) But who's going to pay the poor programmer in-charge of developing the firmware? And the technicians for loading the correct firmware you chose in your customization? And that's provided the sensor is capable of the feature in the first place (meaning that those opting for the lesser option would be short-changed into paying for more that they can't use).

4) And how many such people are there, and how much are they willing to pay for this feature to justify the increase in costs for an additional manufacturing/assembly line?

5) So if my remote control uses AAA batteries, can I slot in AA batteries to give it more power? Different sizes, different design. It's not just a matter of slotting in. And while you and I may feel that the power difference is minute, an IC design may tell you differently. Again, it all boils down to cost.

Erm... I might get mobbed by Apple fans for this, but the iPhone popularity has largely to do with the fact that it's APPLE, period. Non-Apple fans have quite a fair bit of grouses about the iPhone after getting it. The iPhone is not revolutionary or anything, but it is seen as "hip" and "cool" (and I'll admit that it's more stable than WinMo phones - coz they freaking control everything you can or cannot put in starting from the developer's code).

HAHAHA!! I do get ur points here but let me give it another perspective

RAM : Of cos u can't put in a PC ram into a gpu card. But in the past there was such option. My historic Matrox card did. The ram card is not that big, its the slot thats huge but that can be miniaturise a lotin cam to suit the makers' design

Video firmware : Well i didn't say the customisation is free. But for say, $50, the technician can enable it it less than 3mins. Its still a viable option

Adaptor : That is true. May not be a good option. So makers get to decide to drop this option

Flash : Yes. AA wudn't fit in AAA slot but if u take a closer look at the pic, its more a case of AAA fitting into AA slot. In this case of batteries, there r adaptors to fit smaller size batt to bigger slots. Like AA to D size :lovegrin:

The apple fans is one thing, but i really must concede apple did change the way people use their smart phones ;)

RAM : Of cos u can't put in a PC ram into a gpu card. But in the past there was such option. My historic Matrox card did. The ram card is not that big, its the slot thats huge but that can be miniaturise a lotin cam to suit the makers' design
So in the past, someone tried. And now they stopped. What does that tell you? And yes, the size is a concern, as I've pointed out earlier (or maybe I forgot to). :sweat:

Video firmware: Well i didn't say the customisation is free. But for say, $50, the technician can enable it it less than 3mins. Its still a viable option
You know, I can think of another PC analogy to this - over-clocking. The chip (sensor) is inherently capable of better performance by a simple tweak, yet the manufacturers don't do it. This has to do with stability issues and hence it's mostly do-at-your-own-risk. If it doesn't pose a stability issue and they market the same chip at a different price, higher price for the additional performance, people will a) pay the higher price and go for the higher performance if price diff is small; b) get the lower price one and look for free "solutions" to unlock the hidden performance if the price diff is huge.

Flash : Yes. AA wudn't fit in AAA slot but if u take a closer look at the pic, its more a case of AAA fitting into AA slot. In this case of batteries, there r adaptors to fit smaller size batt to bigger slots. Like AA to D size :lovegrin:
Is it? I think the black cap is pretty much the full length of the PCB already, where is the space to "slot" in a longer one? And for AA to D size in terms of capacitors, you got to see if there are D size capacitors available in the first place right? Else it's development costs again.

The apple fans is one thing, but i really must concede apple did change the way people use their smart phones ;)
Hmm did it? I know they made it friendlier for people to use smart phones (hence people previously not using smart phones all started using iPhone smartphones), but change? Social-networking, blogging etc. were there on Symbian and WinMo, just that it was a pain to use and developers weren't motivated to do anything to improve it due to relatively small user base. (And yes, WinMo is still a pain to use. Microsoft needs to get their act together. ;()

Last edited:
I give up.

Go ahead and have your fun. ;p

sounds like u're doing a school research project of some sort...

HAHAHAHA!!! I wish it is.

The forum, is a great place to meet people from diff walks of life. So i actually do value the different perspectives brought on by diff members. :lovegrin: