Increasing the height of your tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoned

May 7, 2004
Changi
www.photo.net
Does anyone have any DIY suggestions for increasing the height of your tripod? I'm thinking of extending it to 3m in height. Temporary fix suggestions also welcome. To my knowledge there's nothing on the market that provides such height. I just need it to peek over a fence. And no, i'm not doing any voyeuristic activity. :bsmilie: TIA.

You still need a ladder to use a tripod, why don't use a super clamp attach to ladder and tripod head mount onto the super clamp? If you not sure what am I talking, just look into Manfortto catalog, you will find many solutions.

wah catchlights now manfrotto spokesperson liao :bsmilie: but I would agree with catchlights' suggestion but I would clamp a monopod instead of the head only :D monopod can reach higher while you sit on the ladder.

Why not just put it on a makeshift platform?

student said:
Why not just put it on a makeshift platform?

This is what I was thinking of initially, but seeing as I don't have my own transport I need something I can carry around. What would you suggest given these limitations. I was thinking of a crate or something but that might not work too well given the size.

Maybe you can loan a taller tripod, one of the larger Gitzos maybe. The 1548 raises to a height of >2.6m and taller with a center column if installed.

Stoned said:
This is what I was thinking of initially, but seeing as I don't have my own transport I need something I can carry around. What would you suggest given these limitations. I was thinking of a crate or something but that might not work too well given the size.

If you are not able to have a way to carry stuff, I am not sure if you can get the height you want.

You want a height of 3 meters. I am quite sure you are not 3 meters tall. Even if you have a special tripod (which exists!) you will still need something to "raise" yourself up, meaning a ladder or some platform.

But I doubt you can get such a tripod. I have the largest tripod Cathay have. But it does not go up to 3 meters. So I think the practical solution is to find a way to raise the tripod and your self up at the same time.

Stoned said:
if your setup not too heavy, have a look at this.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=179187&highlight=eugenep

Still you need to elevate yourself to the desired height.

../azul123

student said:
If you are not able to have a way to carry stuff, I am not sure if you can get the height you want.

You want a height of 3 meters. I am quite sure you are not 3 meters tall. Even if you have a special tripod (which exists!) you will still need something to "raise" yourself up, meaning a ladder or some platform.

But I doubt you can get such a tripod. I have the largest tripod Cathay have. But it does not go up to 3 meters. So I think the practical solution is to find a way to raise the tripod and your self up at the same time.

I think the clamp recommended earlier by some CSers might be a good option. The ladder on it's own isn't too bad, but the ladder plus the crate is a real headache. The easiest solution is of course to climb over the fence I'm trying to shoot over, unfortunately that might pose some problems if I get caught :bsmilie:

This stunt of yours is beginning to sound a little more dubious with each post. Hope it's nothing illegal.

Terence said:
This stunt of yours is beginning to sound a little more dubious with each post. Hope it's nothing illegal.

Well essentially im trying to shoot over the fence of this canoe storage shed because of the way the light falls on the canoes at night. The place is fenced up obviously to keep people from stealing the canoes. The fence is a chicken wire fence and my wide angle lens can't quite get through the holes. I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot this canoe storage area at the exact angle that I want to shoot it at. It isn't illegal until you climb in.

Stoned said:
Well essentially im trying to shoot over the fence of this canoe storage shed because of the way the light falls on the canoes at night. The place is fenced up obviously to keep people from stealing the canoes. The fence is a chicken wire fence and my wide angle lens can't quite get through the holes. I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot this canoe storage area at the exact angle that I want to shoot it at. It isn't illegal until you climb in.

Before you hurt your self with such stunts, have you thought about the possibility to put your lens so close to the fence that the wires might be so out of focus that it might not even be recognisable?

Then if necessary, clone them out?

No matter how innocent your intentions are, a guy with a big tripod and ladder sticking himself and his setup up against a tall fence at night is going to look mighty suspicious to everyone else.

If you're talking about the canoe shed in the East Coast PA, the narrow fence is going to show even if you stick your lens up close.

If you still want to go ahead... my solution is to get yourself the longest monopod you can find. Pre-focus on the scene with all the settings done manually. Put the camera on the timer or remote cord, stick the monopod over the top of the fence and fire away. Make sure you angle the ball head to desired angle before lifting it up. A tall monopod comes up to about 1.3-1.5m, and I'm guessing you're about 1.6-1.8m tall youself... do the math.

Good luck, don't want to read about your stunt in the newspaper.

Stoned said:
Why not try using a digital compact where the lens is smaller and can fit in the holes on the fences?

lsisaxon said:
Why not try using a digital compact where the lens is smaller and can fit in the holes on the fences?

I did think of suggesting that but if it's the same fence I'm thinking of, it's too small even for a compact.

A pictorial example. My monopod w the ballhead was about 1.75m... so 3m is very achievable. It's kinda unstable though, suggest you use both hands when you lift the setup in the air. Better use a decent speed because there's going to be quite a bit of camera shake!

p10100017si.jpg

A shot of my good friend Brad Pitt taken from outside of my apartment window by me using mentioned setup.

p2z07057oc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.