inconspicuous camera bag - recommendations please

big_lan

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Hello guys,

I would like a camera bag that doesn't look like a typical camera bag.
reason being i travel, and the last thing i would like is for some one to swipe my camera coz of how it looks.

any recommendations?

Get those camera /lens inserts and put them in your backpacks or messenger bags.

When travelling, I put my DSLR into the Think Tank digital holster and into my daypack.

HTH.

Hello guys,

reason being i travel, and the last thing i would like is for some one to swipe my camera coz of how it looks.

any recommendations?

If it's a camera bag, it'll look like a camera bag.
If you don't want it to look like a camera bag, then any other bag but with a camera insert inside as recommended by others. :)

adamadam said:
If it's a camera bag, it'll look like a camera bag.
If you don't want it to look like a camera bag, then any other bag but with a camera insert inside as recommended by others. :)

Uh not really.

You might be forgetting that not everyone is into photography so they aren't familiar with the varieties.

There's Billingham, Kelly Moore Boy Bag, some NatGeo and Domke bags, those Lomo Society bags, etc. Even that LowePro Passport Sling looks more like a cyclist's bag. :)

Last edited:
Get a domke bag that doesn't shout it is a camera bag. Widely acknowledged by those in the know to be the discrete professional photographer's bag when he doesnt want to be seen to be carrying tons of expensive camera gears.

big_lan said:
Hello guys,

any recommendations?

There are many out there, eg think tank, crumpler...go to Cathay or tk photo to take a look, they have a wide range on display...and decide for yourself :)

Then just buy padding and put them into your regular bag.. Hmm anyway.. Camera are getting so common nowadays such that almost every turn you make you'll probably see 1. So why are you so afraid. Anyway if they really want to steal your camera..they can do it when you take it out to shoot too.

On a side note: Where are you heading? (Just curious, you dont have to reply this. lol)

Uh not really.

You might be forgetting that not everyone is into photography so they aren't familiar with the varieties.

There's Billingham, Kelly Moore Boy Bag, some NatGeo and Domke bags, those Lomo Society bags, etc. Even that LowePro Passport Sling looks more like a cyclist's bag. :)

Uh really.
I've got Billingham (Hadley Large), Domke (F3X, F6), Artisan and Artist (BCAM6100, ACAM7100), Thinktank Retrospective etc etc etc, at first they don't look very camera baggish, after a while, they look very camera bag!!!

INSERTS..end of discussion..lol

If people target you overseas most likely they will trail you for awhile, doesn't matter what bag you carry.

even if you talk about those snatch thieves, they dont care how the bag looks they just look for easy target.

if it happens it happens, don't fight just hand the guy your camera. Can always buy back, but there is no 1up in real life.

Oh and i use a black f3x. :thumbsup:

Uh really.
I've got Billingham (Hadley Large), Domke (F3X, F6), Artisan and Artist (BCAM6100, ACAM7100), Thinktank Retrospective etc etc etc, at first they don't look very camera baggish, after a while, they look very camera bag!!!
LOL, btw i like your signature - " it's the camera, not the photographer"... how about "it's the bag, not the camera"?

just make sure you don't get those bags with the camera brand's logo stitched onto them. ;)

another tip, although this is more of a personal preference, I always cover the brand of my camera and lenses with gaffer tape when overseas. although not a guarantee of theft-prevention, the "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" principle applies also. or at least lowers your exposure to would-be thieves.

but people who know this brand know its a camera bag.. ill usually use inserts and a normal bag..

Get a domke bag that doesn't shout it is a camera bag. Widely acknowledged by those in the know to be the discrete professional photographer's bag when he doesnt want to be seen to be carrying tons of expensive camera gears.

How about a Think Tank retrospective 10? I use it when I was Down Under and people can't tell it's holding a camera inside. Actually come to think of it, non hobbyist here can't tell the difference either!

Many options and varieties that would suit your needs. If you have a favourite bag then go for inserts.

Sigh. Seeing this posts and the replies make me wanna go buy another bag ;p

TS did not say where he/she is visiting. An inconspicuous camera bag is one way to avoid attention. But sooner or later still must whip out the camera to take photos.