Inconsistent results from raw+jpeg outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

duntellu

Dec 15, 2003
where the meat meats my teeth
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm using a d70s and noticed a rather perculiar pattern when reviewing pictures of the orchids taken from suntec city. When shot in the raw+jpeg mode, the jpeg looks darker when compared to the raw file viewed from photoshop's "as shot" white balance.

Also, the picture was taken in auto mode and the flash fired. What could possibly have happened?

TIA

jpeg already been processed...raw totally untouch...

Jpeg is processed as stated in your D70's settings ... white balence saturation hardness and so on... Raw is direct from your camera ccd , probably with some compression algorithm only

Hi all,
I'm using a d70s and noticed a rather perculiar pattern when reviewing pictures of the orchids taken from suntec city. When shot in the raw+jpeg mode, the jpeg looks darker when compared to the raw file viewed from photoshop's "as shot" white balance.

Also, the picture was taken in auto mode and the flash fired. What could possibly have happened?

TIA

this is because PS changes the exposure, shadows, highlights and contrast automatcially when you are using its RAW converter. look at the sliders below, it is all checked "Auto" by default. so if your intial settings are too dark, the "Auto" brightens it up. you have to uncheck all the "Auto"s to give the real "As shot" photo, aka, the jpeg file.:)

note, it has nothing to do with the white balance. at "As shot" mode, the white balance shown would be the same as the jpeg.

so rather than the explanation that jpeg is processed and raw is untouched, it is actually the other way round due to PS automatic corrrections on the raw image.

this is because PS changes the exposure, shadows, highlights and contrast automatcially when you are using its RAW converter. look at the sliders below, it is all checked "Auto" by default. so if your intial settings are too dark, the "Auto" brightens it up. you have to uncheck all the "Auto"s to give the real "As shot" photo, aka, the jpeg file.:)

note, it has nothing to do with the white balance. at "As shot" mode, the white balance shown would be the same as the jpeg.

so rather than the explanation that jpeg is processed and raw is untouched, it is actually the other way round due to PS automatic corrrections on the raw image.
2nd this, if you are seeing different thing in PS.
by default PS will do a auto contrast, exposure... etc. some of my image went -1.75EV until auto and look way underexposed. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.