Income Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

grado

Dec 28, 2003
How do I get income tax or pin number? I tried calling the helpline but the answering machine does not seem to give me the option to get it... Working in an environment that does not allow me to call up during office hours easily. The website left me in a blur too... Is it true that I have to sign up for singpass before I can access e-filing? What other ways have I got?

grado said:
How do I get income tax or pin number? I tried calling the helpline but the answering machine does not seem to give me the option to get it... Working in an environment that does not allow me to call up during office hours easily. The website left me in a blur too... Is it true that I have to sign up for singpass before I can access e-filing? What other ways have I got?

you could use the iras pin which is mailed to your house... if not, just sign up for your singpass @ any CPF office and CC (should be any if i am not wrong) and use it to access iras for your income tax.

IMHO, Singpass is more useful as it is used in most eGov. applications...

I did not get the iras PIN number. And I dun like the idea of Singpass as I feel it is not secure as i may lose the number and affect things like cpf,, and I tend to forget passwords I dun use often... Sigh...

hmmm....
for my case, I'm a newbie in income tax filling...;)
tried few times using my SingPass, but after enter my password and press 'enter', it brought me back to the initial page of login (asking whether u wan to login using SingPass or IRAS Pin).. ;(

any idea? :dunno:

Octopuz said:
hmmm....
tried few times using my SingPass, but after enter my password and press 'enter', it brought me back to the initial page of login (asking whether u wan to login using SingPass or IRAS Pin).. ;(

Don't press "Enter"! Use the mouse to click "Submit" button!

Octopuz said:
hmmm....

is this your very first time filing income tax, whether online or by the old method? I faced the same problem as you and I went down to IRAS to enquire. As this is my first time to file income tax, I need to fill up a form to apply for filing of income tax. Then they will process and send me the paper forms thru the mail in 2 weeks.

ahber79 said:
is this your very first time filing income tax, whether online or by the old method? I faced the same problem as you and I went down to IRAS to enquire. As this is my first time to file income tax, I need to fill up a form to apply for filing of income tax. Then they will process and send me the paper forms thru the mail in 2 weeks.

Thanks~! :)

ahber79 said:
no prob. the form can be downloaded from here. http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/resources/registernewtpa.doc
u must hurry as for paper filing, the deadline is 15th Apr.

I find it rather ridiculous that I have to print out this page and send to IRA so that I can get the tax form. It's almost like paying for the ink, print out paper and envelope and mail, so that I can be taxed. I think I rather get the Singpass number if I have no choice... I dun understand why they did not send me the income tax number, since they did it last year...

grado said:
I find it rather ridiculous that I have to print out this page and send to IRA so that I can get the tax form. It's almost like paying for the ink, print out paper and envelope and mail, so that I can be taxed. I think I rather get the Singpass number if I have no choice... I dun understand why they did not send me the income tax number, since they did it last year...

this form is only for people first time filing income tax. (ie. first year annual income more than $22k.) for your case U can fax the application form for IRAS PIN or you can go down to IRAS with your IC and they print on the spot for you. If I'm not wrong, they only send the IRAS PIN to those people who e-file last year. So if you file it the paper way, I dun think they will send you the IRAS PIN this year. hope this helps ;)

I suppose that Singpass is ur own IC number and you need to key in a password for it. If you trusted Internet banking, singpass is ok for u. ;)

SingPass allow u to do many e gov transactions. It is convenient and secure to use.

just thought I would share what I received from IRAS today. essentially:
  • women will now file their income independently, joint filing by spouses are no more.
  • if you earn less than $22,000 you do not need to file a return and you may not be issued an IRAS pin.

hwchoy said:
  • women will now file their income independently, joint filing by spouses are no more.
  • if you earn less than $22,000 you do not need to file a return and you may not be issued an IRAS pin.

oh, no more joint filing? That's new to me. Thanks for sharing.

btw, knowing the architecture and audit etc behind Singpass, it is as secure as it gets ;)

One good news is that people with less than $22,000 will not need to file.
But they should have release the information earlier.

hwchoy said:

Hmm... Able to log in to myTax Portal and stated that I dun need to do any action for this year tax return.. So, do i still need to fill up the Form B1 and return to them... :dunno:

They gave you Form B1 in case you have any other income sources to declare like taxi driving etc. LOL. (that would put you under Form B, but that's besides the point)

But if your income is below $22000 and they said you do not have to do anything but you still want to make sure, you can send it back with your income stated.
but if you're a civil servant or your company has opted for auto-declaration, you can don't bother about the form unless you have kids, wife or parents to support.

And don't put zeros in all blank squares. The girls at the tax returns screening will laugh at it and show everyone else. :D

do remember to check your relief section. I had to edit it to claim for wife, child and parent relief, the default given was only self and NSman relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.