Incident at the Esplanade

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phildate

I posted something in a thread yesterday but thought I would share the rest of the story:

Yesterday evening I was with two fellow photographers practising night-time photography. We started off at Merlion Walk but made our way back to the Esplanade at around 8pm. They were taking shots of the Esplanade and City from the patio in front of the main entrance (I was only helping them) when a young CISCO guard sat just inside the main entrance got jumpy and came to confront us. Usual line: "Esplanade building is copyrighted so cannot take pictures here". I told him that we weren't taking for any commercial purpose and therefore he had no right to ask us to stop. So off he went for reinforcements and got a superior armed officer and two others, who again told us the same thing. Again we stuck to our guns. Off they went on their walkie-talkies. After fifteen minutes of this, the main officer said that he had spoken to management and they had approved us being there provided we gave our names, which we duly did.

Anyway, today I decided to speak to someone at the Esplanade about this. I was quite forthright with the first lady I spoke to (who was very polite and apologetic) and subsequently I have received two phone calls from Esplanade management. Both apologised profusely for the over-zealousness of their security officers. I explained and I think they understood, that using a tripod does not make one a professional photographer and should not be a reason to be pounced on by a security guard. They agreed and said they will brief there security manager to keep better track of the staff. I hope this will relieve the headache for all the hobbyists in Singapore who want to photograph the Esplanade and do so without the hassle of security guards and their stupid questions/demands.

And if you do get hassled, I suggest you call their Customer Service number and complain. Maybe in the end they will get the message!

The last time I shot inside the esplanade, nobody stopped me :dunno:

About 1 year ago, I organized a group photoshoot with 3 bikini models and 18 photographers and 3 organizers (big group). We walked along the seaside walkway next to Esplanade, the security guards stopped us and showed us where is the "boundary", inside the "boundary" we cannot shoot, outside the "boundary" we can shoot. It was quite funny, we took many photos at the edge of the walkway and no one care. One guy purposely step 1 foot inside the "boundary" and the guards appeared immediately.

You'll never see the guards appearing if the shooter is a tourist and/or foreigner, it's always SGeans that kena :)

espn said:
You'll never see the guards appearing if the shooter is a tourist and/or foreigner, it's always SGeans that kena :)

Not true my friend - my two fellow photogs and I are all very typical looking Caucasians. But it did surprise me.

Astin said:
About 1 year ago, I organized a group photoshoot with 3 bikini models and 18 photographers and 3 organizers (big group). We walked along the seaside walkway next to Esplanade, the security guards stopped us and showed us where is the "boundary", inside the "boundary" we cannot shoot, outside the "boundary" we can shoot. It was quite funny, we took many photos at the edge of the walkway and no one care. One guy purposely step 1 foot inside the "boundary" and the guards appeared immediately.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Phildate said:
Not true my friend - my two fellow photogs and I are all very typical looking Caucasians. But it did surprise me.
Ah yes, forgot about you :sweat:

Hmm... I shot at Esplanade quite a few times with a DSLR but never got stopped before..... Even went inside and on top of the building to shoot... maybe I don't look professional enough.... ;p

Astin said:

I was ever questioned by a jaga when I took pics near Comcentre (Singtel's HQ).
And at Stamford House, Arts House (Old Parliament House)...

But I managed to sneak many shots inside Supreme Court and City Hall without being seen. :bsmilie:

redstone said:
I was ever questioned by a jaga when I took pics near Comcentre (Singtel's HQ).
And at Stamford House, Arts House (Old Parliament House)...

But I managed to sneak many shots inside Supreme Court and City Hall without being seen. :bsmilie:

well done. as we're typing away, the ISA ppl are on their way to ur apartment. hahaha:bsmilie:

espn said:
My group looked like typical tourist group from China/Taiwan/Japan one, except the 3 bikini models...

I was in a huge group of about 30 plus people once. SPI was explaining the feng shui of Millenia and Centtenial Towers (pardon the spelling).

We were at the plaza between the two towers (part of the same project). Some of us were taking pics of the towers.

Then this guy came out, asked what we were doing and told us no phptography!!!! ;(

went shooting at esp on mon nite.

1. exit facing the CBD, taking pic of the elephant..
2. inside, shots of little soft toys hanging the ceiling.
3. inside, near to the entrance facing city hall, took pic of the BIG slippers.
4. downstairs, along the walkway to city link.

NO one stop me.

althru there is a guard when i am at no. 3 :sweat:

he no stop me leh..

maybe i dun look "harmless".. :bsmilie:

i was there doing a nite shot with a tripod somewhere this year jan.i was stop by a policeman/.CISCO..he ask me to pack up and move off...he stand there till i pack up and leave....

this is BS why can't we take photo of building,when we are "outside" of the building..

I went there to shoot on Tue night. Nobody stopped me too. hehe maybe because there werer a bunch of tourist taking pics too. Camouflage =p

Next time if some jaga gives the same old lame 'this building's design is copyrighted' excuse, just say "I've already bought the copyright" and see his response. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Once again, the security guards making up their own laws syndrome strikes! :)

Phildate said:
I posted something in a thread yesterday but thought I would share the rest of the story:

Yesterday evening I was with two fellow photographers practising night-time photography. We started off at Merlion Walk but made our way back to the Esplanade at around 8pm. They were taking shots of the Esplanade and City from the patio in front of the main entrance (I was only helping them) when a young CISCO guard sat just inside the main entrance got jumpy and came to confront us. Usual line: "Esplanade building is copyrighted so cannot take pictures here". I told him that we weren't taking for any commercial purpose and therefore he had no right to ask us to stop. So off he went for reinforcements and got a superior armed officer and two others, who again told us the same thing. Again we stuck to our guns. Off they went on their walkie-talkies. After fifteen minutes of this, the main officer said that he had spoken to management and they had approved us being there provided we gave our names, which we duly did.

Anyway, today I decided to speak to someone at the Esplanade about this. I was quite forthright with the first lady I spoke to (who was very polite and apologetic) and subsequently I have received two phone calls from Esplanade management. Both apologised profusely for the over-zealousness of their security officers. I explained and I think they understood, that using a tripod does not make one a professional photographer and should not be a reason to be pounced on by a security guard. They agreed and said they will brief there security manager to keep better track of the staff. I hope this will relieve the headache for all the hobbyists in Singapore who want to photograph the Esplanade and do so without the hassle of security guards and their stupid questions/demands.

And if you do get hassled, I suggest you call their Customer Service number and complain. Maybe in the end they will get the message!

ya...they are making up their own law...they think they are the law maker or they are above the law....

chris wong said:
i was there doing a nite shot with a tripod somewhere this year jan.i was stop by a policeman/.CISCO..he ask me to pack up and move off...he stand there till i pack up and leave....

this is BS why can't we take photo of building,when we are "outside" of the building..
I was stopped outside the Esplanade by police officers, not security guards, who shone their torchlights and tried to "show who's boss" around and demanded that I stop shooting. I simply replied, "I've asked the management and was told that I could shoot as long as it was for personal use." The two officers were speechless and left without a word..:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

+evenstar said:
I was stopped outside the Esplanade by police officers, not security guards, who shone their torchlights and tried to "show who's boss" around and demanded that I stop shooting. I simply replied, "I've asked the management and was told that I could shoot as long as it was for personal use." The two officers were speechless and left without a word..:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I tried to shoot inside House Of Tan Yeok Nee, a Chinese mansion, now University of Chicago GSB. He told me I have to make an appointment!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.