Inborn Talent or Trained Talent

photoart

Feb 21, 2009
Singapore
www.facebook.com
There are two types of talented people: some are talented naturally while some practice/train for a long period of time

For some people, give them any camera or musical instrument or other stuff and they master it easily

For other, they have to slog many hours until they achieve the same results.

Some photographers can just carry a entry level camera and produce great shots by just going out on a walkabout. Others have to buy the best equipment and spend hours reading techanical books

I was once on a set where two photographers was shooting a TFCD bridal couple. Photographer X just took a "test" shoot,did some adjustments and was snapping away while chatting with the couple. On the other hand. Photographer Z spent a lot of time posing the couple,reading the exposure,setting the lights etc .... when i saw the results, both results looked on par techanically

however Photographer X's photos seem to have more "feel", while the other was just ok

I play the Drums and have seen very young children on you tube playing the drums. I can tell that some kids are playing very techanically, meaning that they "count" every beat in their head and execute the strokes like a robot. They are very precised and accurate. Most likely trained by their parents.

When i saw this, I kinda feel that she had inborn talent..

[video=youtube_share;jDngvBMT2Zc]http://youtu.be/jDngvBMT2Zc[/video]

please note that it's not easy coordinating all four limbs

In school, some student seem to be playing around and still get straight As while others have to spend hours doing assignments and having tuition. Some students are natural at analyzing, so they can solve maths and other questions easily. Some have to bury themselves in books,memorizing methods and answers

So which do you belong to?

Last edited:
photoart said:
There are two types of talented people: g to?

Having stated the obvious, where do you plan for this thread to go?

no where in mind... just a laze sunday kopitiam chat..

maybe share some your views on some talented people that you know or have met...

or maybe comment on the drummer girl

for myself, I like music since a very young age. I have got good comments on my primary school report cards,stating my ability in the music section.

I took only 12 basic drums lessons and learnt the rest on my own just by listening to CDs. I didn't have to search for scores books, I can listen to the music and figure it out on my own, same case for the piano and guitar...oops hope I am not sounding arrogant here ;p

however for my academic part, I was terrble at school. I spent my time playing and only memorize the methods and answers just before the exams... hence I have poor grades in class

Last edited:
no where in mind... just a laze sunday kopitiam chat..

maybe share some your views on some talented people that you know or have met...

or maybe comment on the drummer girl

for myself, I like music since a very young age. I have got good comments on my primary school report cards,stating my ability in the music section.

I took only 12 basic drums lessons and learnt the rest on my own just by listening to CDs. I didn't have to search for scores books, I can listen to the music and figure it out on my own, same case for the piano and guitar...oops hope I am not sounding arrogant here ;p

however for my academic part, I was terrble at school. I spent my time playing and only memorize the methods and answers just before the exams... hence I have pro grades in class

Doubt you made it pro in university though. haha. Doesn't work that way anymore.

Old hat issue nature vs nurture even LKY has gone through this. Frankly as far as achievements go, it does not matter how or where you started out from. Nature aka in born talent with out the hard work to polish it to the max of its potential can only bring you so far - to show most of the potential you still need to grounding, training, practice - Michangelo the painter, was awesome talent but still went for training and we are grace by his masterpieces. Nurture for the not so well endowed, means that you just have to work harder if you really want to make it. Some times in the process of training, a quantum jump can be made in showing talent. If you do not polish what ever ability you have, you can never really make it shine to its fullest. No point comparing dxxx sizes with the other dude, cos dxxxs come in all shapes and size and performance abilities - it is what you do with yours that counts more. You never will know what the other dude did along the way to get to where he is at.

Go take pictures, go research for info and images evaluate what you did ask how can it be better ask did you communicate anything to viewer. leave the art issues to people who have more time than it is good for them, forget the stupid phrase "art is subjective" which only applies to rich people who are being CONvinced to buy some way way over priced pieces which even your grandmother will tell you is cxxx. The thing is close to about 95% of pictures are readily distinguished by 85% of people as either good or not. If you can start to do the remainding 5% its unlike this post would have been here.

i no talent, even with hardwork.

so i shall sit here suck thumb

i can guarantee you that any student, no matter how intelligent, who does not work hard will not get straight 'A's. it's just that you never see them work behind the scenes or at home at night.

years ago, i met a fellow student when i was in University who always got top grades, but appeared never to work at all during the day, but just spent his time relaxing and partying. later i found out from his roommate that he studied like crazy every night in order to get his excellent results, just so that he could maintain his cool and calm appearance during the day. lol.

to all those "untalented" ppl out there...don't be disheartened. we can all find success, provided we work hard at it.

as they say... 勤能补拙

:)

i can guarantee you that any student, no matter how intelligent, who does not work hard will not get straight 'A's. it's just that you never see them work behind the scenes or at home at night.

years ago, i met a fellow student when i was in University who always got top grades, but appeared never to work at all during the day, but just spent his time relaxing and partying. later i found out from his roommate that he studied like crazy every night in order to get his excellent results, just so that he could maintain his cool and calm appearance during the day. lol.

had a classmate just like that.

I was from a Christian school, and at that time speaking chinese was frowned upon. no one wanted to be known to like listening to chinese radio stations. Doing badly in Chinese 2nd language seems to be "cool". Being labled by the Chinese Language teacher as a Banana(yellow on outside and white inside) was cool too

However there was this classmate who pretended not to like chinese lessons so he can be "in" our group..... but he always gets "A" for the paper..... he said that it was coz his household speaks chinese all the time..... it was only a few years after graduation that he admitted he studied very hard when he gets home

However that being said... some people naturally have analytical skills that allows them to easily understand the subjects. Some people can seem to understand the topics no matter how hard they try, so they just memorize methods and "model answers" and just apply them during the exams

like I cannot draw for nuts, my drawing skills are limited to stick people, though I've alot of images in mind... but I can master any camera while twiddling it for the first few mins.. bcos when I was baby, I was bitten.. not bitten but shot by a camera, so the power was infused in me already

maybe you have a special way of thumb sucking... that's a talent :bsmilie:

here's one thumb for you :thumbsup:

suck finish can borrow your toes to suck? i ran out

which brings us to the story of:

naruto-picture.jpeg

Reminds me of the ending of Metal Gear Solid (PS1) where Naomi Hunter talks about genetics.
She said something like "your genes only predict your potential, nothing more. Whether or not you can maximize your potential depends on external factors".

suck finish can borrow your toes to suck? i ran out

I think Bon Bon got a LARGE collection of those :bsmilie:

This manga "History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi " is the type where the main character (hardworking but not talented) beat those talented ones :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Inborn talent or trained talent both are talents.

1306464230823.jpg
ayamb-sardine-talls-425g%205.70.jpg

Whether Yeo sardine or Ayam sardine both are sardine.

If you have no talent just work hard at it. But it is important that you must enjoy what you are doing. Persistency and consistency are just as important.

Don't look to others to find out what you lack. Find out what you have and make the best out of it. :)