In the ST comics section today. (20 Aug. 2006)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
This comic strip really summarises the situation. Kudos to Mr. Lee Chee Chew.

scan21.jpg

This is sooooo true.... they do this all the time, citing increasing costs each time they announce a fare increase. A few months later, when corporate earnings are declared, they beat last year & their share price goes up. *sigh*

Rising costs is one thing. I don't mind the prices being raised, but please also raise the number of seats in MRT and raise the frequency of the trains. Seats are almost always fully occupied during peak hour every morning at Pasir Ris. I pity those who stay in Tampines or Simei and even Pasir Ris who work all the way west as most of the time, it's standing all the way or if lucky at least until Tg Pagar. The problem is that people don't queue. When there was a campaign, it usually works for a while but it will only take one inconsiderate person who jumps the queue to ruin the whole system.

If possible, they should have express trains that only stop at major stations. They should be able to schedule the trains in such a way that trains can overtake at stations using the opposite track if need be. It may be complicated but should be possible.

lsisaxon said:
Rising costs is one thing. I don't mind the prices being raised, but please also raise the number of seats in MRT and raise the frequency of the trains. Seats are almost always fully occupied during peak hour every morning at Pasir Ris. I pity those who stay in Tampines or Simei and even Pasir Ris who work all the way west as most of the time, it's standing all the way or if lucky at least until Tg Pagar. The problem is that people don't queue. When there was a campaign, it usually works for a while but it will only take one inconsiderate person who jumps the queue to ruin the whole system.

If possible, they should have express trains that only stop at major stations. They should be able to schedule the trains in such a way that trains can overtake at stations using the opposite track if need be. It may be complicated but should be possible.

the express trains thing is a good idea. but i think it's happening now. there are trains that only stop at yishun. like from marina bay to yishun i think? the problem is that people dun wait for the yishun train and they wanna squeeze with the rest of the passangers going all the way along the north east line. guess singaporeans are rushing for time very often.

lsisaxon said:

cannot. becos if they do that then they'll say operating costs have risen and up the fares another time. :D

Ever tried buse 174 during peak hours? So crowded that bus drivers are forced to skip stops.

174, taken it a few times around 6pm. So very packed that I had to stand at the door. People had moved to the back, but bus completely full, even overloaded I think. Luckily I was alighting few stops later.

:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

cant help but to think SBS is a simple to run company when compare to mnc.

why?? because if profit is low, just raise the the fare.

how can?? they can because they are 1 of the 2 companies that runs "public transport".

denniskee said:
cant help but to think SBS is a simple to run company when compare to mnc.

why?? because if profit is low, just raise the the fare.
Ya, it seems to us lay-man out here, that is the action they take when the profit margin gets eaten up for whatever the reasons.

if anyone got a certain % of projected growth target to meet and the deadline's near... hehe it's a simple and quick remedy to up the selling price to get a bigger profit. :D

i remember hearing from somewhere or someone that all garhmen linked bodeees MUST have increasing profeeets every year. true or not i dont know and it's not me who made the statement.

note: there are no typos in the message.

pp, I think SBS is much better than transport in other countries. like in Melbourne trains are so unsafe that d dare not take the train alone at night (got drunkens and weird pp). Then, taking an hour of train/bus cost u $8 sth. and the trams...maybe because everyone else got car lah:(

There is actually a very simple solution, as I have stated in a previous thread. SMRT, SBS Transit and ComfortDelgro are publicly listed and traded companies, you can buy their shares on the open market and benefit from dividend payments and capital gains. If you truly believe that these companies have a monopoly and profiteer freely at the consumer's expense, then surely their returns must be exceedingly good. I then suggest you put down some money to buy a few shares in the companies, the returns you should theoretically make would far outstrip any increase in fares you have to pay, yes?

Any takers?

I suspect not many, because the truth, as unpalatable as it is, is that public transport fares in SG are low as developed nations go, and the business risks, in the environment of rising fuel costs, is high.

I really don't think SBS Transit or the PTC are being unreasonable.

dkw said:
There is actually a very simple solution, as I have stated in a previous thread. SMRT, SBS Transit and ComfortDelgro are publicly listed and traded companies, you can buy their shares on the open market and benefit from dividend payments and capital gains. If you truly believe that these companies have a monopoly and profiteer freely at the consumer's expense, then surely their returns must be exceedingly good. I then suggest you put down some money to buy a few shares in the companies, the returns you should theoretically make would far outstrip any increase in fares you have to pay, yes?

Any takers?

I suspect not many, because the truth, as unpalatable as it is, is that public transport fares in SG are low as developed nations go, and the business risks, in the environment of rising fuel costs, is high.

I really don't think SBS Transit or the PTC are being unreasonable.

interesting...

wondering what would it be like if you take ur view to sammy...

:think:

Folk who are complaining about the profits and fare hikes are missing the point. Its not about the profits, its about affordability and sustainability. The questions folk don't ask is this; 1) Are the fares affordable? and 2) Are the service levels sustainable?

If there are a small percentage of folk who find the fares unaffordable, is a blanket subsidy for all travellers the way to go? How costly is that and how targeted would that help be?

Status
Not open for further replies.