In the name of "Portfolio Building"

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
A thread was posted at Service Wanted section, This thread starter request a photographer to follow her to Krabi for a Casual pre-wedding shoot, the photographer will not be paid for the shoot, but the airfare and accommodation will be sponsored.

Here is the original post, I only remove the user ID and email contact.

I am looking for photographer who would like to build up his/her portfolio
Krabi on 22 March - 24 March - Best if you are familiar with there
Casual pre-wedding shoot

I am only willing to pay for the airfare and accomodation
3D2N

Interested, please contact ** at *********@gmail.com with your contact and portfolio

The original post/thread was deleted by me, but I think it is good to keep a thread like this for education purpose.

Last edited:
Hi,this is elvin, i would like to the up this assignment, would u mind provide me more details about it.

Thanks

now I've seen it all.

Krabi.. Superb place.. Beautiful sunset.. Went there for my honeymoon last year. I'm willing to take up this assignment.

Do contact me

TS posted that only airfare and accomodation is included
so i guess maggie mee should be provided..
hmm.. not bad..

lol,

TS is looking for photographers willing to shoot for shelter and transport. So this is shoot for free lar?
must photographer bring their own maggie mee or not?

now who is more pathetic? photographers or..........??

Hi, do you need make up artist? I familiar with that place.

No no no,

Only air fair and accomodation is provised, ferry, meggie mee, plain water and local travel you pay your own.

By agreeding to shoot for them you're also providing them food, specificaly carrot cake because TS is looking for carrot head to chop.

TS join in 29 Feb 2012 and first post already asking for free photography, if this is not a clear case of exploting CS for free service I don't know what is.

In there nothing in the T&C of CS to stop this? Do we allow this "coming to CS to get free photography service"? The image of CS is starting to look like a "carrot head" and we're allowing this to carry on.

If you want to get married save for it, no money to shoot overseas, shoot local.

I think it's time mod can do something abt this. It's getting a little out of hand, though I must agree we are to be blamed looking at those who responded with interest..

Sorry for the OT but this thread or its discussion should be stickied. Hall of Fame material!

For those responding to TS request, ever think about the worst case scenario if something happens to your equipment? Client is not even offering to pay equipment fees for a nominal sum. I suppose if the bad should happen you can still whip out your Iphone and continue the shoot. Great plan!

we had mention it many times, even put it in the sticky thread...

it has come to our attention that there are a number of people asking photographers/models to work for free/pittance because they are on a 'tight' budget.

please take note that CS strongly discourage asking photographers/models to work for free/pittance, unless it is for a charity or other noteworthy causes (subjected to prior approval by the CS Admins). such posts will be summarily deleted.

all such freeloaders' threads we will delete when spotted, but personally, I will let some threads surface occasionally, to serve as education purposes....

let members learn how to deal with such requests, let photographers learn how to say "No" in many ways, let everyone knows how we feel about this. :)

hahaha....

TS so kind. Since you so generous willing to pay for my airfare and accommodation for such a luxurious pre wedding shoot, I will be kind also to shoot for you.... Only in the airplane and accommodation. Rest of the time i will be there to shoot other things to build my portfolio.

Thanks!

we had mention it many times, even put it in the sticky thread...

all such freeloaders' threads we will delete when spotted, but personally, I will let some threads surface occasionally, to serve as education purposes....

let members learn how to deal with such requests, let photographers learn how to say "No" in many ways, let everyone knows how we feel about this. :)

Tks Catchlights.

Perhaps you could disable their PM and remove their contact as there will still be people who reply and that would have served their purpose, No? Just a suggestion.

I suggest TS should post their couple pic here. Just want to make sure it is worth doing for it. Dont wan to end up with jurassic park theme. ( Not referring to TS ) If the couple look like those living thing from jurassic park ,no point shooting it for foc and use it as portfolio.

i think also good to post the main photographer's portfolio. don't want to end up the person shooting for free do a better job and being made use as a free main photographer...

house3377 said:
i think also good to post the main photographer's portfolio. don't want to end up the person shooting for free do a better job and being made use as a free main photographer...

Haha, I like your counter intuitively post :)

Tks Catchlights.

Perhaps you could disable their PM and remove their contact as there will still be people who reply and that would have served their purpose, No? Just a suggestion.
it is much simple just to delete the whole thread, but I don't want the service wanted section to be too sterilised.

:)

Hi All,

I've mentioned about the 'free photography' problem/syndrome long ago but some newbies insist that without starting out for free how do they ever get to starter! Well newbies have to start at the beginning as you dont learn to fly before your learn to walk. Over the years I've trained more than 50 newbies. Of course not everyone will make it but there are a few who have made Photography their career. Whenever I have a chance to find a newbie who is keen to learn about photography and even my trainees/interns get paid to learn. There is No such thing as 'free photography' in my vocabulary. All my clients either pay full rate or what i term 'charity' rates if they are non-profit organisation, they are either subsidised or depend on donations but end of the day we are providing a service and Not doing volunteer work. My 2cents.

Hi All,

I've mentioned about the 'free photography' problem/syndrome long ago but some newbies insist that without starting out for free how do they ever get to starter! Well newbies have to start at the beginning as you dont learn to fly before your learn to walk. Over the years I've trained more than 50 newbies. Of course not everyone will make it but there are a few who have made Photography their career. Whenever I have a chance to find a newbie who is keen to learn about photography and even my trainees/interns get paid to learn. There is No such thing as 'free photography' in my vocabulary. All my clients either pay full rate or what i term 'charity' rates if they are non-profit organisation, they are either subsidised or depend on donations but end of the day we are providing a service and Not doing volunteer work. My 2cents.

can train me?