In Search of a new companion; sick &tired of Powershot A520

Status
Not open for further replies.

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
Well, this is my doubts.
I've been using the Canon Powershot A520 for almost 3 years now.I've achieved quite impressive results from this compact digicam. Now I'm in National Service so I've kinda lost touch with photography. I think i wanna have a comeback with a better cam but not necessarily a DSLR as budget is kinda tight. So The 3IS etc. series caught my attention.

what are the merits and demerits of this series?

http://nooriskandar.deviantart.com

Judging from my past themes of photography,I'm into conceptual, still art, moody pieces and many at times nature/travel shots. That aside, I'm an "official" cameraman for my family rendezvous. So, is this the right choice? A balance between function and compatibility.

Other infos:
-I do post processing rather alot.
-I'm steering into a new , larger prints.
-I rather stick with Canon since I have the photoprinter thingy so its less hassle.

Please help.
Tired (& sore-eyety)soul

HOHO

very nice pictures considering a compact consumer is being used

3is? s3 is is no longer in production, now only have s5 is. first off, you seem to be doing photogrpahy for a while, and i remember a520 has manual function
so if you are familiar with the general concepts of aperture, shutter speed and iso perhaps you could consider jumping straight to dslr
i have done a brief writeup/comparison extolling the benefits of using prosumer, and comparison between prosumer and dslr
you can read it here, hopefully it will help

Well, this is my doubts.
I've been using the Canon Powershot A520 for almost 3 years now.I've achieved quite impressive results from this compact digicam. Now I'm in National Service so I've kinda lost touch with photography. I think i wanna have a comeback with a better cam but not necessarily a DSLR as budget is kinda tight. So The 3IS etc. series caught my attention.

what are the merits and demerits of this series?

http://nooriskandar.deviantart.com

Judging from my past themes of photography,I'm into conceptual, still art, moody pieces and many at times nature/travel shots. That aside, I'm an "official" cameraman for my family rendezvous. So, is this the right choice? A balance between function and compatibility.

Other infos:
-I do post processing rather alot.
-I'm steering into a new , larger prints.
-I rather stick with Canon since I have the photoprinter thingy so its less hassle.

Please help.
Tired (& sore-eyety)soul

HOHO

You should probably be able to get D40 for under S$800, A200, E-410 or 350D for probably a bit more. Do consider.

oh u may wan to try Panasonic Lumix FZ18. its a great cam. its abt the same price as S5i.

up this thread for the poor dude who didn't know how (?!?!?!) and got his new thread closed by moderator..

btw to threadstarter.. if you intend to stay with canon (and short of budget) you can consider canon wares available in the buy and sell section.. the old 300d.. 350d are going at pretty affordable prices (affordable being relative of course).. i dun quite suggest you go prosumer then to dslr though if you think you will continue to be keen on photography.. coz you carry the brunt of the prosumer (the weight) and yet get less picture quality and less manual flexibility from it (unless you fancy things like super macro mode / super telezoom)..

cheers..

your photos are really good so don't limit your choices to your printer. look around and read up abit on the current crop of cameras to see what you may be looking for in a camera.

if you are really tight on a budget and don't intend to invest further in your camera setup, i feel you should go for a good prosumer like the Canon S5is or G9, Panasonic FZ50 or Ricoh offerings. these cameras offer full control and also good quality optics.

Dslrs will definately give you more creative control especially in post processing as the raw image quality is better (larger sensor) than prosumers and compacts. but the kit lenses for budget dslrs are usually poor performers so you will invest more in the future in better lenses.

hope you find something you like

the g9 looks good,is it selling in SG?

Seriously, consider a budget DSLR like Nikon D40, D60 or Canon 350D, 400D. It's not that intimidating and you will love the fast response compared to PnS.

D40 is at a good price range :) However do factor in after-purchase care & costs for dSLR cameras: dry cabinet, cleaning tools, bag, protective filter. Hm and vaccination against BBB virus.

D40 is at a good price range :) However do factor in after-purchase care & costs for dSLR cameras: dry cabinet, cleaning tools, bag, protective filter. Hm and vaccination against BBB virus.

Not as if you don't need all those if it's a PnS.

Status
Not open for further replies.