In search of a cheap zoom lens. Help is needed! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesliekoh

May 6, 2008
Singapore, Serangoon
Hi all, i just bought my first DSLR, Canon 500D with Kit 1 lens, 2 weeks ago.
realized that the kit lens is not zooming far enough for the shots i wanna shoot.
after some light research and browsing, i have somehow come to a conclusion on which models that will meet my requirements:

1. Sigma (CanonMount) 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 DG MACRO
2. Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
3. Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5mm II USM

basically, i'm looking for a cheap zoom lens for daily usage but not sure which of this lens is value for buck. i'm intending to get a 2nd-hand one as this lens will most likely be abused by me very often and before i go for a L lens with a similar focal length :)

so, just drop me all your views and opinions or suggestions if i've missed out any models which suits better! :)

Thank you all for your time and effort in helping me and happy snapping! :)

Last edited:
The 3 models you mentioned might be sufficient to last your "hunger" for awhile..but afterwhich you might find it limited again! Furthermore i think all these 3 models are rather old lens which might be hard to get if you are looking for 1st hand.

Y not consider sigma 18-200mm, canon 55-250mm or the cheapest will be canon 70-300mm?

hey Gerald, thanks for your fast reply!

well, looking for less than $500 since i'm intending to get a 2nd hand one :)

i assume is kit 1 lens is 18-55 lens.
lets say u are willing to bring to lens out. then the next lens you need to find is something 55-XX onwards

suggestions for such focal length are:
55-200
50-250
70-300

depends on what u need, get what u want.

You might want to try out the zoom lens to see how much zoom you need? Else if you get a max focal length of 105mm and find it not sufficient then it will be a waste of time.

Can get a canon 18-200mm to play safe.

wildsoyabean - i'm intending to replace the kit len with this zoom lens thus, the 18/25-105/200mm :)

prec85 - thanks! that's what i thought so too but not sure if i can find a lens that is with that focal length and cheap at the same time :p

Last edited:
save for a 24-105 f4 L

its good glass... worth it

wildsoyabean - i'm intending to replace the kit len with this zoom lens thus, the 18/25-105/200mm :)

prec85 - thanks! that's what i thought so too but not sure if i can find a lens that is with that focal length and cheap at the same time :p

if you dont mind changing lens, then canon 55-250 is a good option that you can get <$400 first hand
otherwise if you want 2nd hand, can look for the canon 18-200, sigma 18-250, tamron 18-270. that said, image quality might not be so good for these all in one zooms, although price range probably all >$500 even 2nd hand.
might want to consider how fast you are going to upgrade and just save up for the best you have in mind ;)

Try the 70-300 IS. It may not be that cheap but it is really worth saving a little more for.

Status
Not open for further replies.