In search for the perfect bag...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray_stinger

Hmmm, presently Im using the Computrekker to store my camera and gears (10D w/ grip, 24-70, 12-24, 105mm macro, 50mm mkII, 500DG Super, 1.4x TC, 25mm extension tube, bulb blower and spare batts. It fits perfectly and Im really happy with it. However, I feel like im carrying a gigantic tortoise shell everytime I go shooting and with a backpack like this, its very difficult to interchange lense during shoot. Moreover, I usually only use 1 or 2 lens outta the 4 that I bring out, hence, such a big bag is only good when I go for extended shoot such as tours or events coverage.

Im looking for a smaller bag which can house my 10D w/ grip, and probably 2 lens and a flash. The worse case scenario will be carrying the 2 biggest lens, 24-70 and 12-24 which happened to be my most commonly used combo. So im wondering what bag will be suitable for such gears setup? Im looking @ the Stealth Reporter 200AW but im trying to looking for other brands of bag as well. It must be small, compact, and allows me to have some extra space to put a novel sized book as well. Any suggestions besides the Stealth Reporter? Pricing wise hopefully under 100, dont mind getting second hand. :)

backpack and sling bag has each their own advantages.

since u know yr shooting style, i suggest u buy a sling bag.
easy access to yr equipment/accessories too.
10D + grip, 24-70 and 12-24, flash, 1.4xTC is good enuf for normal / event shooting. the rest can leave in the cabi.

The German outdoor gear company - Jack Wolfskin offers a small range of pretty good camera slingbags and backpacks. I bought one from the JW boutique in Bonn last year. The built is as good, if not better than Lowepro (so are the prices). I can't find anyone selling this brand of photogear in Singapore though :( .

small and under $100....hmmm.....
Deep-Thinker.gif

how abt the domke look-alike bag that TCW is selling?

ray_stinger said:
Hmmm, presently Im using the Computrekker to store my camera and gears (10D w/ grip, 24-70, 12-24, 105mm macro, 50mm mkII, 500DG Super, 1.4x TC, 25mm extension tube, bulb blower and spare batts. It fits perfectly and Im really happy with it. However, I feel like im carrying a gigantic tortoise shell everytime I go shooting and with a backpack like this, its very difficult to interchange lense during shoot. Moreover, I usually only use 1 or 2 lens outta the 4 that I bring out, hence, such a big bag is only good when I go for extended shoot such as tours or events coverage.

Im looking for a smaller bag which can house my 10D w/ grip, and probably 2 lens and a flash. The worse case scenario will be carrying the 2 biggest lens, 24-70 and 12-24 which happened to be my most commonly used combo. So im wondering what bag will be suitable for such gears setup? Im looking @ the Stealth Reporter 200AW but im trying to looking for other brands of bag as well. It must be small, compact, and allows me to have some extra space to put a novel sized book as well. Any suggestions besides the Stealth Reporter? Pricing wise hopefully under 100, dont mind getting second hand. :)

The stealth reporter looks good for your setup. I have it and similar setup as yours. but it is good to have diff bag for diff occasion. there is no perfect bag for all occasion.

I used the stealth reporter 200 for street photo and to travel ligth. for hiking, will use backpack

Domke lookalike..hmm, maybe later will check it out in the evening.

Actually Im looking for recommendations besides lowepro's offerings. Because I find that too many people are using Lowepro already and I want to be different. Haha

want to be different? how about NTUC plastic bag? heh....
vampire.gif

ray_stinger said:
Domke lookalike..hmm, maybe later will check it out in the evening.

Actually Im looking for recommendations besides lowepro's offerings. Because I find that too many people are using Lowepro already and I want to be different. Haha

i got a suggestion for u...go campers corner at capitol building, go check out the mountainsmith new range of camera bags..these are latest range so u can be different..whether u think the price is worth it or not..and do NOT pay the full price..if u cannot get at least 15% off, maybe i can help..

wanna be different ? yeah sure manz.
NTUC pla bags IS a fashion statement.

e reason everyone's carrying a lowepro is either it suits their needs ( good for them)
or it's e next most decent yet affordable cam bag ard.

try domke or billingham ? yeah sure they're different @ a cost!
how bout crumpler ?
bet ya can spot many hippies carrying those stuff ! (so it's not really different aye?)

safrotto ? why not? it looks different is cheap & of coz don't really kast as long provided ya don't try to wash it!
actually ya can give mekko a try then. they shld be of better built (slightly)
btw, some local press actually used safrotto bags !

or ya can try those really old nice small camera shops are the basements & see if ya can big any nice sweet different looking leather camera bag !

but I don't think ya'll grow to like a reporter 200. unless ya have a small built :D
it swings..

sigh... it's just so hard to be different @ e lower end.
enjoy.

For all-in-one solution...I'll go for a smaller bag option combined with the lowe-pro belt system.

perfect bag system is a two bags combo:
one big and one small, both being able to cross-sling and side-sling and backpack carry. best way to create it is to buy a backpac and custom sew/attach a side sling to it.

not worth buying those fanciful sling bags eg crumpler which like lowepro AW steakth reporter, will only serve to concentrate all the load on one side, even if u cross sling. and the AW stealth reporter is too bulky. thats why i sold mine :cool:

user111 said:
perfect bag system is a two bags combo:
one big and one small, both being able to cross-sling and side-sling and backpack carry. best way to create it is to buy a backpac and custom sew/attach a side sling to it.

not worth buying those fanciful sling bags eg crumpler which like lowepro AW steakth reporter, will only serve to concentrate all the load on one side, even if u cross sling. and the AW stealth reporter is too bulky. thats why i sold mine :cool:

may i know which bag is nice and cross sling?

RossChang said:
Domke J1 or J2... ;)

may i know where can i get these from? Doesnt seem to have s'pore dealer

Cathy Photo..... Domke bags are expensive in S'pore though....
Flee.gif

kensh09 said:
may i know where can i get these from? Doesnt seem to have s'pore dealer

An alternative is Lowepro's modular system.

You can mix and match additional lens or gear pouches to increase/decrease carrying capacity. These strap on to the main bag e.g. the lens holder on the side.

Carrying method e.g. harnesses/straps or belts can also be changed as and when you need to.

ray_stinger said:

yeah, saw u with that BIG bag,
u won't kidding when u say tortoise shell.

if bodget allows,
a 2nd hand Billingham 335,
got mine @260.
the covers beneath the flap can be open for
easy changing of lens.
think u saw it the other day when we met

most importantly,
its a Billingham.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.