D1.jpg

2) Common profession in Kunming
201a0a77.jpg

3) What are they doing??
ed9565fc.jpg

4) Left or Right?
e81120f6.jpg

What do you think of them?

Photos taken with Panasonic Lumix FZ10 ;)

You went to Kunming? I was there a couple of months back. I like your first shot. Nice compo.

Was your second shot was shot near a few shopping malls, like Parkson? Yes there is a lot around Kunming areas. All this sellers have no licience to sell but there are too many of them to catch them.

Third shot is some telephone technician probably testing tel lines.

Your fourth is almost there. I would have prefer if both of the subjects is closer and zoom in about 30% closer. The lady riding on the inner lanes are for bicycles only. Plenty of that around Kunming City.

Did you explore the other parts of Yunnan province or Kunming City urban areas?

Anymore to show?

Thanks for sharing!

Pro Image said:
You went to Kunming? I was there a couple of months back. I like your first shot. Nice compo.

Was your second shot was shot near a few shopping malls, like Parkson? Yes there is a lot around Kunming areas. All this sellers have no licience to sell but there are too many of them to catch them.

Third shot is some telephone technician probably testing tel lines.

Your fourth is almost there. I would have prefer if both of the subjects is closer and zoom in about 30% closer. The lady riding on the inner lanes are for bicycles only. Plenty of that around Kunming City.

Did you explore the other parts of Yunnan province or Kunming City urban areas?

Anymore to show?

Thanks for sharing!

Hey thanks for the effort to comment!

Besides Kunming, we went to Lijiang and Shangri-la...Shangri-la is beautiful..but the photos i took just dont do the place any justice.. :embrass: will post more another day.. :sweatsm:

dotti said:
Hey thanks for the effort to comment!

Besides Kunming, we went to Lijiang and Shangri-la...Shangri-la is beautiful..but the photos i took just dont do the place any justice.. :embrass: will post more another day.. :sweatsm:

So u stay in Gu Chen when you were in Lijang? That is one of the best place I stayed and explore. Was there for an assignment and had a little time to explore.

Shangri-La is absolutely magnificent! You took a plane to Shangri-La? You are right, it may look breath taking but taking the landscape is not easy it's just too wide!!! Did you see any Black Hairy OX? Their meat is super mama mia good!

Pro Image said:
So u stay in Gu Chen when you were in Lijang? That is one of the best place I stayed and explore. Was there for an assignment and had a little time to explore.

Shangri-La is absolutely magnificent! You took a plane to Shangri-La? You are right, it may look breath taking but taking the landscape is not easy it's just too wide!!! Did you see any Black Hairy OX? Their meat is super mama mia good!

no i didnt stay in Gu Chen..Gu Chen is beautiful huh! but i only got one hour to walk around there..well..bad tour guide lo..keep rushing us....

Shangri-la is my favourite..we went horse riding at "Na Pa Hai"..not sure if its the correct name..but its a seasonal lake..its beautiful there!

Is this the hairy ox you're talking about?

D3.jpg

this is taken at the "Na Pa Hai"...

hee...dont dare to think about what i'm eating when i was in yunnan..just too cruel to think bout it......

Nice photos...like No.1, colourful scene!

dotti said:
no i didnt stay in Gu Chen..Gu Chen is beautiful huh! but i only got one hour to walk around there..well..bad tour guide lo..keep rushing us....

Shangri-la is my favourite..we went horse riding at "Na Pa Hai"..not sure if its the correct name..but its a seasonal lake..its beautiful there!

Is this the hairy ox you're talking about?

D3.jpg

this is taken at the "Na Pa Hai"...

hee...dont dare to think about what i'm eating when i was in yunnan..just too cruel to think bout it......

Yep Yep that is the OX!

Thanks for sharing the pics dotti.
Did you use/book a local guide (in Kunming) or did you book from Sg agency?

What abt you Pro Image?

If any of you booked from Kunming, and the guide/agency is good, can pass me the contact? Thanks!

nuts said:

What abt you Pro Image?

If any of you booked from Kunming, and the guide/agency is good, can pass me the contact? Thanks!

Nah for me was on assignment. My client brought me around. So it was easy for me. I just booked an air ticket and 4 hours later I am Kunming. I advise you to booked Silk Air as it's a direct flight plus it's cheaper. Now it's low season. Should be selling about SGD$500 plus includes airport tax.

There are too many guides and agency over there. You need to buy their local newspaper as they have a couple of hundred of different tour agency which specialized in different local tours. Do not pay them any money until the day you board their local coach. This is my advice to you.

Yunnan province itself is huge! All the beautiful places is at least half a day to nearly a day's trip from Kunming. They have a place called Stone Forest. Bus ride takes up about 3 hours from Kunming.

And then they have another place call The Nationality Village which is about 45 mins away from the city by bus. The place itself it's huge. About 2-3 times the size of Sentosa Island. That will take you whole day.

Kunming city itself is also huge. You need at least 2-3 days to cover. Green Lake is a must. Weather in Kunming now is about 22-27 during the day and about 15-18 during the night. So take a jacket with you.

If you are thinking of going to Shangri-La, I would suggest you fly from Kunming. It's a super long ride by bus from Kunming. Local air fare from Kunming to Shangri-La is about RMB600 (around SGD 130 one way). Shangri-La however is really cold so you need a wind breaker. It's about 14-18 during the day but drops down to 5-10 at night.

The Yu Long Snow Mountain is a must to go as well. It's on the way from Lijiang. Either a cable car ride will take you there but if you love the scenic route, try the horse ride. It's cold as well as you reach the top. Wind breaker is a must as it's snowing.

Before you go Lijiang, you might want to stop over at Dali city as it's half way to Lijiang. It's a big but quiet city. Lijiang it's a very beautiful place to stay and take photos. Plenty of tourist though.....Dali and Lijiang weather is about 16-24 from day to night.

If you are really interested to go over for a short trip, I will call up my friends over there so they can sort of guide you on how to go about. (That's if you trust me and my friends! Hehe....)

As usual, all major cities around are bound to have pick pockets. So dun bring too much money when you go out. Small change is better. Don't bother carrying your credit card as it's only meant for major shopping malls. The price is sometimes more ex than in Singapore if you go to shopping malls to buy stuff. So stay clear from there.

Kunming people love spicy food. So be prepare if you have a weak stomach. Wild Mushroom Steamboat is a must to go but make sure is really cook or else you will see stars later as some wild mushroom is a little poisonous if not properly cook. Try to steer clear from street food as it's really dirty. Go to cafes or restaurants as it's not that ex. Don't bother about seafood as they do not really have much sea water fish or prawn.

You can ask Blurblock for more info as he just came back from Kunming 2 weeks ago.

Hi dotti,

I have the same question as nuts mentioned. You use local guide or sg agency. I'm also planning to go. Checked with Sg agency, it's about $700 for 7D6N + some internal flights tax + insurance +tips for tour guide. However, last year when I went to Jiuzaigou, there were 40+ pax :bigeyes: in the same tour, the tour guide had to rush me in every drop off point. Really no fun.

Pro Image, if fly there and hire local guide, do you have good lobang? The cost will be significantly higher or not?

Thanks.

Amigo said:
Hi dotti,

I have the same question as nuts mentioned. You use local guide or sg agency. I'm also planning to go. Checked with Sg agency, it's about $700 for 7D6N + some internal flights tax + insurance +tips for tour guide. However, last year when I went to Jiuzaigou, there were 40+ pax :bigeyes: in the same tour, the tour guide had to rush me in every drop off point. Really no fun.

Pro Image, if fly there and hire local guide, do you have good lobang? The cost will be significantly higher or not?

Thanks.

Of course lower lah! Hehe....I am going over there again on mid December but on a business trip again. You need to bargain with them. A day tour which may cost RMB500 could be bargain down to RMB300-350. That is a lot in China. Most locals tours includes at least a lunch but don't expect 5 star restaurants.

Go check their local newspaper. The best part about joining their local tours is no matter where you stay, they will have someone pick you up from where you are staying to the bus terminal. You will however need to leave your contact number of the hotel you are staying so they can find you and give you a morning call! Hehe.....

For a 3 star hotel, it cost about RMB$150-180 (SGD$25-35) a day which is quite cheap with your own private toilet.

So go Kunming. You will be surprise plenty of our own people over there enjoying the weather and playing golf!

i went with GR travels..a total of 3 or us in the tour grp..haha..something like a private tour...we have 3 different guides for the 3 different places we went...the tour guide for kunming is terrible..we were suppose to have more time to walk around places of interest..but instead he rushed us thru them in order to bring us to places where we will attend something like a talk and then will be persuaded into buying stuff..and guess who gets the commission? :nono:

dotti said:
i went with GR travels..a total of 3 or us in the tour grp..haha..something like a private tour...we have 3 different guides for the 3 different places we went...the tour guide for kunming is terrible..we were suppose to have more time to walk around places of interest..but instead he rushed us thru them in order to bring us to places where we will attend something like a talk and then will be persuaded into buying stuff..and guess who gets the commission? :nono:

Ahhh that's part of parcel of life as a Tour Guide. Tour Guides basically do not earn very much in China. Part of their income is through this commission thingy. It's very norm over there. Actually if you do not purchase any stuffs from any of the shop the tour guide brings you, they will still earn a commission but just lower. So it's to help them out. Yes we paid for the tour and you want a full day out without any hassle but I think most tours are like that.

When I was having a holiday in Japan, it's the same too. Malaysia and Thailand have their similarities. The only time if you do not want any hassle is you pay more and get a private Tour Guide which only brings you to places you requests. Hehe.....but PAY MORE! I was lucky to have my client brought me around and I made some friend ovr there. So they were willing to help me out.

Pro Image said:
Of course lower lah! !

Huh? Serious? Got some SG agencies' itineries before and thought there are at least 1-3 domestic flights in the tour. Hey guys, if next SEED you guys are free, can meet up and share your photos and experience?

Amigo said:
Huh? Serious? Got some SG agencies' itineries before and thought there are at least 1-3 domestic flights in the tour. Hey guys, if next SEED you guys are free, can meet up and share your photos and experience?

Yes there is are only 2 airlines which fly direct from Singapore which are Yunnan Airline and Silk Air. Thai Airways need to transit at Bangkok plus it's more ex.

You can meet me at my studio @ Stanley Lim Colour Centre. This is our meeting area. And the best part you can drop by anytime to visit us. We have a few working photographers who are experience in sharing their ideas with you. Whether it's about Kunming or photography, we discuss all topics.

Our address is 122 Middle Road, Midlink Plaza #02-03/04. Call us before coming down on 98583502.

Thanks!

nuts said:

What abt you Pro Image?

hehehe .... I heard my name being mentioned ;) ....

I did not book a tourguide from SG .... too expensive. I am more like a backpacking Free and Easy with a friend as a local tourguide. (Travel with locals has a lot of benefits, they know the local price better .... look at it this way, I was quoted for RMB 160 for some chess beads, which is very cheap in Singapore standard as for the same set of Chess bead, which is selling for S$250. But my friend bargained with the seller until it drop down to RMB65 :what: ... about S$10+ ... without my friend I would had bought the set at RMB160).

Being able to speak their local language helps, they will be friendlier, very much friendier, towards you.

Book a Tour guide and join their local tour there will be pretty much cheaper. I booked about 180 RMB for a 1 day tour to the stone forest, with lunch included and that is the more expensive one.

Get yourself a travelguide, choose where you like to go, then book a tour there. The tour group there is cheap and they know the place very much better.

Do not worry about unable to book a tour group there, any reputable hotel, and even small hostel has a enquiry corner there where you can ask for advice and they can help you book train tickets, book you a tour guide and so on .... worse come to worse, when you take a cab, there will virtually be namecards flying into your cab .... I do mean flying.... everywhere you go, you will see people giving out namecards for tour group or air tickets ;).

I will like to go there somewhere end of the year again .... I miss their flowers there ..... it is delicious :lovegrin: ...... I do mean delicious ..... yum yum .... saliva starting to drool already ..... hmmmm..... since pro image is going at the end of the year too ..... hehehe .... me wanna tag along :D

Status
Not open for further replies.