In Harmony With Nature - Exhibition by Julian W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperD

For nature lovers and the like-minded, just went down today to Wheelock Place to check out the photo exhibition....

pretty cool I must say...

Here's the details:

IN HARMONY WITH NATURE
An exhibition of Nature Photography by Julian W.

30Aug - 31Oct 2003
Monday to Sunday (11am - 9pm daily)
501 Orchard Road Wheelock Place #03-18/19
Admission is FREE

A few things to take note of:
1) All of his shots were taken with the Nikon D100
2) His shots were printed on the Epson 9600 Printer with different types of Epson Photo papers... kewl...
3) There's digital projection and a very nice environment to stroll thru his works...

so make it there if you can make the time! :thumbsup:

SniperD said:
For nature lovers and the like-minded, just went down today to Wheelock Place to check out the photo exhibition....

A few things to take note of:
1) All of his shots were taken with the Nikon D100

so make it there if you can make the time! :thumbsup:
I did not have a chance to speak with the photographer (Julian), but the lady "on duty" there at the time told me that only 1 is digital, the rest are drum-scanned from slides and printed on the Epson printers....

Nevertheless, impressive display!

..NuTs..

Yeah..I agree! IMHO, this exhibition showcases some of the best images in Nature and I haven't seen something quite like this on display anywhere in Singapore before.

I urge everybody to pay a visit if possible, esp. if you are happen to be around the Orchard area. It will be worth your visit.

Hi SniperD, nuts & Mike_brown,

This is Julian W. here and thanks for your kind support.

Yes, I will be changing some of the images at the last week of this month and sincerely hope to see you guys at the gallery again! Please send me an email at news@julianw.com if you would like to be notified when the gallery is updated.
Thanks.

Julian W.

can u post a few snap shots here? If you don't mind.

And will you be there most times? when is a good time to catch you there so we can see who the photographer is. :p

Hi

saw your photos today. Very nice. I like those elephants stuff. All your photos were taken in different countries?

the print was slightly grainy though for some of the large prints..
Has Epson got to do with anything?

HI Harlowmac,

Thanks for visiting the exhibition. The shots are taken all around Asia, with some of these taken at the Singapore Zoo. The elephant shots that you like are taken in Sri Lanka.

Yes, I do admit that the larger prints (eg. B0 Size) is slightly more grainer but this is due to the limitation of the 35mm film. Those big pieces are drum-scanned from 35mm slides and blown up to that size! I would say that to achieve this clarity is already an achievement...What is your opinion?

julianw said:
HI Harlowmac,

Thanks for visiting the exhibition. The shots are taken all around Asia, with some of these taken at the Singapore Zoo. The elephant shots that you like are taken in Sri Lanka.

Yes, I do admit that the larger prints (eg. B0 Size) is slightly more grainer but this is due to the limitation of the 35mm film. Those big pieces are drum-scanned from 35mm slides and blown up to that size! I would say that to achieve this clarity is already an achievement...What is your opinion?

Someone commented to me to photo retouch it a bit. haha...but I guess certain essence might be lost. But the focus area like the flowers and animals on their own are quite sharp. I guess it's actually very good since its on 35mm (it's not slides?) Did you use GF print pro to double the resolution? Even drum scan has certain limits on 35mm and most of the time I've seen are blown up using half tone process(ad posters) and not continuous inkjet printing. Inkjet tries to fill in all the little holes at high dpi printing (It assumes what to print when your resolution is not enough for it). Printing on gloss somehow will eliminate some of the graininess as they tend to blend a bit but I guess that's not the material you want.

I've tried scanning at 35 and it's lousy haha.
Which drum scan machine did you use?
Does epson has drum scan machines?

Overall tone has a more greenish cast towards the photos from what I rem. Did you color correct? But overall I think its execellent.

But if you do like to retouch, color correct, can always recommend you to some pro DI house.

once again, GREAT stuff. Look forward to your next exhibit!

HI Harlowmac,

Yes, it's on 35mm slides. No digital touch-up or software was used to interpolate the images in any way. Basically the slides were sent to a commercial colour-separation house for drum-scanning and colour correction. These are then output/scan according to B0 size. Average file size of per digital file is around 300-400mb. As for your questions, I do not know the brand of the drum-scan machine that the CS house is using and Epson does not have such a machine.

BTW, I do agree that there are limitations on 35mm and I guess this is the best that the format can carry. The printouts are slightly greenish (as you have observed), and this seems to be a Epson-related properties. The original digital files are all colour-corrected by the CS house so it is just "open and print" on the part of Epson.

I hope that answers all your queries....thanks for your kind support!

Julian W.

Status
Not open for further replies.