In forests for a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindfulness

Mar 20, 2008
Please advise on how to protect my camera gear which consists of Canon 500D, EFS 18-55mm and EF 70-300mm IS USM.

I will be travelling light with just one backpack with personal clothings and items. I will put the camera and lenses in Lowerpro camera bag.

I have the following questions:

1. Since I am not bringing in any dry box (for the reason of impracticality), I have put on the camera with the tougher HOYA HD UV filter, lens cap and a rubber hood for protection. Are there additional protection measures to take?

2. As the environment will be in the wild forests of Northern Thailand, and October is a raining season there, otherwise I will be sheltered in a small hut inside the forests, do I need any extra camera accessories?

3. Should I bring a monopod or a gorilla slr-zoom?

Thanks in advance for any advise given. Again be kind and if you find my questions above been asked before, please do not flame me or pass unwholesome remarks.

Last edited:
I think the biggest threat is Rain. Is your Lowepro bag rain proof (AW)? If not, it makes sense to buy a raincover or bring some big tough garbage bags in case the rain comes. I bought a raincover for my Lowepro Fastpack 250 @ that hiking backpack store in Parkway parade. The cover cost $12 and will fold and store into itself as a small pouch. Very worth it. It already saved my gear once from the rain. I also have another AW Lowepro bag, which saved me another time from a sudden heavy downpour.

If you want to shoot in the rain, you should look into rain-covers for cameras. They look like the ones shown here: http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html

Other than that, all you have done is more than enough. Just watch out and be careful out in the jungle. Bring a small simple first aid kit, your standard tools like knife, parang etc...

And if you intend to shoot sunset, sunrise or in dark situations, it is better to bring a tripod. A cheapo light one will do if you are concerned about damage or weight.

I think the biggest threat is Rain. Is your Lowepro bag rain proof (AW)? If not, it makes sense to buy a raincover or bring some big tough garbage bags in case the rain comes. I bought a raincover for my Lowepro Fastpack 250 @ that hiking backpack store in Parkway parade. The cover cost $12 and will fold and store into itself as a small pouch. Very worth it. It already saved my gear once from the rain. I also have another AW Lowepro bag, which saved me another time from a sudden heavy downpour.

If you want to shoot in the rain, you should look into rain-covers for cameras. They look like the ones shown here: http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html

Other than that, all you have done is more than enough. Just watch out and be careful out in the jungle. Bring a small simple first aid kit, your standard tools like knife, parang etc...

And if you intend to shoot sunset, sunrise or in dark situations, it is better to bring a tripod. A cheapo light one will do if you are concerned about damage or weight.

Thanks for the many good tips! yes I will heed your advise to get the raincover for the camera. Does CP or Lords or OP sell it? How does it work? I just put my camera gear with lens attached and the other lens inside it when raining?

I don't think my current lowerpro bag is rain-proof as it has zips that can allow water to seep in.

haha, dun think will bring parangs etc as basically I will be inside a kuti or meditation hut which is about 4 feet above ground in the forests. will bring basic first aid kit and mozzie repellents ... of couse I can wander around in the forests but will do so in the daylight only :)

Last edited:
I agree with daredevil123 regarding the rain there. As your lenses and bodies are not weather sealed, my reccomendation is that get black garbage bags and wrap aroung your camera and lens, only exposing the front element. this will more or less allow you to shoot while there is a light drizzle. Also dont under estimate the power of an umbrella. Although it might sound stupid to go trekking with an umbrella, but its really useful; in saving you and your equipment that is.

As for my bag, for longer trips I usually put a bag of sillica gel in my bag as a common practice. Works as a dry box as well of I decide to keep the cameras at the hotel for whatever reason.

The issue of using gorrilla pod - based on my personal experiences, they dont really work well with trees as its difficult for them to fnd a grip. however, if you are accustomed to it, it is really great as sometimes it can get really great angles that usually cant get where you deploy your tripod or shoot handheld.

I agree with daredevil123 regarding the rain there. As your lenses and bodies are not weather sealed, my reccomendation is that get black garbage bags and wrap aroung your camera and lens, only exposing the front element. this will more or less allow you to shoot while there is a light drizzle. Also dont under estimate the power of an umbrella. Although it might sound stupid to go trekking with an umbrella, but its really useful; in saving you and your equipment that is.

As for my bag, for longer trips I usually put a bag of sillica gel in my bag as a common practice. Works as a dry box as well of I decide to keep the cameras at the hotel for whatever reason.

The issue of using gorrilla pod - based on my personal experiences, they dont really work well with trees as its difficult for them to fnd a grip. however, if you are accustomed to it, it is really great as sometimes it can get really great angles that usually cant get where you deploy your tripod or shoot handheld.

thanks for the good tips! haha the airport guys will be wondering why I carry garbage bags :)

coming to the silica gel, I only saw those in bottle forms. If I get the silica packets and put them inside my lowerpro bag which is not airtight, will it be effective?

I am thinking a monopod or a gorilla pod, a monopod may be handy in times of facing some wild animals, hopefully not tigers (still there are in udonthani forests in thailand) ;)

Rain cover, poncho, and ziploc bags for all your equipments.

Have fun and please post your photos when you're back :D

Rain cover, poncho, and ziploc bags for all your equipments.

Have fun and please post your photos when you're back :D

thanks! will post them when I am back :)

THere are many different kinds,

Basically the camera and most of the lens will be inside a cover or bag.

See some other pics here:
http://www.mpex.com/prodimg/git1004.jpg
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/images/rain-cover-for-digital-slr-lrg.jpg
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/42000095/Images/14/RainSleeve+TM_by_Optech_500.jpg

I think cathay sells many kinds. I remember seeing the op/tech one there.

For raincover for backpacks or bags, you can just get them at a hiking bag/equipment store. A lot cheaper. I got mine at Parkway Parade, I think the store name is Sports Connection. They specialize in hiking and camping equipment.

Last edited:
don't forget the maximum size Ziplock bag as well... i cut one corner to fit into the lens hood... use gaffer tape to tape it up... and ziplock bags are transparent... so you could still see through the viewfinder (not very clear really...)... and also review the photos taken (i read histogram only cos it's a bit blur to see through the ziplock bag)...

cost: some 8 bucks for 10 pieces... hope this helps...

THere are many different kinds,

Basically the camera and most of the lens will be inside a cover or bag.

See some other pics here:
http://www.mpex.com/prodimg/git1004.jpg
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/images/rain-cover-for-digital-slr-lrg.jpg
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/42000095/Images/14/RainSleeve+TM_by_Optech_500.jpg

I think cathay sells many kinds. I remember seeing the op/tech one there.

For raincover for backpacks or bags, you can just get them at a hiking bag/equipment store. A lot cheaper. I got mine at Parkway Parade, I think the store name is Sports Connection. They specialize in hiking and camping equipment.

thanks din know many versions of raincover. I think this is more suitable for me:

It does help when you zip your bag up and leave it in the hotel for a few days. The silica gels that comes in bags are available in home-fix. i get it from there.

Last edited:
don't forget the maximum size Ziplock bag as well... i cut one corner to fit into the lens hood... use gaffer tape to tape it up... and ziplock bags are transparent... so you could still see through the viewfinder (not very clear really...)... and also review the photos taken (i read histogram only cos it's a bit blur to see through the ziplock bag)...

cost: some 8 bucks for 10 pieces... hope this helps...

thanks! I think ziplock is best for the spare lens while the camera n lens will be in raincover

Self-fix or giant has sillca gel in a bag for photographic equipment; well i assume because the bag has a print of a camera. You can go check them out. I personally get them from self-fix.

thanks! But will they be effective if I put some in my camera bag which is not air tight to begin with - as good as in the open air?

If using in the rain/wet conditions, a rain cover will be good. Wipe down the camera at the end of the day with a cloth. A tupperware can be useful to store the camera and keep inside bag during transportation.

The silica gel might not be necessary if you intend to use your camera extensively throughout the trip.

If using in the rain/wet conditions, a rain cover will be good. Wipe down the camera at the end of the day with a cloth. A tupperware can be useful to store the camera and keep inside bag during transportation.

The silica gel might not be necessary if you intend to use your camera extensively throughout the trip.

thanks! I will be using it extensively .. but I think at overnight, will put them in ziplock with silica gel. .. we are not staying in hotels for the nights but in small wooden simple huts in the middle of forests where communications like sms dun work

Last edited:
thanks! I will be using it extensively .. but I think at overnight, will put them in ziplock with silica gel. .. we are not staying in hotels for the nights but in small wooden simple huts in the middle of forests where communications like sms dun work

Its just a week, silica gels are really not necessary, more so since you will be using the camera extensively, pack light and don't over worry about the equipment during storage. Anyway, its your call.:)

Its just a week, silica gels are really not necessary, more so since you will be using the camera extensively, pack light and don't over worry about the equipment during storage. Anyway, its your call.:)

thanks bro, I do pack light, in fact I am carrying just one small bag for personal items and my cam gear in another .. after all in the forests, but will bring a few ziplocks and packets of gels just in case :)

thanks din know many versions of raincover. I think this is more suitable for me:

Yup. That's the OP/Tech. Cathay photo is the agent for Optech. Give them a call ask if they carry it. I seen it there before, but it was a while back.

By the way, the ziplock bag DIY raincover mentioned by jaRv1s is an awesome idea. Cheap and good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.