In a Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaku70

Mar 16, 2005
Hi All,

I will be travelling in a month's time and need to get a camera soon.

My choice is between Canon S5is and Panasonic FZ18. I have viewed the both the camera and different salesperson gave different advices.

Usage will be:

Taking photo while on the coach, train.
Portrait photo
Sports photo
Group shots
Night shots
and some videos
Likely to develop a few 8R prints.

Kindly advice which camera is more suitable for me.

both are equally good. But canon has the edge in nightshots, of course, salesperson knows nuts and gives you craps. They sit behind the counter, instead of shooting, what do u think.

For night shots, you may also want to get a simple but sturdy tripod, regardless of camera. It really does wonders.

I did consider tripod but will be cumbersome if I am travelling. Any tripod to consider for Fz18 or S5is?

For night shots, you may also want to get a simple but sturdy tripod, regardless of camera. It really does wonders.

Last edited:
if u really don't wanna bring a tripod around, try a beanbag so u can rest the camera on the bag and press it against a non moving object like a railing or wall or watever.

it won't be as good as a tripod but much better than hand held.

also, there is a product i think, called "gorillapod" that is light and flexible and can be used for multiple applications. do a search. it's not cheap tho.

s5 is using AA batteries right?
i will go for that , i remember fz battery is quite expensive

AA batteries are good, if you travel a lot. Practically, you can purchase AA batts from any place in this world.

Tripods are not really bulky and heavy, especially for those that are suited for pns cams. About the length of a 1.5L bottle, surely less than 1kg, and diameter will be like ur arm.

Just do note that if you don't have a tripod with you, you won't be able to execute those nice long exposure shots, particularly of a bustling night scene etc...

Of course, if you are resourceful enough, you can use a beanbag and place both the camera and bean bag on a stable object for use.

And sometimes, a bit of luck helps too...if the support objects are in the right places: These were taken using an overhead bridge's railing for support.

cd22b1c2a790370a94c717bcdd255f83.jpg

e7ef36b17dd682ee554dc07cdc589eae.jpg

All these images were shot on a Peleng 8mm Circular Fisheye on a 1DII.

Went to a few shops already. Seems like many recommended PZ-18 to S5IS. Understand that PZ-18 has higher IQ than S5. Any expert can confirm this point. Is the fringing very bad for S5 compare to PZ-18.

Go to the usual shops recommended in CS. try the cams out. Buy the one that suits your purpose. I will go for the Canon S5IS. I used to own the S2IS ;)

I find it hard to believe that most would recommend the Panasonic. High ISO performance is hardly close to Canon's

Which shops have you been visiting?

Camera wise you would have to handle them in a shop to determine how the interface and layout suit you. And remember to bring your camera out for some weekend shoots before your trip. Its important to test your equipment before any trip.

I second Joho's recommendation of gorillapod
Cathay Photo carries them so do check them out

if your camera does use AAs get rechargeables like the Sanyo Eneloops and/or Powerex Imedion. They are better at holding charges even though they have lower Mah. Environmentally friendly and you can reuse the batteries for your remote controls when you get back.

Finally try to buy or borrow extra storage. You will not want your shooting to be restricted by shortage of storage.

Have fun

Hi All,

I will be travelling in a month's time and need to get a camera soon.

My choice is between Canon S5is and Panasonic FZ18. I have viewed the both the camera and different salesperson gave different advices.

Usage will be:

Taking photo while on the coach, train.
Portrait photo
Sports photo
Group shots
Night shots
and some videos
Likely to develop a few 8R prints.

Kindly advice which camera is more suitable for me.

If it's mainly used for travelling, get 1 that has AA batteries. If not, get the one with better IQ.

Any can advise Panasonic FZ28 against S5IS?

Status
Not open for further replies.