Improving raw image contrast before and during PP?

slim86

Aug 2, 2011
singapore
Hi guys,

I wouLd like to get some opinions on how to improve contrast for a hazy afternoon shoot.
I would like to know other than adjusting contrast setting from camera and tweeking tone curve during PP, any other alternatives? Main focus is about hazy afternoon shoot/image.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi guys,

I wouLd like to get some opinions on how to improve contrast for a hazy afternoon shoot.
I would like to know other than adjusting contrast setting from camera and tweeking tone curve during PP, any other alternatives? Main focus is about hazy afternoon shoot/image.

Thanks for sharing.
come back when there is good light.

yes, I will do that,
I find it is wasting my time to work on the images which capture it at the wrong light.
unless the lighting condition is my main subject of the photos.

your camera isn't a magic tool as it depends on the light condition to capture good photos and PP is not a solution to every thing as it can only enhance your photos further only.

Hi catchlight,

Let say if u have a fixed appointment with your client on the day itself, how would u tackle the situation? Thanks a lot for the advise

Hi catchlight,

Let say if u have a fixed appointment with your client on the day itself, how would u tackle the situation? Thanks a lot for the advise
if it is taking photos of the buildings or anything is involve with outdoor, I always tell them the outcome is subject to the weather condition before confirming a date, one the day itself, they will decide to accept the result at is or rearrange another day if the weather is not ideal.

and also you need to recce the place in advance to know the best time of the day for the angle you intent to shoot.

if the client says photoshop can fix, I tell them find a photographer able to fix everything with photoshop to take this assignment.

if it is taking photos of the buildings or anything is involve with outdoor, I always tell them the outcome is subject to the weather condition before confirming a date, one the day itself, they will decide to accept the result at is or rearrange another day if the weather is not ideal.

and also you need to recce the place in advance to know the best time of the day for the angle you intent to shoot.

if the client says photoshop can fix, I tell them find a photographer able to fix everything with photoshop to take this assignment.

Okay noted. To be more specific it is actually an outdoor portraiture. I will try to re-arrange date whenever possible. So secondly try to change location to indoor if the client accept it. And the last if die die must shoot in the day itself and mentioned place then no choice, try our best to cover it in PP

RAW is RAW, the camera does not do anything to it (otherwise it would defeat the purpose of shooting RAW). What you see on camera screen is a small jpg preview based on the image presets in your camera. But the RAW remains unchanged and you can try at home whatever you want using your favourite tools.

I really like this reply :thumbsup:

try using Circular Polarising Filter. even the cheap ones will cut through haze like a sword.

Ah , Post production, you can try duplicating layer and setting the top layer to "Overlay" (i am using GIMP - not sure what PS equivalent is) .