Improving Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sphoenix

Hey guys after the water drop "challenge" brought up by ckiang and simon, i realised that the macro performance of my oly camera is about average in terms of distance to subject. Oly specs puts it at 20cm. This will mean that I'll be too far away from the water droplet. So my questions then are:

How close did you guys get to the water droplet? 6 cm for the g2? what about the nikon coolpix?

What was the zoom? Full wide, full tele or somewhere in between...

With close up filters will I be able to get the shot of the water droplet? What +? will I need? +4? is it better to buy in a set or will it suffice to buy just a +4? heard that it's about $15

Originally posted by Sphoenix
Hey guys after the water drop "challenge" brought up by ckiang and simon, i realised that the macro performance of my oly camera is about average in terms of distance to subject. Oly specs puts it at 20cm. This will mean that I'll be too far away from the water droplet. So my questions then are:

How close did you guys get to the water droplet? 6 cm for the g2? what about the nikon coolpix?

What was the zoom? Full wide, full tele or somewhere in between...

With close up filters will I be able to get the shot of the water droplet? What +? will I need? +4? is it better to buy in a set or will it suffice to buy just a +4? heard that it's about $15

The Coolpix 9xx can go up to about 2cm. Of course, for that shot, this is still not enough magnification. Forgot to mention that it was cropped. :D

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

The Coolpix 9xx can go up to about 2cm. Of course, for that shot, this is still not enough magnification. Forgot to mention that it was cropped. :D

Regards
CK

Thanks for the reply. Wow 2cm !!! Hmm with some tricks I can get the oly to autofocus to about maybe 6 cm a great improvement over the original specs still not good enough for the water drop then??

Say so will a closeup filter help? +4?

I have a question. :)

Is there a great difference btw using a hoya and a B+W +4 close up filter, besides the price difference? (clouseup filter = magnifiying glass right? :))

Also, any other method to take good macros (without changing lenses/cams)?

I am using a sony F707. :)

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Wow 2cm !!! Hmm with some tricks I can get the oly to autofocus to about maybe 6 cm a great improvement over the original specs still not good enough for the water drop then??

How you do the trick? Is it the zoom out bit by bit 4 times trick?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Zoomer
Also, any other method to take good macros (without changing lenses/cams)?

I am using a sony F707. :)

Thanks.

Join megaweb on one of those trips to Botanical Garden. Sure can improve your macro skills. ;)

Originally posted by Blitz

How you do the trick? Is it the zoom out bit by bit 4 times trick?

Thanks!

Well your description is not quite accurate but accurate enough for me to believe that you know the trick I'm refering to :D

Well your description is not quite accurate but accurate enough for me to believe that you know the trick I'm refering to :D

Heh heh pai seh ah :D

Anyway u manage to get it to work? I can't though but sometimes all of a sudden I can close in smaller than 20 cm and the cam can focus :( My cam is C2040Z

What did u roughly do ah, can teach me? :)

Thanks!

Originally posted by azone

Join megaweb on one of those trips to Botanical Garden. Sure can improve your macro skills. ;)

Okie lor. See when lor. :D

I have not used them, but I think they should help in getting the magnification you want. They are a cheap way to get into macro photography.

Regards
CK

A sample of using +4 Hoya filter.

plant.jpg

Originally posted by megaweb
join me ..... I will show you how ...

The King has spoken ;p

Anyway, for the C2040, the close-up filter will allow you to focus closer under macro mode.

Originally posted by Blitz

Heh heh pai seh ah :D

Anyway u manage to get it to work? I can't though but sometimes all of a sudden I can close in smaller than 20 cm and the cam can focus :( My cam is C2040Z

What did u roughly do ah, can teach me? :)

Thanks!

Ok roughly teach sure...lazy to type a lot yah... :D

- position camera about 6 cm away from subject. full tele into subject.
- camera should have lcd, af & macro mode on. btw noticed that i've greater success with flash set to auto. haven't verified whether this is truly necessary yet.
- then "zoom" the camera back wide a little at a time, allowing the auto focus to do its stuff. you can move the camera a little forwards/backwards to aid in focussing.
- somewhere perhaps after the third "zoom" back wide the auto focus will suddenly be able to focus and bring the subject clearly into view.

HTH

Originally posted by mpenza

The King has spoken ;p

Anyway, for the C2040, the close-up filter will allow you to focus closer under macro mode.

Wondering how much closer. Oly specs puts macro mode at 20cm so with a +4 filter how close can I get?

Would love to join you guys on a photo outing. Must be more in sync. thus far busy.

cheers

Success at last. See my new avatar...:gbounce: :rbounce:

+4 close-up filter is one or 4 filters combine together? :embrass:

Did it again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.