LR Tips Improve Your Talent for "Eyeballing It"

RSSNewsRobot

Sep 27, 2006
Authors:
Erica Gamet

Body:
I'm kind of a stickler for neat and tidy layout; blame it on my printing background, I guess. I try not to be too harsh with those designers that insist on eyeballing everything. I welcomed InDesign's Smart Guides with open arms because I could, at last, join the freewheeling eyeballing group and STILL have my tidy layout.
If you're in the group that prefers to rely on your visual accuracy, you might want to test how fine those skills really are using the Eyeballing Game. This addictive online test quizzes you on finding the midpoint of a center, bisecting an angle, making perfect parallelograms and right angles, pinpointing the convergence of three points, and finding the exact center of a circle—something I can't seem to master to save my life.

Each attempt is scored on accuracy and time to complete the task. The game keeps track of the best of the last 500 scores across the web and the best scores on your local machine. Interestingly, I was recently playing the Eyeballing Game with just one eye open (due to a particularly bad allergy attack) and somehow I racked up some of my best scores. I now intend to do all my freeform layout with an eye patch!

Inserted Article Image(s):
EyeballGame-2.jpeg

EyeballGame-4.jpeg

Article Slider image:
EyeballGame-HDR.png

[h=2]Liked This? Read These![/h]
[h=3]New iPhone Game for Print Designers[/h]

Formation Alliance, the maker of the type-nerd iPhone game KERN, has released a new addition to its Games for Creatives series: PRESS CHECK. Read More
[h=3]Rag Time Is Perfect Game for Picky Typographers[/h]

Fathom, an information design company, has created a game called Rag Time. With the synthesized music of classic computer games as your soundtrack, you race against time to fix the rags of four... Read More
[h=3]Smart Layout Now CS4-Compatible[/h]

Any design team working with columns of text and images, and interested in saving time in their creative workflows based on Adobe InDesign, would benefit greatly by using WoodWing’s Smart Layout CS4... Read More
[h=3]Board Game for Type Designers[/h]

Behance designer Lukasz KuIakowski combined his love of board games with his love of typography. Read More

Graphics
Graphics Image Editing
Illustration
Photography
Photo Image Editing
Print Design & Layout
Type Design
Web Design & Layout

More...