Impressive digital shots!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charvy

Jan 27, 2002
SG
www.urbanpixel.net
Not sure which forum that I should put this thread so moderators if you find it inappropriate pls move it to the correct one. thanks. :)

Back to my topic. This link http://www.digitalsilverhalide.com was passed to me by my colleague - pictures were all taken by her cousin. It contains impressive black and white shots/ and selectively colored bit shots. His equipments are nothing fanciful but all the images were taken artistically very well. Of course knowledge in photoshop helps too. ;)

Was really blown away by the pictures in it. Do take a look and well wadaya all reckon?

p.s. i'm not promoting the site or whatsoever, just sharing good stuffs with fellow members. ;)

Well, the pictures aren't bad, just avg.

But using colour to emphasize the subject can be considered cheating (by some people)....

If you do study carefully, its a form of abstract art those pictures... not many people can grasp it pretty well.. The angle, the lighting, the objects, and the placement. IMHO a very good sense of observation of the surroundings.. well for once I know I can't take such pictures.. :p btw, if you view those pictures in a LCD screen, there's a vast difference viewing from a normal monitor.

"But using colour to emphasize the subject can be considered cheating (by some people)...." ... photography or photo editing is also another form of art, it depends on how you comprehend/judge it, not ncessarily consider cheating due to some artistic stroke (hey, it requires some skills too wor in editing!) ;) Then again, its my POV.

Anyway, I'm not in for some flaming war, just expressing my views and also sharing another form of picture taking with others. :) But I do admit everyone sees things differently.

Just to add, b&w pictures are difficult to take - it needs the right amount of "black" and "white" shades for the image to stand out. > then again I may be wrong.. experts?

P.S: I have to stress again, I'm not promoting the site.

Originally posted by charvy
If you do study carefully, its a form of abstract art those pictures... not many people can grasp it pretty well.. The angle, the lighting, the objects, and the placement. IMHO a very good sense of observation of the surroundings.. well for once I know I can't take such pictures.. :p btw, if you view those pictures in a LCD screen, there's a vast difference viewing from a normal monitor.

"But using colour to emphasize the subject can be considered cheating (by some people)...." ... photography or photo editing is also another form of art, it depends on how you comprehend/judge it, not ncessarily consider cheating due to some artistic stroke (hey, it requires some skills too wor in editing!) ;) Then again, its my POV.

Anyway, I'm not in for some flaming war, just expressing my views and also sharing another form of picture taking with others. :) But I do admit everyone sees things differently.

Just to add, b&w pictures are difficult to take - it needs the right amount of "black" and "white" shades for the image to stand out. > then again I may be wrong.. experts?

P.S: I have to stress again, I'm not promoting the site.

Okay, technical time ;)

The B/W shots as B/W shots are pretty average, a standard for a uni student or mid level advanced amateur and that's about it. One must however remember that these shots were taken in colour and then converted to B/W via software so it's not genuine B/W photography to start with.

The site owner has done nothing really new either, the reverse of this technique, or the pre digital version if you like was to take the shot in B/W and then colour areas, a technique that goes back to at least 1910 and probably earlier. Later forms of the original technique involved airbrushing and the use of more modern toning and colouring agents on the B/W print.

Doing it digitally however is a doddle and takes but a few minutes to achieve using photoshop or other quality editing software.

However, the images have a nice feel to them, but it's really re-inventing the wheel in photographic terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.