Impressions on the K100D

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
OK..After I got my K100D, I was so excited I started assembling the various parts in the MRT and Airport!
First thing I did when I reached home is to update the firmware from Ver 1.00 to Ver 1.01 .

BTW, my subject titleI did not say "review" because I am quite useless in checking things like distortion, etc.
So here is a layman feedback instead. I will compare this with my istDL.
Although they look similar, the K100D is actually larger and heavier.
The hand grip is bigger which would be good news to people with big hands but I personally prefer the smaller form like the DL but I guess those extra electronics and stablisation mechanism has to go somewhere. I just do not like the extra weight...that's one of the considerations why I dropped the D50 and 350D as contenders.

The SD card cover no longer has a button to push to flip it open. Now you have to use your thumb to slide it out by friction before flipping it back..a step backward in my opinion.
All the controls are as per the DL except for the extra anti-shake button and extra "scene" function on the mode dial. Actually the reason why I upgraded to the K100D is due to the
stabilisation but maybe I do not know how to check it but I see no difference between 2 images taken at max zoom with IS on and off. How do you check it is 2 stops better?

On focussing speed, the K100D is fast! Very obvious it is faster than the DL. But because its fast, when you are at the wrong focus length, the lens tend to hit its limit quite hard.
For continuous shot, it is also faster but for my case, limited to a short burst of 3 shots before you notice the 4th shot has slowed down.

As for the eyepiece hood, the DL has a large one (not sure if it was because the DL's previous owner added it as third party part) whereas the K100D has the standard one.

Those who have owned the K100D longer than me, do share your experiences also. Hope to get more "technical" reports.
You know its strange this camera has been out 3 months and so far only DC Resource has a review in progress. In fact, all current attention seems to be on Sony!

Cheers

Went to the Show too yesterday. Tried Canon 400D, Nikon D80, and of course our Pentax K100D. Overall I like the K100D the best. The Nikon D80 is a very nice camera, but it's too big and chunky comparing with the Pentax, and I always like smaller ones. The Caon 400D is just as plastic as the 350D is. Don't see much difference except the 2 more mp and anti dust. Well dust has never been a problem to me in the past 2 years since I upgrade to dSLR.

The Pentax salesmen are the friendliest among all these brands too. I tried the K100D camera w/ the kit lens, the 10-17FE (a really cool lens btw), and the DA14/2.8. The camera obviously focuses abit faster than my Ds. Best of all, the SR really works.

Here are some quick snaps I took w/ or w/o SR:

DA18-55 @ 55mm, F5.6, 1/8s, ISO200, jpg center 100% crop:
w/ SR:
IMGP0049_crop.jpg

w/o SR:
IMGP0050_crop.jpg

DA18-55 @ 55mm, F6.7, 1/3s, ISO200, jpg center 100% crop:
w/ SR:
IMGP0059_crop.jpg

w/o SR:
IMGP0060_crop.jpg

I might get one of those SR camera really soon.

And big plause to our Pentax girls (they are the sexiest ones in the show):

IMGP2483_small.jpg

This one was taken by my aging Ds+77LE w/flash.

Go grab one of those K100d if you want an excellent entry level dSLE camera.

Hi Fengwei, among the 3 new DSLRs, which would you say has the fastest AF ........ :)

Zenten said:
Hi Fengwei, among the 3 new DSLRs, which would you say has the fastest AF ........ :)

The Canon for sure, Pentax K100D wasn't far behind. But the nikon only got a slow 18-135/3.5-5.6 kit lens on, so ... But the Canon kit lens is just a junk :bsmilie: Most of all, the K100D focused spot on each and every time. That's an impressive improvement over the Ds imo.

Final_depth said:
i tried the k100D..yesterday
at the fair..
not really impressed it with..
found it quite stiff... :(

Hmm, then choose the Nikon D80 lah :D A great camera indeed. I'd buy that one if I didn't have Pentax, or if I had the cash to burn ;)

ya.. Nikon D80..is a great camera
but . :( then my lens..is all canon..
maybe.. i should get the canon 30D
instead hehehexx :)

fengwei said:
Hmm, then choose the Nikon D80 lah :D A great camera indeed. I'd buy that one if I didn't have Pentax, or if I had the cash to burn ;)

Does the Nikon D80 feel as heavy or as big as the Nikon D70? I feel awkward holding the Nikon D70 - okay, I've got small hands. :embrass:

tried it at the booth today. not a bad camera and price wise .. not that bad! seems like a good buy.. however, hard to find lens right ? :(

Final_depth said:
ya.. Nikon D80..is a great camera
but . :( then my lens..is all canon..
maybe.. i should get the canon 30D
instead hehehexx :)

hey, i'm looking for canon lenses....let me know if u are making the switch to D80 ;)

zoomzoomzoom said:
Does the Nikon D80 feel as heavy or as big as the Nikon D70? I feel awkward holding the Nikon D70 - okay, I've got small hands. :embrass:

I think it's about the same, might be a little bit smaller and lighter. You may check out Nikon forum and see all the positive feedbacks there ;) A great camera afterall...

HydroPoP said:
they are giving the epson photo printer free with the K100D today as well. ;)

a friend just bought the K100D at COMEX today at S$1,220.00 free printer + 1GB SD + camera bag.

HydroPoP said:
they are giving the epson photo printer free with the K100D today as well. ;)

Just as I thought! Luckily I demanded they put me through a time machine and give me the printer on the first day..heh heh...

zoomzoomzoom said:

D80 is definately smaller than D70.

I'm a Minolta user. But I have to say the pentax had a fast auto focus. I was pretty impress with it. If I ever switch it may be a Pentax.

Same here.. If one day I switch system, it most prob be Pentax..:) :thumbsup:

smtan24 said:
I'm a Minolta user. But I have to say the pentax had a fast auto focus. I was pretty impress with it. If I ever switch it may be a Pentax.

Status
Not open for further replies.