impression Mach2 Photo Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDer

Feb 17, 2002
Digital Age
www.pbase.com
has anyone had this or tried it before?

its a USB2.0 2.5" harddisk storage casing with a photo bank added feature. from the outside, it looks like a smooth compact aluminium USB 2.5" hdd casing, but one 1 side, it has a few LED indicators ( 'On', 'Err', 'Copy'..etc) and a 'Copy' push button, that let user transfer photos from digital cameras, usb card reader, etc into the photo bank. its a so-called 2-in-1 device. it can worked as a mobile hdd too.
1 feature that its really different from other photo bank its the external power supply. it runs on 4 x AA batteries with a extra battery holder that is provided. so user can exchange the batteries which is readily avaliable.
found it selling in 1 of the shops in SimLim at a price of $160 (without the harddisk.)

just wondering if its a good buy...anyone?

bro, which shop?
need one like that.
will buy, test n let u u know results.

:)

http://www.micro-g.com/
found a pic about this product.

im going overseas soon and hope to get a similar product soon. becasue scare run our of memory. but just dun know how this product stand up to other photo bank products like compactdrive, x-drive pro...etc. i like this because of its external batteris feature.

the shop where i saw this product is at
'M Technic Resources Pte Ltd'
#05-55, SimLim Square

anyway, i do not know the service,reliability or after-sales of this shop either..
i just walked past the shop and saw the thing, and the 'ah-beng' explain to me the good points of this product. so to play safe, i come to forum and see if anyone got more opinions of this product.

anyway, when i saw the back of the box, there is a slip of paper that is stick to it that explains all the digital cameras model that is compatible with this photo bank, including popular models like the Canon 300D and Nikon D70. the box is white and green in colour.

Wouldn't a pd7x more worth it? It can read direct from CF though its slightly
larger. Just a suggestion

But this 1 seems more frendly for travellers...
Small size, connects to camera directly, no need for card slots...
Can download when you're on the road or air, or in dreamland...
The battery pack can be detached too... making it even smaller...
Not bad at 1st look...

The pd7x is just too big.

It's also the reason wht I sold my X-drive... too big. looking for something modular.

AReality said:
But this 1 seems more frendly for travellers...
Small size, connects to camera directly, no need for card slots...
Can download when you're on the road or air, or in dreamland...
The battery pack can be detached too... making it even smaller...
Not bad at 1st look...

The pd7x is just too big.

It's also the reason wht I sold my X-drive... too big. looking for something modular.

ya..i think that most photo banks are quite BIG...until i saw this which is the same size as those normal ultra-slim USB2.0 2.5" aluminium hdd casing. i saw in the box they actually provide a 'leather' casing to carry the drive too.

just wondering if this 'unknown' brand can take off or not...

AMDer said:
and is this truE?

http://www.compactdrive.net/

they discontinue the sales of compactdrive pd7x?

see this rebuttal

It has come to our attention that several websites that claim to be the distributors of CompactDrive have stated to have “discontinued the supply of CompactDrive PD7X” due to “high failure rate”

The statements can be seen at:

www.compactdrive.net
www.compactdrive.info
www.compactdrive.us
www.compactdrive.jp
www.compactdrive.co.nz
www.compactdrive.co.uk
www.compactdrive.com.tw

We wish to state for the record that ALL of the above domain names and websites are owned by one single entity, the former New Zealand Distributor for CompactDrive PD7X which goes under the trading name of CompactDrive International Co. Ltd / Top International Limited / Heard Park Group of Companies (here from referred to as Heard Park)

i bought it and brought it to my Vietnam holiday for a test run.

it works very well! actually it has a intelligent program inside. it actually creates a new folder/directory whenever a new connection is made.
For example, i brought my D70 along. my gf brought a Sony P&S. so did her friend a Sony. so its 2 Sony, 1 Nikon. but i transfer our pics all into the Mach2 Photo Bank. and upon my arrival back at home. it shows all the different connections on a seperate folder, so you dun have to worry it will overwrites the same photo of the same name be it from the same camera or different camera!

the battery performace was good, especially with 4 x Sanyo 2500mHa rechargable batteries. i manage to copy 3.5GB using 1 charge of the batt.

i think this is a good Photo Bank and will recommend it to everyone in CS. Cheers!

U mean u managed to transfer only 3.5GB then the battery goes flat?
How long did it take to transfer?

actually a total of 12 times ( it create a total of 12 folders )= 3.5GB.
i did not time the transfer of the pics from the camera to the data bank, i just leave it transfering when i return to hotel at night.

i feel the battery is ok, because

1) this thing runs on 4 x AA batteries. and its readily avabliable even if all your rechargables are flat at the last min. u can buy at the nearest shop when u are travelling.

2) its not a continuous transfer of 3.5GB. i actually transfer 12 times totalling 3.5GB. if im not wrongm it actually takes more battery power to start the hdd spinning from stationary.

maybe there are better products out there which can last much longer...i dun know..the above are just mainly my own views.

and i remeber once i transferring half way when i shows red light blinking indicating low battery. so in order to play safe, i press the 'copy' button twice to stop the trasferring process to change new batteries.

when i reach home, i found out that the photo bank actually re-create another folder and copy the photos from the camera 1 more time in order to play safe. i find this automatic feature quite useful too.

Hi... I am also in need of a product like this... thanks for helping us find out so much more about the product. But I would just like to bring up a point... dunno whether this sounds stupid... but if AMDer was using the thing only when he is back in the hotel room...( I would agree that most of us have even memory on CF / storage cards to last you through at least 1 day )... wouldn't it make sense to try and see if the plug for the battery pack can also fit a universal adapter? think that that way, can use for much longer period without fear of running low on batt... Called up the shop in Sim lim just now and asked him that... he couldn't really give me an answer though... but I feel that it should be able to work... just use the adapters for the 2.5" HDD that we can get from shops in sim lim... since it's just a 2.5" HDD with a "additional function" yup... that's my 2 cents worth... can someone try at home and post? thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.