impression Mach2 Photo Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
leeter said:
one more question here. the USB supplied is the normal kind? meaning it only uses the USB power without any other type of power input ?

The type of hdd used does it matter ? Coz the site said that it works better with 4200rpm hdd, Will 5400rpm hdd be any problem to the casing?

Using it for a normal portable hdd, it uses USB power from the pc/laptop.
Using it for a on-the-go storage, it uses 4AA batteries or 5V 1A AC adaptor.

4200rpm hdd consume less power, meaning longer usage, more transfer.
5400rpm hdd can also be used too.

AReality said:
Will it work if I use a 7V 1.3A adaptor?

today i went to a hardware shop.. asked an uncle regarding this..
he said that its better to use EXACT voltage cos too low not enough, too high might damage device..
As for current, its okie to get adaptor tat supports more... so if you adaptor is 5V 2A, can work.
therefore, for your case, i dun think its advisable... i purchased my adaptor for $18 dollars (5V 2A AC adaptor). Tried it with the photobank, and it works perfectly!
hope tat helps :)

deardeer said:
Eh.. I'm not sure about your case lei. When I first bought the hdd, I also couldn't see it in "my_computer". I gotta partition it in FAT32 and format it all using partition magic.
Well its format low and high -fat32 format..... sigh guess that brand of ext hd casing is not to be touched - VIPower.

deardeer said:
today i went to a hardware shop.. asked an uncle regarding this..
he said that its better to use EXACT voltage cos too low not enough, too high might damage device..
As for current, its okie to get adaptor tat supports more... so if you adaptor is 5V 2A, can work.
therefore, for your case, i dun think its advisable... i purchased my adaptor for $18 dollars (5V 2A AC adaptor). Tried it with the photobank, and it works perfectly!
hope tat helps :)

actully is better to buy higher capacity ie A value since most of the units are over rated ie 2A may actually be 1.2A Also good to check that at 5v is the output 5v and not 6.5 or 7V had one which 6V was outputing 8.5V.

One way to see if it over voltage without a test meter is look at the glow of the led is with the AC adaptor is seems extra bright its porbably over supplying.

ellery said:
actully is better to buy higher capacity ie A value since most of the units are over rated ie 2A may actually be 1.2A Also good to check that at 5v is the output 5v and not 6.5 or 7V had one which 6V was outputing 8.5V.

One way to see if it over voltage without a test meter is look at the glow of the led is with the AC adaptor is seems extra bright its porbably over supplying.
Coz my Maha charger has a 7V, 1.3A adaptor.
If can use, then good. No need buy & carry extra stuff...

which shop did u get from ? do u need to format it before use?

deardeer said:
Hi guys. Just purchased the casing at the main office for $82.

I used the following

- 40gb 4200rpm Seagate
- Lexar 1gb 80X
- 4 X sanyo 2500
- CF card reader

Transferring 1gb took me an average of 4min 37sec (pretty FAST!). After which, I turn off the device for 20 seconds and started another cycle. I was able to transfer 10 gb of photos before the device hang on me. (letting it rest for 10min solve the problem)

At $82, its a pretty good deal. The casing also acts as a USB2.0 portable storage for your pc/laptop. Highly recommended for people who wants a cheaper alternative compared to Xdrive or Compactdrive.

the hdd is sold seperately. and u have to format it to FAT32 before it can be used.

AMDer said:
the hdd is sold seperately. and u have to format it to FAT32 before it can be used.
Also, FAT32 can only have a maximum partition size of 32GB.
Buying a 30GB HDD no point also, coz it's only about $10 cheaper than a 40GB.
What u need is just format the other 5GB into a second partition. This partition cannot be used when direct transfer to the photobank, but can be used when connected to a computer.

hi all, I have contact to get this product cheap

would like to know who is interested so I can get a quote

:)

i am interested. but am looking for a hdd first ! :)

leeter said:
i am interested. but am looking for a hdd first ! :)

hdd can't help u leh
think Sim Lim can get 40gb at $120

haha i was looking at 80gb range... then look for casing later.

Thnx for the price guide though.

jialuvqr said:

I am interested too.

jialuvqr said:

I suggest, you start a thread in the consumers corner. This is an incorrect forum, thread. :) Besides you may get more response there!

ok guys I will start a MO soon
now trying to get pics of the item then will start maybe tomolo
will inform u then

yea, looking forward for the MO ! :)

1.This is basically a USB-On-The-Go harddisk casing. You can get a similar drive from http://www.kenarservices.com/2002080100.htm (in Bugis, Midlink Plaza) for around $60.

2. You should be able to use a standard 5V adaptor, eg, those that comes with your USB hub. Those provide 1 A current, which is plenty for a portable harddisk.

3. I would still recommend an XDrive or equivalent instead. The LCD displays the amount of space left, and if any errors occurred during the copy. Much more reliable, and works as a card reader too. The latest models are very small and compact, and uses standard digicam batteries. Both adaptors and batteries are included, so there's no extra cost. Besides, companies like Vosonic ( makers of XDrive ) regularly provides firmware updates, which is non-existent for these no-name HDD casings.

chriszzz said:
1.This is basically a USB-On-The-Go harddisk casing. You can get a similar drive from http://www.kenarservices.com/2002080100.htm (in Bugis, Midlink Plaza) for around $60.

2. You should be able to use a standard 5V adaptor, eg, those that comes with your USB hub. Those provide 1 A current, which is plenty for a portable harddisk.

3. I would still recommend an XDrive or equivalent instead. The LCD displays the amount of space left, and if any errors occurred during the copy. Much more reliable, and works as a card reader too. The latest models are very small and compact, and uses standard digicam batteries. Both adaptors and batteries are included, so there's no extra cost. Besides, companies like Vosonic ( makers of XDrive ) regularly provides firmware updates, which is non-existent for these no-name HDD casings.

So is the Xdrive or compact drive better? I really need a portable storage solution for a 3 week trip to South Africa in June (lotsa shots :D)

I've been looking around, seems the compact drive has mixed reviews and I also agree that it must have at least a LCD screen to display some info.

Status
Not open for further replies.