Important - Nikkor 18-200mm VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverbullet

Feb 6, 2007
Singapore
I just gotten a new 18-200mm VR, and as I was reading the "notes on using vibration reduction", I came across the following,

"If you set the AF start (AF-ON) button to ON on the camera, vibration reduction will not operate."

Question, what is this "AF start (AF-ON) button to ON"? Also, how do you know if the VR is really working? I am using a D80.

1. I don't think you D80 has this button? It's there on the D200 and D2 bodies though. It actually activates the autofocus mechanism without you touching the shutter button. (redundant feature to some, but useful to others)

2. Working? You should(?) be able to hear a slight humming, or see the image in your viewfinder sort of "freeze" although this is debatable...

As long got a high pitch motor whining, VR is on.

Thanks guys for your input.

I realised that on top of the humming and motor noise, the lens also goes, "tuck, tuck" sound while trying to focus. Does all yours have the same orchestra as well? The image produce is alright above everything else, ie. the noise and all.

Thanks once again.

Rgds
SB

Yes, the "tuck" sound is there in mine and all others as well as far as I know as I too was a little cncerned when I bought the lens. Checked with my camera store and NSC and they confirm that it is normal.

I just gotten a new 18-200mm VR, and as I was reading the "notes on using vibration reduction", I came across the following,

"If you set the AF start (AF-ON) button to ON on the camera, vibration reduction will not operate."

Question, what is this "AF start (AF-ON) button to ON"? Also, how do you know if the VR is really working? I am using a D80.

Your D80 have AE-L/AF-L button right beside the eye piece (viewfinder) which is the same as AF-ON button function as on D2/D200 bodies.

If you've set yr AE-L/AF-L button to AF Lock, means once the button(AE-L/AF-L) is pressed, no VR will be activated till you press/half-press the shutter release button. :)

As for the VR working, others have explained.

Thanks folks, this really helps to calm my nerves.

And the AE/AF Lock from jnet6 is awesome, thanks!

regards

SB

Status
Not open for further replies.