Importance of a good makeup artist

Portraitures, is a make-up artist important?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
How many of us shoot portraits and find that a make-up artist is a MUST?

I'm a noob at portraiture but I dun see much point in shooting a model if there isn't any decent makeup or styling done. How many would agree with such a statement?

Let's discuss. ;)

How many of us shoot portraits and find that a make-up artist is a MUST?

I'm a noob at portraiture but I dun see much point in shooting a model if there isn't any decent makeup or styling done. How many would agree with such a statement?

Let's discuss. ;)

What is your definition of a portrait?

Do you mean pictures of pretty young things adorned with pretty clothes, and nice clean hair, and smile vacantly, and make people say "wow!", "nose bleed!"?

Is that what you mean by "portrait"? If so, you will not only need to have a good make-up artist, you will also need a stylist, an art director, and.....

Do you mean pictures of pretty young things adorned with pretty clothes, and nice clean hair, and smile vacantly, and make people say "wow!", "nose bleed!"?

Is that what you mean by "portrait"? If so, you will not only need to have a good make-up artist, you will also need a stylist, an art director, and.....

Well, that in general...

But with most of the portraits we take, how many of us actually see good styling work done before the shoots? I guess only those who wants quality and shoot mainly in the studio. So far, I've not joined up with those outdoor shoots, so I can't be sure on the number who provides a make-up artist at least....

For nose bleed shots.... no clothing required....:bsmilie:

For nose bleed shots.... no clothing required....:bsmilie:

No clothing doesn't mean no makeup or no styling... :sweat:

good make up artist make your life easier,

bad make up artist let you wait long long, and take all the blame for lousy photos.

if you referring to shooting XMM type of portraits, like you pay her or TFCD session...
yes, make up artist is very important, either you pay or ask XMM to pay, unless...

.....your XMM is really a XMM, below 12 years old..

IMO the make up plays a significant role when it comes to closeups and studio photography, especially when you're taking glamour shots. When it comes to outdoors, it is less significant compared to the studio shoots, neverthless, it still is important. - Well, all those are talking from portraits/glamour.

No make up is necessary if you're shooting Journalism or something like that. :p

i cannot comment on the organised shoots because i have nvr been to one but my wife is a mua and generally, if u are not looking at achieving any special look, i don't think u need a mua unless the model has terrible make up skills.

even the top model as need make up artist.. how can you say make up artist no important??

have you even see a (real professional) model not wearing any make up??

make up for photography it's not just simply apply some colors on faces,

it is making human faces to look more 3D on the 2D images, if the photographer lighting skill is sucks, he need make up artist more than other people.

make up for photography it's not just simply apply some colors on faces,

it is making human faces to look more 3D on the 2D images, if the photographer lighting skill is sucks, he need make up artist more than other people.

definitely agree. make up is a must. just how much and how good. :D

Pardon me, please?

I seem to get the impression from what were posted thus far, "portrait" = models shoot.

I think a portrait is a lot more than photographing models.

Pardon me, please?

I seem to get the impression from what were posted thus far, "portrait" = models shoot.

you must understand why the TS asking this question, if it is from a street shooter or photojournalist asking this question, it will have different type of responses.

Pardon me, please?

I would agree that a portrait is more than just shooting models, but generally in posed portraits, wouldn't we agree that a certain amount of makeup and styling it required?

Seriously, I'm waiting for Deadpoet to make his comments... :sweat:

I would agree that a portrait is more than just shooting models, but generally in posed portraits, wouldn't we agree that a certain amount of makeup and styling it required?

Seriously, I'm waiting for Deadpoet to make his comments... :sweat:
He would definitely say MUA is a must... PLUS HAIR STYLIST.... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.