Import taxes for digital camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariocaptain

Nov 28, 2008
Hi all,

I plan to order a refurbished Canon 45D from the US but I am not quite sure whether I have to pay any kind of custom taxes/tariffs or the like.

Do any of you have any experience regarding this?
Thankss.

Dave

the custom will need the invoice of your purchase, and tax you 7% of GST before clear the custom.

erm.? huh? so what happens if he has already paid tax in the US..

why dont u just open it up and use it, and bring it back the way everyone else brings back their camera? how would the custom know if u bought the item from overseas? sry i'm not too sure about the customs thingy, i'm just coming from a logical standpoint..

why dont u just open it up and use it, and bring it back the way everyone else brings back their camera? how would the custom know if u bought the item from overseas? sry i'm not too sure about the customs thingy, i'm just coming from a logical standpoint..
I believe TS is ordering a refurbished camera body online and ship it to Singapore.

For export set, usually local tax are exempted, anything goods ship into Singapore, subject to GST

When the parcel reaches the SIN custom, it will be hold and you will receive a letter asking for payment at custom office and bring in your shipment detail and invoice.

Pay at the counter and then collect the item. The last time (more than 1 year ago), custom don't have cash payment for tax. So call to check.

Hi all,

I plan to order a refurbished Canon 45D from the US but I am not quite sure whether I have to pay any kind of custom taxes/tariffs or the like.

Do any of you have any experience regarding this?
Thankss.

Dave

the custom will need the invoice of your purchase, and tax you 7% of GST before clear the custom.

Thank you for your response, I think this answers my question. The thing is with 7% GST then its not cheap anymore :cry:

Well, this is about import taxes that are imposed when getting goods into Singapore. If I travel with the cam, it should be fine, in fact I think I can even buy two of them without paying taxes. But here I plan to make an online order :dunno:

Last edited:
Even when you travel and customs finds the fresh box with all manuals and CD inside they might ask you to pay local taxes as it is obvious that you import the item. Might not have happened here yet but I know it from Europe. 22% GST is worth a more thorough look by customs officer.

Buy online from US can avoid local tax as you are ordering it from out of state. But it will incur Singapore 7% GST if the value is above S$400 at the Singapore custom.

Is it 22%? So high?:confused::eek:

singapore got one of the lowest GST tax in the world.. din u know... *** has always been highlighting this, comparing to other countries in the world :bsmilie:

Buy online from US can avoid local tax as you are ordering it from out of state. But it will incur Singapore 7% GST if the value is above S$400 at the Singapore custom.

S$400 is also inclusive of shipping/courier/mailing/insurance cost.

The Singapore custom only looks at the total line so yes, if everything adds up to more than S$400, then 7% GST will apply.

But wat happens if they dun indicate the price on the invoice?... and indicate as "gift"? Will they still charge GST?

Wat happens if its shipped via a courier company (e.g. UPS)? Will they still withhold it?

I getting a Tammy 70-200 from the US, definitely more than S$400 lor... Plus cuz my relative got it for me online, it's stated as "gift", no price on packing list...

Chamz...

But wat happens if they dun indicate the price on the invoice?... and indicate as "gift"? Will they still charge GST?

Wat happens if its shipped via a courier company (e.g. UPS)? Will they still withhold it?

I getting a Tammy 70-200 from the US, definitely more than S$400 lor... Plus cuz my relative got it for me online, it's stated as "gift", no price on packing list...

Chamz...

i heard if you indicate as gift then you send it over via courier then there's no GST. But in case if the item was damaged during the transportation the Insurance for the Courier company will not be able to cover the damage cost. Correct me if I'm wrong. thanks.

Chamz...
Insurance is one thing. But, Singapore custom can still value the item and charge GST at their discretion. I believe they keep records of how many "Gifts" you received and if this happens too often, then, they WILL start charging GST.

Last edited:
Anything from Adorama and B&H, based on experience is pretty much (Price + Shipping) Current Conv. Rate + 1.5% CC Comission + 7% GST (for anything above $400). Regardless if it's marked as gifts or not and the GST should be paid in cash else, you can't touch the goods so have to prepare.

So far, have bought 2 lenses and 1 refurbished DSLR. OK la, you'll save if conv. rate is good.

Last edited:
just a quick one:

I bought a lens in Manila, Philippines and I am going back to Singapore next week. Will I get taxed by the customs at Changi Airport?

The lens is brand new though...

just a quick one:

I bought a lens in Manila, Philippines and I am going back to Singapore next week. Will I get taxed by the customs at Changi Airport?

The lens is brand new though...
Are you trying to avoid paying the 7% GST? If so, you might want to use the lens while you are in Philippines and attach it to your camera body. You might also want to throw away the receipt, box, packing and manual so the custom won't find them even if they decide to search your luggage. ;p

However, if you are honest and the lens costs more than S$400, then you should declare it at the custom and pay the 7% GST.

I am using the lens now... EF 24-70L. Problem is I am going to put my lens into my camera bag and carry it with me on the plane. The box will be in my check-in luggage (will fill up the box with dried mangoes... my girlfriend loves it)

Do I still have to declare this new lens? It will be consider as "used" as this lens will be strictly for personal use and not for resale.

Legally, you need to declare the purchase since when you left Singapore, the lens was not in your bag and when you return, you have this additional lens with you. But in reality, I don't think everyone will be so honest about declaring all their purchases that are above $400. People bought Rolex watch from Hong Kong, LV bags from Paris, etc. because they want to save money. This will include trying to save the 7% GST as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.