Immitation canon lens?

MoeHammett

Aug 15, 2011
Admiralty,Singapore
Hi all, i'm quite new in photography, just bought a 60d kit II and intend to buy a wide angle lens. I'm really falling for a canon lens 10-22mm. I found a few ebay seller mainly from taiwan n hong kong selling at 1k+ which is 400+ cheaper than what canon singapore is selling. Is there any immitation canon lens? If there is,how will I know? Please advice.
Oh yeah,i dont like to buy 2nd hand thing,i dont know why..lol

MoeHammett said:
Hi all, i'm quite new in photography, just bought a 60d kit II and intend to buy a wide angle lens. I'm really falling for a canon lens 10-22mm. I found a few ebay seller mainly from taiwan n hong kong selling at 1k+ which is 400+ cheaper than what canon singapore is selling. Is there any immitation canon lens? If there is,how will I know? Please advice.

I think most of the seniors here will say that manufacturers won't even bother making an imitation lens. Unless you count third party lenses as fake..?

It's more expensive in Singapore because we have to pay TAX and duty. :bsmilie:

The shop prices of 10-22mm should be around 1.1-1.2k. Get from reputable shops here :)

i doubt there will be fake lenses out there... anybody with the technology to put up a decent lens together will be better off making their own brand, not imitating others... hence rest assured the chance is present, but very small...

do a proper test of the lens before you buy, 2nd hand or what doesnt matter just test it thoroughly... as long as the mechanism is working, and the lens is a sharp copy... it's good enough...

its normal if they sell cheaper to you.. You can just drop by.. Canon's official site..Singapore and Hongkong or other countries.
You will be surprise with the numbers..

also take note that goods that cost more than $400 (IIRC) will also be subject to tax coming in. factor that in and might as well buy locally, with warranty to boot

i doubt there will be fake lenses out there... anybody with the technology to put up a decent lens together will be better off making their own brand, not imitating others... hence rest assured the chance is present, but very small...

do a proper test of the lens before you buy, 2nd hand or what doesnt matter just test it thoroughly... as long as the mechanism is working, and the lens is a sharp copy... it's good enough...

Unless you can get fooled by a Lens Mug.....

Thanks for all the advice.. Hopefully I make the correct choice..

Bro... u do realise that any import from overseas to you that is more than S$400, you will have to pay GST, right? Which mean your lens if you ever ordered from overseas to be shipped to you will most likely be stopped in Paya Lebar post office and you will receive a notice to pay the GST or you cannot redeem your lens. Unless the company in the overseas under declared the value of the lens, then you might be able to get away from the tax (something which I highly not recommending as it carries an federal offence).

if u want to buy lens from HK, fly there personally to buy. cos its hard to bypass GST when delivered to SG.

btw there is no more international warranty for Canon lens bought in HK.

rhino123 said:
Bro... u do realise that any import from overseas to you that is more than S$400, you will have to pay GST, right? Which mean your lens if you ever ordered from overseas to be shipped to you will most likely be stopped in Paya Lebar post office and you will receive a notice to pay the GST or you cannot redeem your lens. Unless the company in the overseas under declared the value of the lens, then you might be able to get away from the tax (something which I highly not recommending as it carries an federal offence).

Ok,i dont know that,thanks for the info,cause usually they just declare it as a gift..lol

sinned79 said:
if u want to buy lens from HK, fly there personally to buy. cos its hard to bypass GST when delivered to SG.

btw there is no more international warranty for Canon lens bought in HK.

Yeah,they dont have..just saw it.thanks for the info.guess its the best I buy it from canon itself.. Lol..

MoeHammett said:
Sorry,i'm really green,whats a lens mug?

It's a lens mug. A mug that looks like an actual lens or made out of actual lens. ;)

Cowseye said:
Unless you can get fooled by a Lens Mug.....

I have a very sharp copy of a Canon lens mug to let go. Kept in dry cabi when not in use. Took it to my recent trip to Melacca and it performed outstandingly. You want? :D

digitalpimp said:
I have a very sharp copy of a Canon lens mug to let go. Kept in dry cabi when not in use. Took it to my recent trip to Melacca and it performed outstandingly. You want? :D

:sweat: can I lowball $2? :bsmilie: